Oil gauge problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sergio2

I have a Roadtrek 190 that is built on a Dodge Ram 3500. Since we had the oil and filter changed, the oil gauge drops to zero at idle after the engine comes up to temp. It comes back up as soon as the RPM's come back up. No knocking or ticking when it goes down to zero.
We have change the oil pressure switch and we have stil the same problem. Any idea to solve the problem? Thank you!

I am thinking a faulty filter was installed. There are other possible issues but you said:
" Since we had the oil and filter changed" and I doubt changing the OIL did it,  You have checked to make sure you have enough oil right?

I'm sure you've checked the oil. A severe overfill can cause that, but you would have pressure fluctuation at higher rpms. Change to a much lower viscosity oil?

My mecanic has also changed the oil because he was thinking the viscosity was not ok. The problem is stil there.

consider having a shop hook up a scan tool to your Dodge. they can use the data display mode to see exactly what info is being sent to the ECM and the gauge. If you're getting a good signal from the sending unit, then the problem could be with your gauge cluster. this may take some time to do, but would show if you are actually losing pressure or it's a malfunction. Also, most, if not all engines have a bypass valve built in to allow oil to bypass the filter if a problem develops such as a clog.

Back
Top Bottom