Caulking the Shower - Best type of Clear Caulk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there!

We just purchased a used 2012  26ft Keystone Springdale. Everything is working well, but noticed that the shower surround needs caulking in one spot - the surround isn't stuck to the wall in one eight inch section. It looks like it was sealed originally with a clear caulk, and I thought I would reseal it before any use. I am new to RV maintenance so this might be a very silly question - but is there a specific caulk that would work well for this situation?  Any tips on application?

Thank you!

SunshineAndHayfields
2012 Keystone Springdale
Ford F-350 Superduty

This topic was discussed on another forum that I'm on, in addition to this one.  Most of the folks, including one of the members who is an RV tech said that the surround should not be caulked at all.  They have a lip at the bottom that goes up behind the wall pieces to keep water out.  Doing it that way allows the panels to "float" a bit when the trailer is in motion from towing and movement.  Caulking it, according to the general concensus can sometimes cause the panels to break because of the trailer movement and them being rigid.  You might want to research it before you make a move with the caulk.

Most showers have at least some caulked seams, but it varies.  You can use any "tub & tile" caulk found in local hardware or home stores, clear or colored as you prefer. Often a silicone-type caulk is used, but I prefer a urethane such as Geocel Proflex.

Re-attach that loose section first, using an adhesive rather than caulk.

Thank you all!  The area I am referring to is the top of the shower surround where it meets trailer wall (at or above your head, depending on your height).  One more question - right now there is a clear silicone looking caulk on it.  How do you recommend removing that without damaging the trailer walls since it is caulked to the wall?  The Springdale is an entry level trailer and the walls look great but look like they could get damaged fairly easily since it is a lightweight model. I don't want to do any damage... Thanks again!

A plastic blade putty knife or scraper is the safest, but they don't work all that well. I use a regular metal putty/scraper blade and just be extra cautious. Or make a chisel-shape blade from a piece of hardwood. Most home & hardware stores have plastic blades these days. Even Walmart's hardware aisle.

Silicone caulk usually peels off, sometimes in long strips but other times in little pieces.

Back
Top Bottom