EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: My wheel bearing grease was beyond it's usefull life.  (Read 373 times)

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
My wheel bearing grease was beyond it's usefull life.
« on: August 03, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »
I decided ton inspect my brake shoes and bearings today. When I removed the drums, I found the grease has started to get a little liquidy if that's a word. This grease had about 9000 miles on it. It's a good thing I decided to pull them apart. I packed the bearings with new grease and replaced the seals. Now we're good to go again.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:33:41 PM by Rene T »
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

HappyWanderer

• ---
Re: My whell bearing grease was beyond it's usefull life.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:24:55 PM »
Not a difficult job, but not lots of fun either. How long did it take to get it done?
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:26:11 PM »
It is usually recommended that the brakes and wheel bearings are inspected once a year. This helps to avoid a grease seal failure, which then means a brake failure.  Good job catching it.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:35:36 PM »
Not a difficult job, but not lots of fun either. How long did it take to get it done?

In all about 8 hours which included taking all the parts to a former employers shop to use their parts cleaner. Tomorrow, I just need to adjust the shoes and mount the wheels.
AKA  Pep N Mem

HappyWanderer

• ---
Re: My wheel bearing grease was beyond it's usefull life.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
Yeah, I remember that it took a big chunk out of a weekend to get it done.

BTW, we'll be in the great state of New Hampshire in a couple of weeks for a rally, just south of Keene. Hope the weather holds.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:42:59 PM »
Yeah, I remember that it took a big chunk out of a weekend to get it done.

BTW, we'll be in the great state of New Hampshire in a couple of weeks for a rally, just south of Keene. Hope the weather holds.

It seems that most of the storms go through the south western part of NH which is in the Keene area.  :'(  I'll put in a good word for you.
AKA  Pep N Mem

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »
Some oil separation is normal and desirable.  For those folks that don't do regular repacking of wheel bearings, I wonder how they would explain a shelf life of two years in the can.  Read this information from Timken: http://www.timkenbearings.com/en-in/products/lubrication/Pages/faq.aspx

youracman

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »
Read all of the above posts with great interest......especially the link to Timken's article on lubricant shelf life.

Background:  Daughter just recently returned from a 2500 mile trip all over the desert SW with the grandkids in my Class C.  When she pulled in, I noted huge grease "spiders" on the front Alcoas......worst was the driver's side.  The whole wheel cove area seemed unusually hot so I shot the hubs with  my el cheapo Harbor Freight IR gun.........driver's side was 220 to 240 degees.....pass side about 180 degrees.  So off to Rush Ford Truck Center in Denver I went, where they told me that 100 degrees above ambient air was generally the max acceptable upper limit and most overheating is a result of improper bearing adjustment.  Wheels repacked and new seals installed.  No more hot hubs....and I even noticed some handling improvement!

Reading these posts, I believe the lube was w-a-y overdue for change out.  I am the 3rd owner; I suspect the last time the wheels were packed was probably when the original owner had a (front only) brake job done about 5 years ago.  Wow! Live and learn as they say.  Thanks forum members.
Ed Sievers/Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31C
Toad: 16 Soul with 6spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger."

Hosted by Over The Network