My wheel bearing grease was beyond it's usefull life.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I decided ton inspect my brake shoes and bearings today. When I removed the drums, I found the grease has started to get a little liquidy if that's a word. This grease had about 9000 miles on it. It's a good thing I decided to pull them apart. I packed the bearings with new grease and replaced the seals. Now we're good to go again.

Not a difficult job, but not lots of fun either. How long did it take to get it done?

It is usually recommended that the brakes and wheel bearings are inspected once a year. This helps to avoid a grease seal failure, which then means a brake failure.  Good job catching it.

HappyWanderer said:
Not a difficult job, but not lots of fun either. How long did it take to get it done?

In all about 8 hours which included taking all the parts to a former employers shop to use their parts cleaner. Tomorrow, I just need to adjust the shoes and mount the wheels.

Yeah, I remember that it took a big chunk out of a weekend to get it done.

BTW, we'll be in the great state of New Hampshire in a couple of weeks for a rally, just south of Keene. Hope the weather holds.

HappyWanderer said:
Yeah, I remember that it took a big chunk out of a weekend to get it done.

BTW, we'll be in the great state of New Hampshire in a couple of weeks for a rally, just south of Keene. Hope the weather holds.

It seems that most of the storms go through the south western part of NH which is in the Keene area.  :'(  I'll put in a good word for you.

Read all of the above posts with great interest......especially the link to Timken's article on lubricant shelf life.

Background:  Daughter just recently returned from a 2500 mile trip all over the desert SW with the grandkids in my Class C.  When she pulled in, I noted huge grease "spiders" on the front Alcoas......worst was the driver's side.  The whole wheel cove area seemed unusually hot so I shot the hubs with  my el cheapo Harbor Freight IR gun.........driver's side was 220 to 240 degees.....pass side about 180 degrees.  So off to Rush Ford Truck Center in Denver I went, where they told me that 100 degrees above ambient air was generally the max acceptable upper limit and most overheating is a result of improper bearing adjustment.  Wheels repacked and new seals installed.  No more hot hubs....and I even noticed some handling improvement!

Reading these posts, I believe the lube was w-a-y overdue for change out.  I am the 3rd owner; I suspect the last time the wheels were packed was probably when the original owner had a (front only) brake job done about 5 years ago.  Wow! Live and learn as they say.  Thanks forum members.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom