How to wire an automatic transfer switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryangee

IM LOOKING FOR SOME HELP . I HAD A 30 AMP AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWICTH BUT IT WENT BAD . I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO HOOK ALL THE WIRES BACK UP TO THE ORIGINAL SET UP BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CANT FIGURE OUT THE WIRING. I HAVE 2 CIRCUITS COMING FROM GENERATOR  A BOX THAT HAS LABELS SAYING FROM GENERATOR, FROM SHORE POWER , AND TO AIR CONDITIONER. I HAVE 2 CIRCUITS THAT GO TO THE MOTORHOME PANEL. SO WHEN I TIE IN THE SHORE POWER CORD WHAT DO I HOOK IT IN TO  ? DOES ANYONE HAVE A DIAGRAM OF HOW TO HOOK UP THE ENTIRE CIRCUIT ?

I have no idea how to help other than to say from past experience, people who can help are going to ask what type, model equipment you have. And probably even what type RV and model RV you have. Post that and I'm sure answers will start flying in!

And you might photograph and document what is in place before you take anything apart. If you already have it apart you will likely need a really experienced RV electrician to put it all together again.

The other answer is to find an identical MH, and see how it is wired.

Hope it works out!

I'm not sure what the air conditioning wire did, but the rest make sense.  It should be pretty easy to pull down a wiring schematic online for the brand and model of your transfer switch. 

If you have a 30 amp shore power cord, one of the wire pairs going into the motorhome feeds the 30 amp breaker panel.  This is where you would connect the shore power cord if you were going to bypass the transfer switch.

The other one is a 20 amp circuit for a rear air conditioner.  Sometimes manufacturers include the wiring even if there isn't a second a/c installed.

Same thing coming from your generator, one set of wires is a 30 amp circuit to feed the main panel, the other is a 20 amp circuit to feed the second air conditioner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transfer Switch wiring:

Generator 30 amp out ------  Generator In  Transfer switch out ----- Main electrical panel

Shore Power -----------------  Shore Power In

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second A/C wiring:

Generator 20 amp out ------------------------------------------------- Second A/C 20 Amp In

Back
Top Bottom