More wallpaper issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azpackrat

The Arizona heat has finally gotten to the wallpaper in our MH.  Specifically, it's peeling off in some places. It's fairly easy to remove while in this state, but it leaves a serious amount of adhesive residue on the luan. Remember the saying "fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - shame on me"? simply replacing the wallpaper is not a solution. I'd love to paint, but first need to remove the adhesive and then deal with the rough texture of the luan.  We're talking a 30' Class A, so you can imagine the amount of wall space we're talking about.  Any simple solutions out there? Other creative ideas you've seen? We're replacing the flooring this winter so we could add another project.

I don't have any suggestions other than luan is not a strong wood. I knew someone who painted over some pretty bad wall board with I think it was called high hiding paint. Whatever you try, pick a spot sort of out of sight. Sort of like what they tell you to do with hair dye but you don't and your head turns into a giant blister. Not that I would know.

Ha ha ha, just did a search on Google how to remove glue

Attachments

• workers-sanding-floor.jpg
    workers-sanding-floor.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 19
Removing glue with a solvent requires learning what type of glue it is (to choose the right solvent). Acetone, lacquer thinner, or MEK dissolves most adhesives, but it's nasty stuff to use and potentially dangerous (fumes, fire hazard, and risk of damaging something else). Sanding is safer but can be arduous and dusty.

Home centers and hardware stores will have "wallpaper strippers", but the "wallpaper" on your RV walls may not be the traditional vinyl stuff. Typically it will be pre-finished wallboard, where the covering was applied in some factory using an industrial adhesive process.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom