Xcite Infotainment System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeneS

Has anyone else had a complete failure of the Xcite system?  Per dealer, all power to the head unit is intact, unit is just "dead". 

Purchased View new in March, 2016, unit died on trip in June, 2017, of course putting it out of warranty.  I did purchase extended warranty with the View, but they are offering to pay only about 1/4 of replacement value of the head unit according to the dealer.  I did have the same dealer perform the recall removal of the Axxcess interface just prior to the trip.  Wondering if there may be a relationship? 

Any similar experiences?

2016 Winnebago View24M

Hi Gene,

I have not experienced this, however I thought you might be able to help me. My XCITE 9" GPS unit has never worked properly since new. They said it is working now and the developer (from Germany) sent me a video of his GPS system operating properly. I do not think the location icon should "jump" like it does. It should be smooth.

Could you look at this short 30 second movie and tell me if yours acted like this?  I sure would appreciate it!

www.bendykowski.us/GPS.mp4

Steve in Iowa
2017 View J

Sounds like both of you might benefit from a call to Winnebago, even if out of warranty.

Artist--according to your video, , you were running 49 mph in a 25 zone?  no wonder you were having problems :p

Seriously, have you tried updating the Rand McNally Map? That may be an easy fix (I would be glad to explain process if you need).  I have not had the slow response problem on the map, but have seen others that have (Skinnie Winnies Yahoo users group). Mixed results from those folks from antenna placement to software update from RiverPark, the supplier of that Xcite head unit to Winnebago.

Gene - The video came from Germany run in demo mode to show me what normal operation should look like. Is this how your screen looked, or did your location icon move smoothly?

Tom--View has been at dealer for a month now to fix three items:
1. the awning.  Carefree--parts just fell off the motor, found in bottom of housing.  Had to make a 3000 mile trip with awning tied up with cargo straps, reinforced with gorilla tape and tie wraps.  I had to prepay $260 before they would order the motor, which in my opinion was a manufacturing defect to fall apart in that manner.

2. Impaired propane supply that won't allow Generator to run consistently (a problem since I bought the unit, also a point of warranty contention.  Earlier attempts involved dealer, who stated it was a Cummins problem.  Cummins, who for $280 assured me that it was a hose that was kinked during installation, thus a Winnebago problem.  Same Winnebago dealer assured me there was no kink--vent line may have blocked.  Now, same dealer is saying that regulator is weak, and there seems to be a kink in the fuel line that may be impeding flow.  Waiting for approval from EXTENDED Warranty folks to approve replacement!  A conversation just yesterday with Winnebago customer service did assure me that they would "work with the dealer on that one" since I  had earlier conversations with them regarding the issue. (and earlier, they did in fact reimburse the expenditure to Cummins that did in fact point out the problem back in November!)

3. The Infotainment System.  When I mentioned that to Winnebago, I swear he was holding a silver cross to the telephone while stating that that would be a RiverPark issue.

Artist--  I was excited to see the Rand McNally in the View, as I have used a 7" Rand McNally 7710 for nearly 5 years, and have always been pleased with it.

No, I have never experienced the jumpy icon. Transitions have always been smooth.  I did have it stall out (either screen lock up, or more frustrating, self-reboot) several times before updating Rand McNally map/software.

Tom said:
Sounds like both of you might benefit from a call to Winnebago, even if out of warranty.

Tom, Mine is still in warranty and I called Winnebago. They wanted me to work with the dealer. The dealer just replaces parts. I am now working directly with with RiverPark and Rand McNally. I have had 5 cards sent to me, a new core unit, a new GPS antenna (which I plugged in and held out the window and placed in other positions), used the dock to update when instructed by tech support, and now am talking directly to one of the developers in Germany.

The unit locks up after 15 minutes to 2 hours, often giving a "fatal error" dialog box. The GPS location icon "jerks" along the road and does not move smoothly on the screen. The developer said that is normal and will not be as smooth as a Garmin or phone GPS. He sent a movie of what is supposedly "normal" operation.

I have a hard time believing the "jerking" motion of the location icon is normal and am looking for feedback from others who have the unit. I don't wish to hijack this thread though!

Maybe John Canfield has a better contact at Winnebago to resolve your collective issues  ???

GeneS said:
Artist--  I was excited to see the Rand McNally in the View, as I have used a 7" Rand McNally 7710 for nearly 5 years, and have always been pleased with it.

No, I have never experienced the jumpy icon. Transitions have always been smooth.  I did have it stall out (either screen lock up, or more frustrating, self-reboot) several times before updating Rand McNally map/software.

Thanks Gene... the fact that your XCITE/Infotainment unit was smooth helps me in my resolve to continue to demand a fix for my GPS, and not settle for the answer the developer gave me!

Artist--  Wait up--I just re-viewed the demo video.  In this case, notice the map is zooming in as the vehicle is approaching destination.  Yes, that would be normal--notice the blocks are getting progressively smaller as well.

That being said, if you are cruising down the highway at 55 mph, the transition should be relatively smooth.  Vehicle icon should move along thru interchanges in real time, and  mile markers should be updating in real time.  Speed indicator should be very consistent with your actual road speed.

GeneS said:
Tom--View has been at dealer for a month now to fix three items:
1. the awning.  Carefree--parts just fell off the motor, found in bottom of housing.  Had to make a 3000 mile trip with awning tied up with cargo straps, reinforced with gorilla tape and tie wraps.  I had to prepay $260 before they would order the motor, which in my opinion was a manufacturing defect to fall apart in that manner.

2. Impaired propane supply that won't allow Generator to run consistently (a problem since I bought the unit, also a point of warranty contention.  Earlier attempts involved dealer, who stated it was a Cummins problem.  Cummins, who for $280 assured me that it was a hose that was kinked during installation, thus a Winnebago problem.  Same Winnebago dealer assured me there was no kink--vent line may have blocked.  Now, same dealer is saying that regulator is weak, and there seems to be a kink in the fuel line that may be impeding flow.  Waiting for approval from EXTENDED Warranty folks to approve replacement!  A conversation just yesterday with Winnebago customer service did assure me that they would "work with the dealer on that one" since I  had earlier conversations with them regarding the issue. (and earlier, they did in fact reimburse the expenditure to Cummins that did in fact point out the problem back in November!)

3. The Infotainment System.  When I mentioned that to Winnebago, I swear he was holding a silver cross to the telephone while stating that that would be a RiverPark issue.
LP regulators have been problematic, at least, in Era's - I've had 3 changed on my 2014.  I think the Views system is basically the same.  The last time, I changed it myself and put in a better grade regulator (not Camco) and added an in-line filter.  So far, so good.

I think there is a software update for the Infotainment system.  I don't know if it would fix your problem, but worth a try.  I don't know which brand/model you have, but you should be able to find info on the Riverpark website.

Thanks John.  Any and all help toward a reasonable solution would be great.  I was hoping to start a new adventure as early as Tuesday (8/8), but need to get my View out of captivity.  As of Thursday I left it at "fix the propane issue and I can wait on the stereo."  Hoped to get it out of hock late Friday or today, but no such luck.  I truly hope they can turn it loose by Monday.

I can use the house stereo for audio, and stand alone Rand McNally 7720 and/or Google Maps/Waze for GPS.  I would miss the backup camera, but can survive without it for now.

An update...

I have not found anyone yet with a 2017-2018 View/Navion 9" Rand McNally system whose icon did not "jump" as shown in my movie. After talking to several that said theirs was smooth, it turned out they had the 7" system.

My dealer drove 2 new 2018 units and the icon jumped also.

Called Winnebago's factory customer service and also talked to their tech that works on them and they had to admit they did not know how the icon should behave. They could not refer me to anyone at Winnebago that could answer my question!

I am very disappointed with this system given the cost and that no one can answer my question, except the developer from Germany who says this is 'normal'.

Steve in Iowa
2017 View J

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom