Bob's flyfishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyfisherBob

MN Blue Skies said:
Hello FlyFisherBob,

What caught my attention was the FlyFisher.  I'd be interested in learning where you fish and for what.  There are several people who fly fish on the forum however that's a different topic.

I've been flyfishing for 35+ years.....learned how to in the Mts. of Colorado, fished alot of places in Alaska(lived there for 13 months). I've fished in most states from Colorado to Calif. I fish for rainbow,browns,salmon,steelhead.....the occasional grayling and dolly varden. It's one of my many loves of life......I practice catch & release only.....nothing like hooking into a beautiful wiley trout/salmon on a ultra light weight system and releasing it to swim away healthy and free!!

Edit: Fixed quote.

Hey Bob,
I love flyfishing.  I fish ultralight.  I settled down to a 2 or 3 wt.  I would love to fish out west for trout. I grew up in the midwest farm country and I think there is nothing better than a bull bluegill hitting a popper.  Do you tie?  Good luck with your search for a camper.

Mary

prairiegirl said:
Hey Bob,
I love flyfishing.  I fish ultralight.  I settled down to a 2 or 3 wt.  I would love to fish out west for trout. I grew up in the midwest farm country and I think there is nothing better than a bull bluegill hitting a popper.  Do you tie?  Good luck with your search for a camper.

Mary

Catching a blue gill or crappie on a light weight rod looks impressive.  Unfortunately my eye sight is too poor to tie flies.  I use a 5-6 wt rod.  I would love to meet up with other fly anglers and will travel to meet up.  So are there any fly anglers who want to get together?

MN Blue Skies said:
Catching a blue gill or crappie on a light weight rod looks impressive.  Unfortunately my eye sight is too poor to tie flies.  I use a 5-6 wt rod.  I would love to meet up with other fly anglers and will travel to meet up.  So are there any fly anglers who want to get together?

This sounds a little fishy!!!  :eek: ::) ;D

I'm sad to report that I haven't fished outside of Minnesota so I had to research Grayling and Dolly Varden.  That must be awesome fishing for them however if you have ever fished the streams in Minnesota you already know we have the smartest trout on the planet.  (At least that's my excuse! If Binary Bob is around he will confirm.)

I'm trying to talk DH (dear husband) into camping near the Kettle River in MN so that I can go fly fishing.  I bought him an excellent fly rod combo from Pro Bass a few years ago.  The package still hasn't been opened.  :eek:  :(  DH is a great guy.  Very few husbands would buy their wife flies for her birthday!  ;D  I just had a thought ... maybe we could trade or sell his unused fly rod for a different fly rod or a Tenkara rod for me!

I am surprised at how many people are intimidated by a fly rod.  "It's too complicated" or "I like to fish from a boat", etc. etc. Granted I was a little slow in learning.  For the first few years I mainly caught tree branches.  I just got so excited/frustrated by those trout starring back at me from the clear MN streams I forgot to pay attention to what was behind me.  I'm pretty sure those trout were sticking out imaginary tongues at me. 

In closing just ignore Rene, the poster just before me.  :p  He is always picking on me.  If you are open to free flowing conversation and a bit of good humored ribbing please consider joining us on the Wednesday night chats.  Rene sometimes graces us with his presence. 

Made an expedition to Cherokee North Carolina last summer, frikkin rained torrentially for the first 2 days. Being a beginner, the locals assured me the water in the river would recede by morning. Sure enough the water receded and I walked down to the bank of the river in the center of town.  It took me at least 20 minutes to tie a fly on the leader, and finally got the hang of it by letting the river take the fly downstream.  Got 2 MONSTER hits, but had too much line out to set the hook both times. Very frustrated because I couldn't see to tie the knots, and the fish pretty much made me look silly.  Will keep trying next spring...

back when i was 12yrs old i bought one of those fly tying stands and had at the art of fly tying. my mother had several peacock feather dusters with parts missing.
never caught a thing on any of my masterpieces but i'm sure they would have worked in an ocean somewhere with very hungry fish.
in 2017 i got back into the fly fishing wading local streams here in ky. bought a ascend 10 fishing kayak and fly fish regularly in a local lake here. i had to go to
L8-F line to get the casting action i needed because of being so low in the water. also barrel rolling was easier with the heavier line.
i found my fishing experience was far better buying instead of tying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom