LP Gas score!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prairiegirl

A local rental place had 20# fill ups for $10.  I took my three empty bottles(tanks??) and they filled them up.  They also re-certified them.  I'm a happy camper.  :D

Mary

I know of two places within 5 miles off work that day a $5 20# fill up on Thursdays.

kdbgoat said:
I know of two places within 5 miles off work that day a $5 20# fill up on Thursdays.

Don't rain on her parade there kdbgoat, she's a happy camper! (And it wasn't Thursday.)  ;)

Not trying to rain on her parade. She got a good deal, and deserves to be a happy camper. When I was filling bottles, I would be tickled to death.

Deals on propane?  What an idea!!  ;D

I should probably shop around, but I've always gone to Menard's since they installed their LP fill station.  20# grill bottles are around $19 I think and the two 30# bottles on my TT were $27 each last year.  I maybe fill propane once or twice a year, but I'll take the deals if they're out there.

I would go for $5.00.  ;) I have to drive 10 miles to get a bottle filled.  I usually just swap out tanks for $20.  They only put in 15 pounds so you're not getting a full tank.  I pick out the best looking bottle and try not to dwell on the 15 pound thing.

Mary

Love's Travel Stop near us fills them for $2.49 per gallon.  A 20lb tank runs about $11 to $12.

I had a 30# cylinder filled in upstate NY today at a local gas station/convenience store for $14.99. 20# cylinders are $9.99. Those are the going price here right now, not specials. Oddly, this store does half-price LP fill ups on Mother's Day every year... :)

The going rate for LP in rural areas is around $2.50/gallon, but some areas (usually urban) are more like $3.50-$4.00. Even so, a totally empty 20# tank won't take more than 4.5 gallons and typically are under 4.0 for a refill. So Mary's $10 is an excellent price for an urban area but fairly routine for a more rural locale.

I know one place in a nearby small city that charges a flat $20 (+ tax!) to refill a 20# BBQ tank, whether it takes an ounce or 4.7 gallons. I avoid that store! A local hardware store is $2.65/gallon.

NY_Dutch said:
I had a 30# cylinder filled in upstate NY today at a local gas station/convenience store for $14.99. 20# cylinders are $9.99. Those are the going price here right now, not specials. Oddly, this store does half-price LP fill ups on Mother's Day every year... :)

The perfect gift for any mom - propane!??

prairiegirl said:
I would go for $5.00.  ;) I have to drive 10 miles to get a bottle filled.  I usually just swap out tanks for $20.  They only put in 15 pounds so you're not getting a full tank.  I pick out the best looking bottle and try not to dwell on the 15 pound thing.

Mary

Propane tanks like that are only allowed to legally be filled to 80% of their rated capacity to allow for expansion of the contents when the temperatures go up......so that is quite normal.

xrated said:
Propane tanks like that are only allowed to legally be filled to 80% of their rated capacity to allow for expansion of the contents when the temperatures go up......so that is quite normal.

"Gas station" tank swaps are underfilled though, to 15# instead of the max allowable 18# (in a 20# tank).  That's one of Menard's selling points for their propane refill services.  They actually put the tank on a scale and weigh the amount going in, to supposedly ensure that you are getting the most weight possible.

You guys made me go look at what the local prices are. $2.95 gal seems to be pretty typical.  :mad: Although it is better than the highest I have payed of $4.00 a gal. I just got 10 gal to get me through the trip.
Bill

scottydl said:
"Gas station" tank swaps are underfilled though, to 15# instead of the max allowable 18# (in a 20# tank).  That's one of Menard's selling points for their propane refill services.  They actually put the tank on a scale and weigh the amount going in, to supposedly ensure that you are getting the most weight possible.

Wouldn't 80% of a 20 lb tank be 16 lbs........not 18?

Here we go again, another 80% fill discussion ::)
Yes, at 80% fill, a 20# bottle holds 20# of liquid propane. That's 4.7 gallons. A 30# bottle at 80% fill holds 30#. That's 7 gallons.
Those exchanges used to be 17#, and now have gone down to 15#. And with their super high prices, they just add insult to injury. The only way I would use an exchange is if I came across a bottle close to a recert date, and traded it in. Even then, I would probably just go buy a new bottle.

xrated said:
Wouldn't 80% of a 20 lb tank be 16 lbs........not 18?

Uh, right... just checking to make sure you were paying attention.  :-X  You passed!  :D

Arithmetic aside (since I'm obviously lacking there), the Menard's in my area advertised 18# in a 20# tank.  Maybe some regulations have changed since then.

And maybe to clarify the "80%", it's 80% of the total volume of the cylinder, not the LP weight capacity that its rated for. They're called "20# cylinders" because that's how much LP they can legally hold.

As Dutch says, the LP bottle/tank capacity is legally measured by its volume, which is designated as the water capacity (WC).  They use water capacity as the measure because most other chemicals are compressible (even in liquid form) while water is not.  The number actually stamped on the bottle is the WC weight, not gallons. Usually 47.6 lbs for a common "20#" BBQ tank. The other number stamped on the bottle is the Tare Weight (TW), which is the weight of the empty container.

Weight is used because scales are cheap and simple to use and to verify accuracy. Also, back in the day freight fees and commerce taxes were based on weight, which was the easiest thing for the tax collector to measure.

More than you ever wanted to know, right?  ;)

My local hardware store charges $16 to fill a 20 lb tank.  Sounds like I could hunt around a find it a little cheaper but it's probably not worth the effort.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom