EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Dometic Refrigerator Issue - PLEASE HELP!  (Read 325 times)

avansandt

Dometic Refrigerator Issue - PLEASE HELP!
« on: August 05, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »
I have a 2017 Forest River R-Pod 179, and I cannot seem to get the refrigerator (Demotic RM8501) working when it's set to use the propane. I've used about 2 months ago and it worked fine. It is currently working fine on DC and AC power, but not on propane.

The flame doesn't appear to be ignighting properly. I have a new propane tank attached, and the water heater and stove burners are working as expected.

When I turn the refrigerator on I can see the spark trying to ignite the propane. It'll click several times and then I'll see a blue flame for a split second, but it does not stay lit. As expected, the refrigerator tries to light the flame several times over the course of a couple minutes but then the display starts flashing and beeping. When I his the reset button on the display the process repeats and the refrigerator still doesn't work.

I'm not sure if it's the burner, the gas line, or something else. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Dometic Refrigerator Issue - PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
Welcome to the RV Forum!

The first place I'd check is the burner itself.  It's not very big, like a large pilot flame and it's easy to get blocked by insect nests, debris falling from the chimney, etc.

Open the outside door so you can see the rear of the refrigerator.  You'll see the boiler assembly in the lower right corner, it will have the gas line from the valve running into it.

Slide open the inspection cover and you'll see the burner just inside.  Use compressed air (or blow thru a straw) to get rid of any debris that may be clogging the burner.

Next would be the connections to the refrigerator's circuit board.  The flame generates a very small current that tells the board it is lit, try wiggling the edge connectors on the board to break through any accumulated corrosion thats blocking this signal.  If this works, take off the connector and gently clean the board contacts with a pink pencil eraser.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:48:44 PM by Lou Schneider »

massspike

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:40:55 PM »
Try lighting the stove first to prime the system. I've had this issue with my last 2 trailers -- you can hear the igniter but there is no fuel in the system.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
You still under warranty?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Old Blevins

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »
I think you may have misspelled "demonic", but that aside...

If the other suggestions don't fix it, I've usually fixed mine by taking out the three or four screws that hold the lower flue assembly around the burner, then vacuuming out everything I can reach in the flue and burner assembly.  As Lou said, it's often debris that's blocking the burner that causes problems like this.  Be careful not to bump the burner parts with your vacuum.
Jim
------------------------------------
2006 Silverado SRW 1-Ton 4WD Diesel
2006 Arctic Fox 29V
1985 Brawley 2-Horse Straight-Load Trailer

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 07:49:07 PM »
Try lighting the stove first to prime the system. I've had this issue with my last 2 trailers -- you can hear the igniter but there is no fuel in the system.

He said the stove and heater were working.
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »

I had the same problem and just a few weeks ago had my trailer at the Winnebago factory and they said to do the same thing quoted above.
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

2Goldens

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 07:31:47 AM »
I have the same issue with my refrigerator.  However, I have a different brand.  But my propane regulator was not calibrated correctly and not delivering enough propane.  The dealer had to adjust the pressure to get it to work correctly.  I would take it back to the dealer and have them check the regulator. 
Anthony

2014 F150 FX4 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
2016 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL
2011 Jayco Skylark 21FVB (Sold)

Hammster

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:44:55 AM »
I had a similar problem with the Norcold in our AF. It's possible there is still some air trapped in the propane line between the stove and fridge. I also lit the stove, and ran the furnace, to try and "prime the system" and the fridge still wouldn't work with propane. The Norcold manual has a process for bleeding the air out of the line. It was really simple, and worked. Maybe Dometic has the same thing in their manual? HTH
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali. 6.6L Diesel. 4x4
Arctic Fox 22G.

KKTravel

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 01:23:22 AM »
It sounds like you are getting gas because it does light and then it goes out. 
Typical symtom of a bad igniter board - if you are under warranty - get them to test and fix. otherwise you can bring it into an RV shop for repairs or use refrig model and serial number to get an aftermarket ( like Dinosaur) board and replace.  Easy fix.
This happened to us on our way to Alaska in 2007 - my RV repair guy diagnosed it over phone from description of problem - said he had just used his last replacement board on a service call and suggested we call big rv dealer with parts department about 4 hours ahead on our route. They put part on will call. Changed out board in 10 minutes parked outside dealer and off we went.

Best of luck!
Kathy G

KKTravel

• ---
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 01:28:17 AM »
Oops  - forgot to say go through Lou's excellent checklist first!! :o

Hosted by Over The Network