Adding a solar panel to TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Armin

I have searched the library, as well as forum posts, but I'm unable to find the info I'm looking for. If this has been covered and I missed it, I apologize but perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. I thought this subject would have been covered many times... but apparently not.

I've added a solar panel and solar charge controller to my travel trailer. Currently, I connect the solar charge controller (http://sunforceproducts.com/products/30-amp-12-volt-digital-solar-charge-controller/) directly to my TT battery but disconnect it when I run my generator or when I plug into shore power. It's a bit of an inconvenience but I'm concerned about having the solar charge controller and the TT's built-in 3-stage converter/charge controller hooked to the battery at the same time. I can't help but wonder which charge controller would be in charge... if that makes sense. I'd like to permanently connect the solar controller into the system if possible.

My question: Is it safe to leave both systems connected or do I really need to disconnect my solar charge controller when I plug into 120V (shore and/or gen).

TIA!

I installed a couple of solar panels to my TT a couple of years ago.  There was nothing in the instructions or my research that said to not have more than one input connected at a time to the batteries, so I have always left my solar regulator connected.  This also makes sense to me because I sometimes have my shore power plugged in and my truck electrical connector plugged in - so having multiple inputs doesn't seem to be a problem.  I'm sure someone here can explain why, but somehow my 3 stage charger/convertor knows how to play well with my solar regulator and my truck regulator.

Cheers!

No real need to disconnect.  The smart controllers for both systems "read" the voltage state and respond accordingly. There is probably some small difference in the algorithms each controller uses, but one of them will lead the way and the other will think the batteries are already charged and do little or nothing.

If the solar system is relatively inactive, i.e. its not sunny and not charging much, the house onboard system will dominate. If the solar system is actively charging, odds are it has the higher voltage and will dominate as long as the sun is bright. It doesn't really make any difference to the batteries.

If you had a "dumb" controller on the trailer that was always pushing amps at the battery, chances are the solar system wouldn't do much at the same time, but you stated the trailer system is a 3-stage charger.

Thanks for the info! Good to know I can leave the solar hooked up permanently... makes things a little less complicated.  :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom