Plugging into shore power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwelveVoltMan

I've searched for an answer to this question, but couldn't find anything, so I'm posting here.  I have heard that it is not a good practice to plug your camper's power cord into a live outlet.  From what I understand, it is best to turn off the power to the pedestal, then plug in the power cord, then turn the breaker back on at the pedestal.  If this is true, why?  How does this damage the RV?  Thanks.

Will not damage your RV exactly.  But hot plugging will over time burn your plugs pins and damage the pedestal's receptacle.  Remember, unless you turn everything off the converter will still light off the instant you plug in.
As a camp host I have learned to ALWAYS turn off the breakers so the next camper wont have to worry.

Edit: For clarification, fixed typos.

How does this damage the RV?

To add to what donn said: if there is power on the plug when you plug in, you get arcing (maybe not visible to you, but it's there), and repeated arcing will cause damage to the connections, both plug and pedestal jack. And it's best to have air conditioning, electric heaters, most anything that draws more than a light bulb on AC, turned off before turning off the pedestal breaker. The less current flow, the less potential damage.

I'm in the habit of turning the main breaker off inside the camper instead. That way, there's no chance of starting the generator under load during its monthly excersize.

It doesn't really matter which end is turned off, as long as there is no current flow.

Back
Top Bottom