When Driving Your RV On Trips: A note from a tourist town resident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxr

This has gotten so bad it actually made me register to hopefully educate some of you RV owners and hopefully save some lives and some nerves.

Personally, I believe that if you cannot drive your RV at LEAST the speed limit on highways, you shouldn't be allowed to own one because some of you are causing dangerous situations because of your inability to drive the speed limit and to take others into consideration.

I travel a highway to and from work that goes to a tourist destination and 90% of the slow traffic (meaning 10-40 MPH UNDER the speed limit) are caused by RV drivers.

Not a day goes by that I travel the highway and it's not being congested by an RV driver doing 10-40 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit.

They have even put in a pull over lane for those of you slow drivers but many are too oblivious to figure out that the pull out lane is for THEM (you) and take no regard for others. Pretty selfish.

There are some folks who dont mind passing RV's in a safe and lawful way when it's clear to do so. Unfortunately, there are some non-RV drivers who dont realize they are causing another dangerous situation by following RV drivers (by not passing themselves) making it a long line of cars for those of us who want to drive the posted speed limit.

So please, take into consideration that big long line of vehicles behind you as you tinker along in your own little world giving no regard for those of us who can actually drive the speed limit.

Attachments

• rvd1.jpg
    rvd1.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 257
  • rv2d.jpg
    rv2d.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 222
  • rv3d.jpg
    rv3d.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Engineering-Page2.jpg
    Engineering-Page2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 229
Yeah, sometimes I can pull over. Sometimes I can't. Often times the turnouts provided are not near big enough for a rig of my size (nearly 60' when pulling the Jeep).  Also many times the speed limits set on many of the 2 lane back roads are set way too high for even passenger cars to navigate, let alone an RV.

I can sympathize with you though. I spent 50+ years in a tourist state. Visitors everywhere you go, any time of day or night. It can be a pain sometimes.  But you get over it.  After all, tourist dollars pump a lot of funds into local economies. 

Your comprehension of the English language is lacking. It is a speed LIMIT. A limit is described as follows: "a restriction on the size or amount of something permissible or possible". That means that if the speed limit is 50 mph that means that 50 is the fastest speed you can legally drive. It is not the speed that you are suppose to drive. How fast you actually go depends on a lot of factors such as weather, time of day and the amount of traffic. Here in Florida I have people crawl right up on my tail and tailgate me even when I am doing the posted speed limit in the right hand lane. Why don't these idiots pass me when there is plenty of safe places to do so? It is not the slow drivers that are causing the problems and the wrecks, it is the fast impatient drivers that do. People need to worry about their own driving instead of complaining about other people. It would be much safer.

Sorry, I'll drive at a speed and manor which I determine to be safe for my vehicle under specific road conditions. No one in the rear view mirror is going to push me into doing something stupid.

Welcome to The RV Forum! :D

I hope you decide to stick around and learn the many wonderful parts of the RV lifestyle that you currently don't yet appear to understand.

I wonder if the OP has ever driven a Motorhome?  Does he know that many motorhomes can't do the speed limit going up hills?

He said a Highway - but all the images were of 2 lane roads NOT highways IMO.
And where I'm from all 2 lane roads without speed limit signs are 55mph roads.  So he see's someone everyday
doing 15mph in a 55 zone?  I doubt that.  45mph I could believe - but I guess he expects someone to drive the speed limit
even when they are unfamiliar with the area or what is around the next bend.  Again it's different in a 40'+ MH then it is in a car.

I agree with SargeW - when I tow my trailer I'm 65' and you can't just pull over anywhere.

So that sign saying if 5 vehicles are behind you - you have to pull over is not doable for everyone out there.
And maybe I missed it but I didn't see any pullouts in any of the images he posted.

I can see why he might get upset.  Maybe he's not the type to leave earlier and doesn't think he should have to but that everyone
on the road should do the speed limit no matter what.  Well that ain't going to happen.

I agree with HappyWanderer. It is my responsibility to drive my RV in a legal and safe manner. It is everyone else's responsibility to drive their vehicles in a legal and safe manner. Have a little common sense and understanding, and together we can get through traffic without a wreck.

With a larger and longer vehicle, greater stopping distance, restricted views, and unfamiliar roads, I'm gonna be going a bit under the speed limit. Deal with it!!.

I would like to know the speed limit on that 2-lane highway. With essentially no shoulders, I can't believe that it is over 55 mph. Sooo, 40 mph under that is 15 mph; it seems to be pretty ridiculous to state that traffic moves that slow -- unless there is or has been an accident. Every day, no way!

R

What Ive gathered from this one post wonder....they are unhappy because the ones with larger vehicles are getting in this persons way. How do tractor trailers tickle your fancy? some know how to get up and go, others take a little bit. You dont see me on thetruckersreport complaining on how their clutch work is slow and needs to get faster.

Very selfish and ignorant thing to do. Come here and complain RVers arent breaking the traffic laws by exceeding the speed limit. Bravo.

where is your tourist town? Id like to know so I can avoid possibly driving around such arrogant people.

I've been stuck behind some slow RV's too. And some slow 4 wheelers. And some slow trucks. And some slow bicycler's who rode in the middle of the lane. And some slow buses.

Slow happens. 

Now count your blessings and move along.

fux0r said:
This has gotten so bad it actually made me register to hopefully educate some of you RV owners and hopefully save some lives and some nerves.

Personally, I believe that if you cannot drive your RV at LEAST the speed limit on highways, you shouldn't be allowed to own one because some of you are causing dangerous situations because of your inability to drive the speed limit and to take others into consideration.

I travel a highway to and from work that goes to a tourist destination and 90% of the slow traffic (meaning 10-40 MPH UNDER the speed limit) are caused by RV drivers.

Not a day goes by that I travel the highway and it's not being congested by an RV driver doing 10-40 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit.

They have even put in a pull over lane for those of you slow drivers but many are too oblivious to figure out that the pull out lane is for THEM (you) and take no regard for others. Pretty selfish.

There are some folks who dont mind passing RV's in a safe and lawful way when it's clear to do so. Unfortunately, there are some non-RV drivers who dont realize they are causing another dangerous situation by following RV drivers (by not passing themselves) making it a long line of cars for those of us who want to drive the posted speed limit.

So please, take into consideration that big long line of vehicles behind you as you tinker along in your own little world giving no regard for those of us who can actually drive the speed limit.

I feel so educated now.  And, now that I'm educated, let me mention a few items.  I live in a tourist mecca town as well.  We have an RV too as well as some motorcycles and other vehicles.  It's true, big RVs don't go as fast as cars, pickups and SUVs.  They don't have the acceleration power or the maneuverability especially when they are in a new place.  By the same token, the cars, pickups and SUVs don't have anywhere near the acceleration, power or maneuverability of a motorcycle.  So, when I'm on a motorcycle the cars, pickups, SUVs and RV's are all going slowly and causing traffic jams.  When I'm in a car, pickup or SUV, the motorcycles are passing me and following too closely plus the RVs are going too slowly to satisfy anyone, except the LEO's.  Finally, when I'm in the RV, everyone is anxious to pass or tailgate and will do almost anything to avoid being behind me in the RV.  They usually fail to understand that heavy vehicles like big trucks or RVs cannot stop or accelerate or corner as well or as quickly as smaller vehicles but they have equal rights on the road.  Then this menagerie of vehicles comes upon a bicycle.  Who gets the right-of-way?  Of course, it's the bicycle or, in some cases, the pedestrian. Everyone could cooperate more and we'd all get there sooner and safer.  Usually, somehow, it all works out and almost all of us get where we are trying to go no matter which vehicle you drive/ride, even the bicycles or the pedestrians. 

I'm curious however, if a motorcycle pulls up behind the OP, does he/she use a pullout and let them by? 

Stephen S. said:
I agree with HappyWanderer. It is my responsibility to drive my RV in a legal and safe manner. It is everyone else's responsibility to drive their vehicles in a legal and safe manner. Have a little common sense and understanding, and together we can get through traffic without a wreck.

With a larger and longer vehicle, greater stopping distance, restricted views, and unfamiliar roads, I'm gonna be going a bit under the speed limit. Deal with it!!.

I Agree too.

If the posted speed limit is 55.. seems the 4 wheelers want to go 60+. If the limit is 65 they want to do 70+. Locals know the roads.. we don't. I operate my RV at a speed that it Safe and Prudent for the conditions... trying my level best to do at least.. the posted speed limit... as best I can, based on Safety and Common Sense.

There is no answer, or fix for the OP's distain.

I think Seilerbird did a good job explaining limit.  I suspect our new friend wants to drive faster than that.

People where I live,Maryland/DC area,want to drive at least 10 miles over the limit.  Trust me, they will pass on hills and double yellow lines!  We usually catch up to them at the next stoplight,so I don't know why they risk lives over a few seconds.

OP,learn to leave earlier and just enjoy the scenery or the song on the radio. 

Maybe OP has RV envy.

Well this "friendliest forum on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing" is sure living up to it's name.

:-\

NoOneSpecial said:
Well this "friendliest forum on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing" is sure living up to it's name.
Yes we are friendly towards anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing and we live up to that name. The OP is not someone who is interested in RVing, he is here to lecture us because we don't drive our RVs exactly the way he thinks we should. No we are not going to be friendly towards people like the OP, he doesn't deserve it. And he will not come back here and admit he was wrong or apologize for being so rude.

I am not surprised that the OP's post elicited this kind of reaction on a RV web site. Maybe that was the goal. But I will allow him his point of view, even though it's not mine. I too can get frustrated by a slow moving car that decides to pull out in front of me in the RV causing me to lose speed and momentum that will take me 1/2 a mile to build back up. 

But in those times is when I remind myself to "sit back and enjoy the ride".  I will get there eventually, and as long as it is safe and without damage I am happy. If the OP doesn't come back, that's OK. He probably doesn't own an RV as someone already pointed out.  If he does come back, maybe he will learn something.

This post made me think about how differently people react to life. Before I ever had even a tiny inkling that I would ever want to drive an RV, when I came up behind a slow RV on a hill I would get annoyed but it never occurred to me to be angry at the driver--just annoyed at the circumstances. Venting on a forum like this seems almost like a minor case of "road rage" to me. Perhaps it's better this way!
Bob

I think some of it too, is that because of size, it appears I'm going slower than I am.  Can't count the number of times someone has turned in front of me a little sooner than I'd like to test the brakes.  Or I'm keeping up with traffic and they feel the need to zip around.  Likewise a small car behind my truck.  They can't see the open road and must dearly need to.  :D

Back
Top Bottom