EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: When Driving Your RV On Trips: A note from a tourist town resident  (Read 2222 times)

foxr

This has gotten so bad it actually made me register to hopefully educate some of you RV owners and hopefully save some lives and some nerves.

Personally, I believe that if you cannot drive your RV at LEAST the speed limit on highways, you shouldn't be allowed to own one because some of you are causing dangerous situations because of your inability to drive the speed limit and to take others into consideration.

I travel a highway to and from work that goes to a tourist destination and 90% of the slow traffic (meaning 10-40 MPH UNDER the speed limit) are caused by RV drivers.

Not a day goes by that I travel the highway and it's not being congested by an RV driver doing 10-40 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit.

They have even put in a pull over lane for those of you slow drivers but many are too oblivious to figure out that the pull out lane is for THEM (you) and take no regard for others. Pretty selfish.

There are some folks who dont mind passing RV's in a safe and lawful way when it's clear to do so. Unfortunately, there are some non-RV drivers who dont realize they are causing another dangerous situation by following RV drivers (by not passing themselves) making it a long line of cars for those of us who want to drive the posted speed limit.

So please, take into consideration that big long line of vehicles behind you as you tinker along in your own little world giving no regard for those of us who can actually drive the speed limit.

BruceinFL

• ---
Re: When Driving Your RV On Trips: A note from a tourist town resident
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »
Sounds like US-1 in the FL Keys.  >:( :(
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 07:58:04 PM »
Yeah, sometimes I can pull over. Sometimes I can't. Often times the turnouts provided are not near big enough for a rig of my size (nearly 60' when pulling the Jeep).  Also many times the speed limits set on many of the 2 lane back roads are set way too high for even passenger cars to navigate, let alone an RV.

I can sympathize with you though. I spent 50+ years in a tourist state. Visitors everywhere you go, any time of day or night. It can be a pain sometimes.  But you get over it.  After all, tourist dollars pump a lot of funds into local economies.   
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 07:59:58 PM »
Your comprehension of the English language is lacking. It is a speed LIMIT. A limit is described as follows: "a restriction on the size or amount of something permissible or possible". That means that if the speed limit is 50 mph that means that 50 is the fastest speed you can legally drive. It is not the speed that you are suppose to drive. How fast you actually go depends on a lot of factors such as weather, time of day and the amount of traffic. Here in Florida I have people crawl right up on my tail and tailgate me even when I am doing the posted speed limit in the right hand lane. Why don't these idiots pass me when there is plenty of safe places to do so? It is not the slow drivers that are causing the problems and the wrecks, it is the fast impatient drivers that do. People need to worry about their own driving instead of complaining about other people. It would be much safer.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »
Sorry, I'll drive at a speed and manor which I determine to be safe for my vehicle under specific road conditions. No one in the rear view mirror is going to push me into doing something stupid.
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 08:22:30 PM »
Welcome to The RV Forum! :D

I hope you decide to stick around and learn the many wonderful parts of the RV lifestyle that you currently don't yet appear to understand.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »
I wonder if the OP has ever driven a Motorhome?  Does he know that many motorhomes can't do the speed limit going up hills?

He said a Highway - but all the images were of 2 lane roads NOT highways IMO.
And where I'm from all 2 lane roads without speed limit signs are 55mph roads.  So he see's someone everyday
doing 15mph in a 55 zone?  I doubt that.  45mph I could believe - but I guess he expects someone to drive the speed limit
even when they are unfamiliar with the area or what is around the next bend.  Again it's different in a 40'+ MH then it is in a car.

I agree with SargeW - when I tow my trailer I'm 65' and you can't just pull over anywhere.

So that sign saying if 5 vehicles are behind you - you have to pull over is not doable for everyone out there.
And maybe I missed it but I didn't see any pullouts in any of the images he posted.

I can see why he might get upset.  Maybe he's not the type to leave earlier and doesn't think he should have to but that everyone
on the road should do the speed limit no matter what.  Well that ain't going to happen.
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

Stephen S.

• ---
  • Marshmallows and Irish Cream. Mmmm.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
I agree with HappyWanderer. It is my responsibility to drive my RV in a legal and safe manner. It is everyone else's responsibility to drive their vehicles in a legal and safe manner. Have a little common sense and understanding, and together we can get through traffic without a wreck.

With a larger and longer vehicle, greater stopping distance, restricted views, and unfamiliar roads, I'm gonna be going a bit under the speed limit. Deal with it!!.
Stephen S.
===============
'99 Winnebago Chalet
2002 VW Beetle
2007 Yamaha TW200
Home town: Mableton, GA

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 09:11:14 PM »
I would like to know the speed limit on that 2-lane highway. With essentially no shoulders, I can't believe that it is over 55 mph. Sooo, 40 mph under that is 15 mph; it seems to be pretty ridiculous to state that traffic moves that slow -- unless there is or has been an accident. Every day, no way!

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

OutdoorFT

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 11:23:11 PM »
What Ive gathered from this one post wonder....they are unhappy because the ones with larger vehicles are getting in this persons way. How do tractor trailers tickle your fancy? some know how to get up and go, others take a little bit. You dont see me on thetruckersreport complaining on how their clutch work is slow and needs to get faster.

Very selfish and ignorant thing to do. Come here and complain RVers arent breaking the traffic laws by exceeding the speed limit. Bravo.

where is your tourist town? Id like to know so I can avoid possibly driving around such arrogant people.
Future Fulltimer

2011 F350 Lariat CCLB SRW
No RV yet!!

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 12:40:26 AM »
I've been stuck behind some slow RV's too. And some slow 4 wheelers. And some slow trucks. And some slow bicycler's who rode in the middle of the lane. And some slow buses.

Slow happens. 

Now count your blessings and move along.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »
This has gotten so bad it actually made me register to hopefully educate some of you RV owners and hopefully save some lives and some nerves.

Personally, I believe that if you cannot drive your RV at LEAST the speed limit on highways, you shouldn't be allowed to own one because some of you are causing dangerous situations because of your inability to drive the speed limit and to take others into consideration.

I travel a highway to and from work that goes to a tourist destination and 90% of the slow traffic (meaning 10-40 MPH UNDER the speed limit) are caused by RV drivers.

Not a day goes by that I travel the highway and it's not being congested by an RV driver doing 10-40 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit.

They have even put in a pull over lane for those of you slow drivers but many are too oblivious to figure out that the pull out lane is for THEM (you) and take no regard for others. Pretty selfish.

There are some folks who dont mind passing RV's in a safe and lawful way when it's clear to do so. Unfortunately, there are some non-RV drivers who dont realize they are causing another dangerous situation by following RV drivers (by not passing themselves) making it a long line of cars for those of us who want to drive the posted speed limit.

So please, take into consideration that big long line of vehicles behind you as you tinker along in your own little world giving no regard for those of us who can actually drive the speed limit.

I feel so educated now.  And, now that I'm educated, let me mention a few items.  I live in a tourist mecca town as well.  We have an RV too as well as some motorcycles and other vehicles.  It's true, big RVs don't go as fast as cars, pickups and SUVs.  They don't have the acceleration power or the maneuverability especially when they are in a new place.  By the same token, the cars, pickups and SUVs don't have anywhere near the acceleration, power or maneuverability of a motorcycle.  So, when I'm on a motorcycle the cars, pickups, SUVs and RV's are all going slowly and causing traffic jams.  When I'm in a car, pickup or SUV, the motorcycles are passing me and following too closely plus the RVs are going too slowly to satisfy anyone, except the LEO's.  Finally, when I'm in the RV, everyone is anxious to pass or tailgate and will do almost anything to avoid being behind me in the RV.  They usually fail to understand that heavy vehicles like big trucks or RVs cannot stop or accelerate or corner as well or as quickly as smaller vehicles but they have equal rights on the road.  Then this menagerie of vehicles comes upon a bicycle.  Who gets the right-of-way?   Of course, it's the bicycle or, in some cases, the pedestrian. Everyone could cooperate more and we'd all get there sooner and safer.  Usually, somehow, it all works out and almost all of us get where we are trying to go no matter which vehicle you drive/ride, even the bicycles or the pedestrians. 

I'm curious however, if a motorcycle pulls up behind the OP, does he/she use a pullout and let them by? 
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 01:06:44 AM »
I agree with HappyWanderer. It is my responsibility to drive my RV in a legal and safe manner. It is everyone else's responsibility to drive their vehicles in a legal and safe manner. Have a little common sense and understanding, and together we can get through traffic without a wreck.

With a larger and longer vehicle, greater stopping distance, restricted views, and unfamiliar roads, I'm gonna be going a bit under the speed limit. Deal with it!!.

I Agree too.

If the posted speed limit is 55.. seems the 4 wheelers want to go 60+. If the limit is 65 they want to do 70+. Locals know the roads.. we don't. I operate my RV at a speed that it Safe and Prudent for the conditions... trying my level best to do at least.. the posted speed limit... as best I can, based on Safety and Common Sense.

There is no answer, or fix for the OP's distain.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:08:31 AM by BIG JOE »
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 02:51:01 AM »
I think Seilerbird did a good job explaining limit.  I suspect our new friend wants to drive faster than that.

People where I live,Maryland/DC area,want to drive at least 10 miles over the limit.  Trust me, they will pass on hills and double yellow lines!  We usually catch up to them at the next stoplight,so I don't know why they risk lives over a few seconds.

OP,learn to leave earlier and just enjoy the scenery or the song on the radio. 

Maybe OP has RV envy.

2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

NoOneSpecial

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 02:57:09 AM »
Well this "friendliest forum on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing" is sure living up to it's name.

:-\

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 03:06:02 AM »
Yeah,that OP sure was rude!
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 05:31:48 AM »
Well this "friendliest forum on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing" is sure living up to it's name.
Yes we are friendly towards anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing and we live up to that name. The OP is not someone who is interested in RVing, he is here to lecture us because we don't drive our RVs exactly the way he thinks we should. No we are not going to be friendly towards people like the OP, he doesn't deserve it. And he will not come back here and admit he was wrong or apologize for being so rude.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 08:17:55 AM »
I am not surprised that the OP's post elicited this kind of reaction on a RV web site. Maybe that was the goal. But I will allow him his point of view, even though it's not mine. I too can get frustrated by a slow moving car that decides to pull out in front of me in the RV causing me to lose speed and momentum that will take me 1/2 a mile to build back up. 

But in those times is when I remind myself to "sit back and enjoy the ride".  I will get there eventually, and as long as it is safe and without damage I am happy. If the OP doesn't come back, that's OK. He probably doesn't own an RV as someone already pointed out.  If he does come back, maybe he will learn something.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

prfcdoc

• ---
  • Happy to be alive!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
This post made me think about how differently people react to life. Before I ever had even a tiny inkling that I would ever want to drive an RV, when I came up behind a slow RV on a hill I would get annoyed but it never occurred to me to be angry at the driver--just annoyed at the circumstances. Venting on a forum like this seems almost like a minor case of "road rage" to me. Perhaps it's better this way!
Bob
Bob & Kathy
Saving and researching for our future extended road trip.
2017 F350, Diesel
5th wheel TBD

winona

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
I think some of it too, is that because of size, it appears I'm going slower than I am.  Can't count the number of times someone has turned in front of me a little sooner than I'd like to test the brakes.  Or I'm keeping up with traffic and they feel the need to zip around.  Likewise a small car behind my truck.  They can't see the open road and must dearly need to.   :D
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »
About the only thing I can agree with fux0r on is that those of us driving bigger-but-slower rigs should make a special effort to be courteous to those that can and want to move faster.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
...Personally, I believe that if you cannot drive your RV at LEAST the speed limit on highways, you shouldn't be allowed to own one because some of you are causing dangerous situations because of your inability to drive the speed limit and to take others into consideration.....
We never drive over 65 MPH on major highways due to fuel economy reasons.

Last week we were driving down US 285 from Denver to Buena Vista, 285 is a twisty road with 7% grades up and down. Some of it is two lane, some four lane and some grades have a third lane. Due to the altitude, grade and the need to manage my engine coolant temps,  I'll be running 35-45 MPH which could be 10 or 20 MPH under the speed limit.

When traffic builds behind me, I'll be looking for a turnout to let traffic pass but it could be miles before I find one large enough for our overall length of 65'. That's just the way it is. Our combined weight (coach, trailer, Jeep) is over 40,000 pounds which is a handful to manage on some roads.

I'm going out on a limb and guess you are a younger person and/or an aggressive driver. Patience is a virtue which I encourage you to cultivate.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
We have a total length of 50-55' between our truck and trailer. We can drive speed limit pretty much anywhere because the truck is more than capable of towing our TT. That being said, I pull over any time I can when traffic lines up behind me, even if I am driving the speed limit. I get frustrated myself when I am behind a motorhome or TT going 45 in a 55 zone and passing by signed, marked, hard surfaced, and quite long pull-outs! If we RVers just took opportunities to be kind instead of saying "I have a right ..." I think we would all be better off. I would never ask someone to pull over unsafely, but if traffic is lining up behind you, start looking for a spot to let them go by. It is only polite.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 09:41:11 AM »

Nice troll post
Get over yourself.

SMR

• ---
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
all great points- to the OP- I would rather be behind a slow moving RV than someone taking pictures while driving  :)  or any other distracted driver.
Gonna put the world away for a minute......
Steve
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL
2015 Ford F350
me, DW and our 2 dogs

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
If we RVers just took opportunities to be kind instead of saying "I have a right ..." I think we would all be better off.

This certainly applies to all drivers, however in my experience I have found far more kind RVers than automobile drivers.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »

Nice troll post
Get over yourself.

Yup..
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Currently at work in King Cove, Alaska

Oldgator73

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 09:53:33 AM »
Maybe the OP would like us to operate our RV's in this manner:

https://youtu.be/ohkAxbeMxVo

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 10:08:57 AM »
That.  Was.  Awesome.
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 10:11:58 AM »
One thing that the OP wrote that I totally agree with:  The car that pulls up behind me and 'will not pass' even when there is plenty of straight open road.  That happens a lot.

On the other hand I see to many RV'ers oblivious to the vehicles behind them, or on multi lane highways and interstates impeding traffic by driving in lanes toward the center of the multi lane hwy.  I try to always drive in the 1st or 2nd lane from the right, almost never in the center or farthermost left lane. 

On 2 lane hwys, when I come up to a passing lane, I stay to the right and reduce my speed an additional 10-15 mph.  HOWEVER what aggravates me is the cars behind me have no sense of urgency.  Some of them kind of putt, putt along and pass me at a little under the speed limit.  Some have been hanging back 10 car lengths and don't bother to notice the passing lane coming up so they can prepare to pass me, thereby allowing the vehicles behind them to get around me as well. 

Going up a hill with 3%-10% grade, I generally will not pull over and stop in pullouts.  I really dislike loosing all my momentum and the need to start up from a dead stop again.  As stated earlier in passing lanes I do pull to the right and reduce my speed to allow as many to pass as I can.  I do make exceptions.  If I see a long string of cars, 6-10, I will pull over and stop.   Also I more often pull over and stop in pullouts going downhill. 

When a trucker comes up behind me, I work much harder to allow them to pass.  I will anticipate a save passing zone and pull as far to the right as possible and reduce my speed.  Many times I will turn my right hand blinker on as well.  The vast majority of the time the truckers will pass me and usually blink there running lights to say thank you. 

The OP could protest to his state to build some or more passing lanes on the hwy he drives on. 
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Hosted by Over The Network