When Driving Your RV On Trips: A note from a tourist town resident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I often use pull outs to let traffic get by.  Sometimes, the pullout is hidden by a hill or a curve and I don't get enough warning to slow down to use the pullout because you are so close behind me using a pullout would mean you run into me.

fux0r said:
This has gotten so bad it actually made me register to hopefully educate some of you RV owners and hopefully save some lives and some nerves.

Personally, I believe that if you cannot drive your RV at LEAST the speed limit on highways, you shouldn't be allowed to own one because some of you are causing dangerous situations because of your inability to drive the speed limit and to take others into consideration.

I travel a highway to and from work that goes to a tourist destination and 90% of the slow traffic (meaning 10-40 MPH UNDER the speed limit) are caused by RV drivers.

Not a day goes by that I travel the highway and it's not being congested by an RV driver doing 10-40 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit.

They have even put in a pull over lane for those of you slow drivers but many are too oblivious to figure out that the pull out lane is for THEM (you) and take no regard for others. Pretty selfish.

There are some folks who dont mind passing RV's in a safe and lawful way when it's clear to do so. Unfortunately, there are some non-RV drivers who dont realize they are causing another dangerous situation by following RV drivers (by not passing themselves) making it a long line of cars for those of us who want to drive the posted speed limit.

So please, take into consideration that big long line of vehicles behind you as you tinker along in your own little world giving no regard for those of us who can actually drive the speed limit.

Now that you have gotten that off your chest.

Let me educate YOU and your fellow small automobile travelers.

When you see a large RV coming down the road do NOT turn out right in front of them as they cannot stop in the same fashion and like to have some momentum for grades.  It kills me how many cars will sit and watch a large gap go by only to pull out JUST in front of me where there was a huge gap between me and the car in front of me.

Also, if you feel you have to pass an RV, please keep the speed maintained AFTER you pass the RV.  It is quite frustrating to have you and your fellow puddle jumper autos pull around you just to slow down to the speed limit or below and then I push you along the highway while you flip me off in your rear view mirror.

Also, learn how to freakin' merge.  Don't poke along on the on-ramp and enter the freeway traffic @ 50 MPH and then all of a sudden realize you're in traffic and speed up to 80, move over in front of me and slow back down to 65 MPH. ::)

There, I feel better now so I guess we're even.

Mike

Learn how to merge. If I don't move out of the right lane it's because I have a vehicle next to me and can't. Either speed up and get in front of me or slow down and merge in behind me. It's not up to me to adjust my speed so you can merge onto the highway. I've actually had motorists get really pissed at me because I didn't slow down so they could merge in front of me. Gave me the old IQ score when they passed me.

mn blue skies II said:
and my favorite is cars coming down ramps but not seeing there is 50+ feet of truck and trailer in the spot he wants to be.

Because for some reason most people on ramps don't seem to understand they have the duty to yield.  That would be the big yield sign that is frequently ignored. ::) 
Not to mention the person merging is suppose to move in behind oncoming traffic when they encounter another vehicle in lane they intend to merge.

Oldgator73 said:
Learn how to merge. If I don't move out of the right lane it's because I have a vehicle next to me and can't. Either speed up and get in front of me or slow down and merge in behind me. It's not up to me to adjust my speed so you can merge onto the highway. I've actually had motorists get really pissed at me because I didn't slow down so they could merge in front of me. Gave me the old IQ score when they passed me.
:))
Yep.
I had a road rager try to run me off the road in upstate NY last year because I didn't slow down to let him in.
No one in front,behind, or along side me for a few hundred yards.  The easiest merge anyone could hope for, and it was still my fault because I didn't slow down my rig while going a whopping 60mph on an uphill grade.

People are amazing.

fux0r said:
Personally, I believe that if you cannot drive your RV at LEAST the speed limit on highways, you shouldn't be allowed to own one because some of you are causing dangerous situations because of your inability to drive the speed limit and to take others into consideration.

The "speed limit" to which you refer is the MAXIMUM permissible speed, not the minimum speed.  If you want a minimum speed, contact your elected representatives.

As to those who block traffic (you know, cruise control 1 mph over in the left lane of the interstate), that isn't restricted to RVs.  Of course, the OP can ask everyone to please get off "his" road.  It's a thought.

I'll be really surprised if we ever hear from the OP again, because we are defending our position of safe driving that he doesn't understand.

They have even put in a pull over lane for those of you slow drivers but many are too oblivious to figure out that the pull out lane is for THEM (you) and take no regard for others. Pretty selfish.

A (as in 1) doesn't cut it as many times they are not marked as upcoming and out of town RV'ers have other things to be concerned with
like not hitting any one or thing.  And getting hit from behind because you had to slam on the brakes - would be fun either.

Not a day goes by that I travel the highway and it's not being congested by an RV driver doing 10-40 MPH UNDER the posted speed limit.
Even in the Winter time?  Every single day he travels it's congested?  So is he is being Honest?

I'll be really surprised if we ever hear from the OP again, because we are defending our position of safe driving that he doesn't understand.

Yep, he hasn't returned since his rant.

ArdraF

He wasn't interested in a solution, he just wanted to rant, insult, and vanish into the cybersphere.  Good riddance.

Ya gotta love first world problems!  These rv's which pump money into my towns economy don't drive fast enough when I am sitting in my a/c car. 

At any rate, I will say I always thought of myself as respectful to semi truckers and then when I got an RV and understood better what they are dealing with my level of politeness has increased dramatically.

Maybe she could spend a few miles towing a Jeep behind a 36 foot v10.  Nah she'll just complain.  That always solves the problem!?

What forum do I complain to that I was trying to learn about RVing and she slowed ME down! 
I will keep my guesses of the name of that forum to myself.

utahclaimjumper said:
I have heard it summed up this way  " "a speed limit  is an OPTION,,,not a REQUIREMENT. >>>D

When my wife and I are on the road she will annoyingly inform me on occasion what the speed limit is. I tell her that is only a suggestion.

I think I know who the people are who tailgate even when I'm doing 5 or 10 over.

QZ said:
I think I know who the people are who tailgate even when I'm doing 5 or 10 over.

She also lets me know when I am tailgating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom