W/D in Class A motorhomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SissyBoyFloyd

How much is a washer/dryer appreciated/used in your motorhome?  Do you like having one?  Would you like to have one, if you don't?  Or do you find them to be totally unnecessary and a waste of money and space?

Not having the hassle of laundromats and, especially, not having to wash our clothes in laundromat washing machines is a big plus.

When we were looking at our Ventana on the lot it didn't have a W/D, so when we bought it we specified that they'd have to install a W/D. In other words DW wants a W/D badly enough to eliminate some shelving storage. Not everyone feels that way, but it's sure handy, even on just a two week trip -- beats the dickens out of a laundromat.

I think some of the old Majestic combo units gave W/D a bad rap in MHs as they weren't very efficient, but today I wouldn't look at a MH, or even a 5th wheel for that matter, unless it had stackable or side by side units.

When we got our current motorhome it was Jerry who insisted on having a washer/dryer - not that I objected!  He just hated waiting for me while I was off doing laundry.  I LOVE our Splendide combination.  I wouldn't give up the huge space above it for a stackable unit because I already gave up galley space to have an oven with range, but that's okay because we do just fine with the combination unit.  We can do other things while it's washing and drying, I don't have to clean other people's messes in the laundry room, I don't have re-clean a just-cleaned table because someone put their dog on the table I just got ready to use, I can use the bed for folding which is at a nice height, I don't have to have other people's cigarette smoke smell up my clean clothes (I usually tell them a laundry room is no place to light up), etc. etc. etc.  In other words I'm really glad I don't need to go to Laundromats any longer.  The pros far outweigh the cons in my opinion.

ArdraF

During our last trip we found a needle (still in its plastic case) in our laundry basket which must have come from the washer or dryer in the campground laundry mat.  Will have our own washer and dryer in the next Moho. 

By the way, the needle could have been for a diabetic or pet or a drug user.  Could have been new or old.??

We use ours all the time. Sure does shake the dickens out of the motorhome during the spin cycle, tho. :)

Looks like most of the answers are yea.  I have to say it would depend on what type of traveling you do.  If you are full timer or go away for long periods I would definitely say yea.  But we only make short local campground trips and one week to ten day trips to visit our kids.  In the case of the longer trips we use the w/d at the kids homes and for the local trips we just pile up the dirty clothes in a laundry bag until we return home.  Of course the kicker is does the coach have the room and hookups for w/d combos.  Ours does not so it is a moot question but even if we had the space I doubt I would add them as you are just putting in two more problems waiting to happen - but once again, it depends on the type of traveling you do.

Bill

We would never want to be without our stand alone washer and dryer.

I'm so glad to see this post.  I have always felt that a w/d is a must for us but keep getting told that we'll never use it and a laundromat is so much better.  Just the other day a salesman told us that they are NEVER used and when RV's come in on trade the W/D's are still brand new. 

This confirms my requirement for the W/D in our future unit!  Thanks

Sure does shake the dickens out of the motorhome during the spin cycle, tho.

Drisley, our previous Splendide didn't vibrate at all.  I attended a Splendide seminar where the rep said vibrating means it's out of balance.  Then we needed to replace that one and the new one vibrates.  The space is so tight we weren't able to stop it.  Jerry started thinking about how to solve the problem and came up with a great and inexpensive idea.  We went to Walmart and bought two bicycle tires and a small bicycle air pump.  We tied a string to each one, put some air in them and then worked them along each side of the unit.  When they were pushed in except for the valve we finished filling them with air and pushed them the rest of the way in.  Be sure to keep the string long enough to use for retrieval.  On our last trip it started vibrating again so the other day we got out the air pump and refilled them.  I've washed two loads since without vibration.

ArdraF

We snowbird and are out for three to four months. We have a combo with vent less dryer and use it only occasionally (use a laundromat). Our unit is a 2004; my question is are the newer units faster and have more capacity?

When we were shopping, I thought a W/D a "must have".  (We were shopping for our full time living space.) DW considered it as optional.  Laundry is her domain, so I didn't insist.  Turned out, the coach we selected has a vented combo Splendid.
First couple of months in, the Splendide was never used and DW frequently commented about how much storage we could gain by removing it.  I would say things like, "you know, if you just did a load a day, maybe every other day, you wouldn't have to deal with going to a laundromat. (She IS picky about those and will often choose one in town over the one onsite.). She : "Go ahead.". Me: "silence".
One day she tried the Splendide.  Today, almost all our laundry is done 'in house'... (though she still opts for a laundromat that is near enough and meets her standards.)
Bottom line: If we ever shop for another coach, W/D will be considerdx a 'must have' by both of us.

We have a combo with vent less dryer and use it only occasionally (use a laundromat). Our unit is a 2004; my question is are the newer units faster and have more capacity?

Most of us prefer a vented dryer which may be a little faster and dry better.  I don't know that newer units would be either faster or have more capacity.  Faster because even our newer appliances in the stick and brick house take longer than the old ones they replaced.  For example, the new dishwasher takes almost an hour longer and doesn't clean as well or dry as well as the previous model and it was highly rated.  I doubt capacity would change much simply because they need to be kept small to fit into smaller spaces.  Doing a small load every day or two works surprisingly well because you aren't stuck in a Laundromat; you're out and about having fun while it's back there washing and drying!

ArdraF

Wife would not be without it.  When we upgraded, a standalone was at the top of the list to cut down on time.  Put in a load and then go do something.we were told that combo units work better if you do all of the washing then switch to dry cycle.  Tech said it does not have to keep drying itself out each time.

Back
Top Bottom