RV brand choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaRV

I'm buying a fifth wheel or TT to park and full time in. It needs to be inexpensive, but good quality. Extra insulation and such is a plus for cool (not brutal) winters. I am looking at Alpenlite 5th wheels, holiday rambler TTs, maybe a Hitchhiker, other ideas? These would be in the late 90s. Any thoughts on one versus another, or another choice? Thanks.

Also, how much lower from listed price should I offer for a used rig? Do they jack the asking price way up like they do for new ones?

At that age,how the unit has or has not been maintained is probably more important than brand name.  A floor plan you like living in is more important.

You can look up blue book values for RVs,just like for cars. 

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Just so you know Winter and Full-timing don't go together unless you are in a warm climate.
That's why so many snowbirds head South during the winter.

If you are in a cool climate it may be doable - but be prepared to use a lot of energy.
Even expensive RV's don't have much insulation.  Something older, like in the 90's will likely have even less of.

Without any heat on, I don't think many RV's will be more than a few degrees above the outside temp in the Wintertime.
So if your "cool" Winter is even 50? in the daytime you will need heat on and of course at nighttime too. 

It's just the nature of the beast as RV walls are not very thick so insulation isn't very much.  Most people like glass to look out of
and it brightens up the inside so lights are not needed as much, however glass doesn't insulate much at all.

Just didn't want you to think you will be warm in the Winter UNLESS you are prepared for HIGH energy use of some kind.
Most furnaces run on propane and that can get very expensive.

One more thing - inexpensive and good quality are a rare thing and hard to find.

My 2? on a 5er or a TT.

You didn't say where your going to park it - at a campground or on private property etc.
What kind of hookup will you have?  50amp power or only 30amp power. 
IF I had my choice I would go for a unit with 50amp power as they may likely have 2 AC units and some are also heat pumps.
However if inexpensive is on the menu than you may not be able to find a 50amp unit which will be available on a 5er but not on a TT
of that vintage most likely.
More than likely a TT will be less expensive But they will also be smaller and have less features in most cases.  So trade offs for sure.

The main question is what kind of timeline are you looking at? The longer your timeline the better position you are in. Spend as much time as you can looking at floor plans and checking what features you want. I bought a 19 year old HitchHiker a couple months ago for 40% of blue book. I spent 18 mo. researching and checking out units. I wasn't really planning on getting anything for another 12-18 mo. but this one came up and looked good and I made an offer. I wasn't desperate to get one, so I rejected the first counter and gave my counter. They accepted. If you buy anything over 3-5 years old expect to spend at least another $1000-$2000 on repairs and upgrades. If you are planning on extensive traveling, a FW will be easier to tow and park than a TT.

SeaRV said:
I'm buying a fifth wheel or TT to park and full time in. It needs to be inexpensive, but good quality. Extra insulation and such is a plus for cool (not brutal) winters. I am looking at Alpenlite 5th wheels, holiday rambler TTs, maybe a Hitchhiker, other ideas? These would be in the late 90s. Any thoughts on one versus another, or another choice? Thanks.

Now, that there folks, is what you call an oxymoron, inexpensive and good quality just don't go together in RV land. You want inexpensive, it won't be good quality. You want good quality, it won't be inexpensive.

sadixon49 said:
Now, that there folks, is what you call an oxymoron, inexpensive and good quality just don't go together in RV land. You want inexpensive, it won't be good quality. You want good quality, it won't be inexpensive.
Inexpensive and good quality don't go together anywhere except in some people's minds.

Arctic Fox or Grand design, I have neither but my research has narrowed it down to those 2.

SeilerBird said:
Inexpensive and good quality don't go together anywhere except in some people's minds.

The same goes for expensive and good quality sometimes. ::)

My mechanic has a sign:

Do you want it fast?
Do you want it cheap?
Do you want it done well?

Pick any two!

Of the models you mention, all are likely above average quality.  However, as stated, priority #1 is FLOOR PLAN.  You most love the floor plan or you will never really like the RV.  Priority #2 is CONDITION.  You would be wise to have a thorough, professional inspection so you will know what needs fixed.  Go into this eyes wide open.

One can argue that better quality is [almost] always cheaper in the long run, but a low upfront price is rarely indicative of top quality in either materials or construction.

The brands you are looking at are among the better ones, at least a mid-grade in quality. Buying an upper tier brand but old enough to keep the price reasonable is a wise choice, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom