Problem with Torflex axle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Telemark46

After finding that my weight distributing hitch carried more weight on the left side, I finally noticed that the left side of the trailer (2007 Jay Feather Sport 186) is sitting 1-1.5"higher.  This trailer has always ridden low, and is hard to dump sometimes; I assume that the right side has dropped rather than the left side rising, so it should ride higher once I fix this problem.

I haven't had a chance to examine it carefully, but the parts person at an RV repair shop said it sounded like a problem with the axle.  It was suggested it could be bushings, or worse problems with the axle.  The rough estimate was $1000 for axle replacement, $300-400 for bushings (mostly labor).  The axle is rated at 3500#, so not one of the biggies.

Have any of you experienced failure of the bushings or axle?  If so, do these prices seem in line?  Any other ideas on what might cause one side to drop (or the other side to rise)?

The axles are about $381 each plus shipping.  Very easy to install, so there should be a low labor charge.  Personally I would do it myself, a few bolts, connect some wires and transfer the hubs from the old axles.  I have no idea what they intend to do with the bushing quote.

Go to Etrailer.com and order a new axle and a wet bolt kit with bushings. The factory bushings are plastic and wear out quickly. The replacement bushings with a wet bolt kit are bronze and will last many thousands of miles. Simple to install and the Etrailer site has videos showing how to replace the bushings and axle. Pretty easy backyard project with few tools needed. Youtube also has plenty of vids showing the same.

If you do it yourself you can do both jobs in an afternoon for about $500.

keymastr said:
Go to Etrailer.com and order a new axle and a wet bolt kit with bushings. The factory bushings are plastic and wear out quickly. The replacement bushings with a wet bolt kit are bronze and will last many thousands of miles. Simple to install and the Etrailer site has videos showing how to replace the bushings and axle. Pretty easy backyard project with few tools needed. Youtube also has plenty of vids showing the same.

If you do it yourself you can do both jobs in an afternoon for about $500.

In his title he says TorFlex axle, they are a whole different ball game.  When he mentioned bushings, there must be more to the story.  Till we know exactly what he has, we can't help.  A photo is all we need.

I haven't been able to jack it up to get a good look under it yet, and it's stored 40 miles from my home.  "Bushings" were mentioned by the parts person, but perhaps they don't really apply to the Torflex axle.  I'm not sure what "wet bolt kit" refers to.  Etrailer doesn't show a Torflex axle, but I can call them tomorrow to see if they can get it.  They do have lift kits for Torflex, but the smallest lift is ca 2 1/2"; I would like about 1" of lift.

Based on my back problems and lack of a good place to work on it, I figure I will have it done professionally.  In my younger days..........  RV repair places are scheduling 4-6 weeks out, but I found a tire and suspension shop that can get me in in a week.  On the other hand, they say it usually takes about 6 weeks to get the axle made and delivered!!!  Eastern Marine (thanks for that link) says they can ship them in 2 weeks, but they are not a wholesaler.  When I take the trailer in, I hope to find a way the shop can match EM's shipping time. 

I'm hoping I can have them order an axle with a different angle on it to give me about an inch of lift.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom