EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Soft, spongy floor  (Read 243 times)

clockdrfla

• ---
Soft, spongy floor
« on: August 06, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »
Couple of areas in my 5th wheel floor are getting soft and spongy.  Areas have never had water damage.  What causes this?

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Soft, spongy floor
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
Couple of areas in my 5th wheel floor are getting soft and spongy.  Areas have never had water damage.  What causes this?

If it's getting worst, odds are you have water damage and will continue until you find the source and fix it.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »
Please post make, model, and year of your fiver. If it is a "lite" model, there's a good chance that the floor is only 1/4" luan type wood. The last trailer we had was built like that. It had an island kitchen, and a heat vent cut in the floor between the island and the corner of the bathroom. It was right in the main traffic area. There was little support in that area, so the floor was spongy.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
It's probably 1/4" luan (closer to 3/16) sandwiched between a piece of foam board with some glue.  Doesn't take much to develop soft spots from poor construction/support or a little water.

If water doesn't get you the shoddy workmanship will.  Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast.

clockdrfla

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
If it's getting worst, odds are you have water damage and will continue until you find the source and fix it.
One area is between foot of bed and bedroom dresser.  Don't know how that area could have gotten wet.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:32:26 AM »
Water is the most likely reason, but shoddy construction is a possibility as well. Usually shows up fairly quickly, though, whereas moisture is slow but insidious. Since water runs downhill, even a slight dip can cause damage to appear far from the source of the leak.

In any case, you probably need to open up the floor to discover the why of it.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network