Been on the road 3 weeks and fridge won't stay cold.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mshell.Ca

Completely lost with how to make our fridge get & stay cold. It's only 6 months old in a 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite. This is our first RV and we are learning on the go.
We've had some cold days, but mostly our fridge it room temp. The freezer is fine. There isn't a lot of frost that would prevent the fridge getting cold. Everything is level. There isn't a lot of food, to restrict air flow, but there are a few things that were cold to start.
We've tried being on LP for 3 days then switching to shore power. Neither is getting food cold. We've lost so much food and milk. We've been at our current site for 6 days and it's been hooked up that entire time, but the food still spoils. Last week we had some cold days, and other days the food would
We have the little temp probe all the way up on the last fin. The CHECK light isn't on, and when it's on LP we can see and hear the flame going. I've read all the other post and have checked the seal, given it plenty of time to cool, made sure there aren't any spider webs/leaves/nests by the vents, the GFI/outlets and fuses are all good. We have 2 more weeks on the road with 3 small children, so I'm hoping not to spend a
I'm at a loss and any help is appreciated!
Thank you!

Contact the manufacturer and get approval to take it to the closest authorized dealer. The dealer may put RV's aside to help you out.

just thinking out loud....but have a look at the chimney for obstructions.

Something could have fallen and blocked air flow through there..... When I opened up mine recently installing my second ARP controller (pulled the cover off at the roof to look down)
I discovered that a long strip of foil tape the factory had used in "sealing" off the panels/structure, had fallen off and was laying on top of the coils, partially blocking air flow.  In my case it wasn't enough to hurt the cooling.
but i can imagine a large panel, piece of insulation, or similar might block enough airflow to affect cooling.
Maybe you can see enough by looking up through the opened service hatch.

simple thing to try:

Find the thermistor clipped to one of the fins inside the refer.  (Since you don't specify the make/model of your refer This is a complete stab in the dark)

Move it UP about an inch.  (Counter intuitive but that's how most of them work)

Usually when the freezer stays cold and the refer box doesn't it's caused by one of more of these things:

Failed fan (if yours has them)
Failed thermostatic fan switch
Air flow problem cause by installation errors or blockages (in a new RV I'd suspect installation errors first)

A temporary fix might be to place a small fan in the lower access vent to force air up through the heat exchanger. 
Leaking door seals

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom