Inverter noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WA2YLY

Hi all
The past few days at my house ive had a very high noise level on hf.This area has always been very low noise level.After giving this some thought I disconnected AC extension cord to RV.Noise is gone and im assuming that inverter unit is generating noise.On our maiden voyage I had high noise level.I will try connecting icom radio directly to 12 volt and eliminate. power supply.I will have to look into some ac line filters.For now I will leave AC disconnected from house.Anyone else have this problem?Also unit is under warranty and I will contact mfg.
Bob

Noise level on "hf"? Can you elaborate a bit? Also, what year/make/model of RV?

The inverter (converter?) is a possibility, since it is electronic. Actually it would probably be the converter/charger function, but if you have a built-in inverter its probably all one unit.

Bob, I think that HF RFI from converters is a pretty common complaint. Fortunately, I don't have that issue with my motorhome.

I stopped bringing my power supply along. All of my equipment has Anderson power poles, so I made up a 10 gauge cord with power poles on one end and alligator clips on the other. I run the cord through the bottom seal of the slide directly to the battery, and plug the power poles into my Kenwood or Yaesu.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Noise level on "hf"? Can you elaborate a bit? Also, what year/make/model of RV?
Gary HF = High Frequency  This post is in the Ham Radio section (On the airwaves)

To elaborate on Bill's post for non-hams, HF is radio below about 30 MHz (near 10 meters wavelength and longer), usually single sideband or AM these days, but may be other modes (especially CW, or morse code), and tends to be more subject to electrical interference than the much higher freqs and other modulation modes such as FM. And when a ham is listening to HF, many signals are extremely weak, such that it doesn't take a lot of electrical "noise" to hide the desired signals.

Many electrical devices generate electrical noise of one kind or another, especially in these digital, computerized days -- for example I have a food saver (vacuum packing appliance) that generates quite a bit of that "noise" when plugged in, whether actually turned on or not, so I must leave it unplugged when not in use.

WA2YLY said:
Hi all
The past few days at my house ive had a very high noise level on hf.This area has always been very low noise level.After giving this some thought I disconnected AC extension cord to RV.Noise is gone and im assuming that inverter unit is generating noise.On our maiden voyage I had high noise level.I will try connecting icom radio directly to 12 volt and eliminate. power supply.I will have to look into some ac line filters.For now I will leave AC disconnected from house.Anyone else have this problem?Also unit is under warranty and I will contact mfg.
Bob
Need more info. to understand your setup.

The AC extension cord goes from where to where and from what to what?  Where is the inverter location? Does it have something to do with that AC cord? Could this AC cord be acting like an antenna and radiating the inverter noise? Or does this AC cord feed your CONverter?  Did you mean converter noise, or like you said, inverter noise?

73, -Don-  AA6GA, Auburn, CA

I have the same issue when plugged into shore at the house, pull-up next to the ‘95 Bounder if the radio is on in our 4 wheeler we get a humming sound on am, or fm . Pull away 20 ft or so and radio clears.

I have the same issue when plugged into shore at the house, pull-up next to the ‘95 Bounder if the radio is on in our 4 wheeler we get a humming sound on am, or fm . Pull away 20 ft or so and radio clears.
I don't really know what is taking place as it relates to an inverter. But when using LED lights in most units and they are on, this can give you feedback of noise in a radio that"s on.

I haven't seen it in that scenario, but I discovered a couple of years back that the unusually high noise level on 40M was coming from my Food Saver (vacuum bagger), even when it was off. I had to unplug it to stop the noise (at least 2 S-units).

CB used to be a ham band (11 meters) and many CBers operate "out of band" in the ham bands.
Many CB radios can be modified for 10 meter AM or Single Sideband I have one I'm thinking of modifying but I also have a license to do it legally.

Many have complained about the Progressive Dynamics line of converters and Noise on ham bands. I never expierened that. Neither did either of my Xantrex Inverters bother the Radio (Mostly 80 and 40 meter ham bands 3.935 MHz (What it is on now) or 7.272 (A net I check into on 40) but other bands as well.. I've talked, or rather typed, all over the world with about 30 watts and a 100'wire... Talked to about half the US with 100 watts and the same wire. (Typing is digital radio usually PSK-31)

There are many things that can bother my Radio..> now in the apartment there is something on 5.035MHz (WTWW-US transmitter 2) so I can not hear it.

One of the Florescent Lights in made major hash
A "Fancy" Halloween 120 volt light I had. Same even worse
Solar charge controllers
Refrigerators (RV type one make)
IN houses washing machines

And one of my favorite stories is from my First Ham Radio Contact. John Quincy Adams SR. (NO I'm not that old) The woman next door complained he was interfering with HER TV. Only hers. never her husbands which is why she knew it was Qunicy's fault... (All men watch the same shows you see. or so she thought) Well Quincy had her sit down and watch TV and with him standing there. Sure enough there was interference... When she sat in the TV chair she turned on a heat pad to help with her sore back.. it had a bad element and was either shorting or otherwise arching. New heat pad cleared it right up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom