Generator "Ghost" Repair Shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliver quibble

I have a central FL specific question. I live in Inverness, FL. I own a gas 2006 MH.

My Onan 4000kw needs service.

It has the "ghost" starting problem. I don't have a problem with it running and I start it regularly under load to keep it in good working order. I had a routine service on the generator while in CT this July, mentioned the "ghost" problem of starting on its own and they hadn't heard of it.

It will start and stop on its own; spooky. I have researched and believe it to be the starter.

On the return trip back to FL last week, the generator wouldn't start from the dash, but I could start it by going outside to the unit.

So, I am looking for recommendations locally to work on the generator. I prefer not going to Camping World or the Alliance  dealership near the Villages.

Have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Oliver

Here's a little something you can try on your own. Some place on the generator is a 4 wire plug to the remote start/stop switch. Find it and unplug it. See if he problem goes away. If it does you are a little closer to finding the problem. It's all about the process of elimination.

Are you sure it isn't firing up to charge the batteries?  I thought I read where some will fire up if the batts get too low.  Seems like a liability since the Moho doesn't know if it in a well ventilated safe area or not.

Two ...or 3... Possible issues

As someone said if you have AGS (Automatic Generator Start) THen it reads battery voltage and when teh voltage indicates the State of Charge is going down too far the generator starts to Recharge and when the batteries are full up or nearly so it shuts down.

Options 2 and 3 are supported by the "WHen I tried to start it from the dash" statement. and will be combined.

Loose (2) Or rodent chewed (3) Wires dash to Generator link.

Mine has been started by a cat.

Yeah, I didn't believe it either until I saw the paw print.  I should have taken a picture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom