Transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarrco

Blew my transmission in my Winnebago Adventurer 2004. Can anyone tell me the cost to install a rebuilt?4

Seen several on forums where cost for transmission and R&R was $3,000 to $4,000. I would guess labor to be $600 to $1,200

here is a used one here for $2000

http://rvchassisparts.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/md/M120302/s1.pl?

That would be an Allison 1000 MH tranny.  Allison has a factory-rebuilt programs, and a couple major distributors do it as well. I've not seen any prices, though. Used Allison 1000's for pick-up trucks (slightly different than the MH model) run around $1500 or so on ebay

Check Colaw in Mo. for a used trans. I've seen them advertised for $1000 for a low mileage trans. I would think even Allison remans would be cheaper than that for the 1000 series. $8100.00 for a rebuilt trans seems unreasonable to me. R&R shouldn't be more than 8 hours, I wouldn't think.

tarrco said:
Blew my transmission in my Winnebago Adventurer 2004. Can anyone tell me the cost to install a rebuilt?4

I blew my Allison on my 2002 Adventurer in Sept 2015.  A remanufactured Allison installed cost me $3500 with a two year unlimited mileage warranty.  Problem started with torque converter seal leaking that resulted in a major leak in less than 200 miles. Do you have the Workhorse W-22 chassis with the 8.1 Chevy and Allison 1000 tranny?  I see that you do.  Be sure you have an Allison dealer do the repair and I opted for the reman vs rebuild on site which was a bit cheaper but only had a one year warranty.  No problems at all with the reman one I bought.

Thank you Bill and Joan and all. It's helpful to get hard numbers when I have no idea of what the cost. Your cost at $3500 American is about $4500 Canadian and even with shipping $8100 seems high for sure.

tarrco said:
Thank you Bill and Joan and all. It's helpful to get hard numbers when I have no idea of what the cost. Your cost at $3500 American is about $4500 Canadian and even with shipping $8100 seems high for sure.

Do you have an Allison dealer nearby?  I got the impression from other tranny shops that if you have an Allison, then their repair shops are the best place to go because of the connections with the parent company.  In any case, $8100 is extremely far out of line unless the are including the engine too........lol

How did it blow?  Anything that we can learn to prevent such an occurrence?  How many miles were on her?

KandT said:
How did it blow?  Anything that we can learn to prevent such an occurrence?  How many miles were on her?

The 2004 came with Dexron III that had to be changed every two years or 24,000 miles. I did all the fluid changes myself along with the spin-on filter that was supposed to be changed at 5,000 miles.  Two years ago I switched to Transynd so I could extend my change intervals.

Tarrco...where are you located?  I know of an excellent Allison dealer in Fresno, CA.

KandT said:
Mine started with a few small drops noted during a rest stop.  I thought it was a loose filter but we were also having dog problems (seizure) at the time so I was trying to make it home and to our vet - over 200 miles away.  Made it 150 miles and added 4 quarts of tranny fluid in that time but it finally just ran down to nothing right at an exit ramp and I limped it into a truck stop there.  Towed the last 50 to the Allison dealer and they said that it was toast but that if I had stopped earlier and had it checked the repair would have been a lot cheaper (torque converter seal leak).  So I opted for a remanufactured model and now know that the bullet proof Allison is not so bulletproof afterall.  It now has Transynd in the new tranny.  Great dealer in Springfield, Missouri also.  45,000 miles

Lots of fluid even after it blew. Was just off a ferry and driving uphill but lost power all the way and suddenly the engine over revved at near the top of the hill. When I pulled into a parking lot it would no longer go into forward gear only reverse. I towed it to Wajax Power Systems an Allison dealer and got the $8100 price from them. I'm in Nova Scotia Canada so few options re dealers! I think they know that.

Having some health issues and don't need the stress so when it's fixed I will put it for sale. Less than 30000 miles.

tarrco said:
Having some health issues and don't need the stress so when it's fixed I will put it for sale. Less than 30000 miles.

Have to smile at that post Cyril.  I bet I have said 50 times "I will put it up for sale" but keep pouring cash into the money pit for some of it's good points. We don't do a lot of scenic traveling - mainly just to visit our kids who live great distances and to take short vacations at local campgrounds in Branson, Mo.  We bought it with a small inheritance but have tried to keep it going so we could at least enjoy it when we wanted but monthly storage and maintenance costs are starting to become ridiculous and, like you, I have several medical problems.  The wife co-drives on long trips but mostly she serves as the animal warden.  Just put a new set of tires on it and now need to replace the TV to a digital model.  I have the TV but the job looks to be pretty big for me with a bad back.  But, as usual, we will make it and I am sorry to see that you are stuck with an Allison dealer who is really doing a scalping job on the estimate.  You might check on the next closest Allison dealer or just any transmission dealer to try for a cheaper estimate.  If the distance is reasonable, it may be cheaper to have it towed to another dealer.  Good luck and keep us informed.

Bill

Animal warden! That's a new one on me Bill. Lol. I actually had to fly home from the province where we were traveling so I have to fly back to get the rig when it's done. Maybe I will buy lotto tickets! (-:

Back
Top Bottom