2006 KZ Sportsmen slide motor problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97roadrider

Hi - I'm looking for some help repairing the slide on our trailer.

We have an 2006 KZ Sportsmen Sportster 33P with one main floor slide. We have extended the slide and now are unable to retract it.

It appears that a motor bracket bolt is broken and lets the motor twist and the gears do not engage when trying to bring the slide in.

The slide was manufactured by RBW Industries now part of AL-KO.

Any tips to get the motor and gears out would be appreciated.

Thanks for any assistance or references to other posts or sites that might prove helpful.

Wayne

Sorry, Can't help with motor, but are you able to manualy retract it. Interesting problem please try and send a pic. It may help a few people out in trying to get a temp fix also do you have access to the under side of the slides

Re read your post. Is the bracket broken right at the bolt. Can you use it enough to keep the motor aligned and place a strap over the motor you would have to use something heavy like some banding strap.  Can you get enough access to drill screw holes on one side place over the top and screw Dow the other side tight something like this may get it in and you home

Thanks for your comments. I am fortunate that the trailer is in my yard at home so it is not an emergency.  There is a manual handle that allows me to crank the slide in but the gear from the motor jams the manual retraction gear and I don't want to force it in case I do more damage.

The motor is between the trailer frame rails & I had to cut an access hole in the belly to see the motor. 
The bolt is sheared off between a bracket that encloses gears on the slide rail and the end of the motor. A strap will not stop the twisting motion and it is also too tight to put a strap inside the area or to drill any holes.

What I'm hoping to find is someone who has some experience with my slide and can give me some tips to remove the motor and gears. I did find some drawings of the unit on the net, but it is difficult to see how to take the unit apart. The document is called a service manual but it is far from it.

http://www.rbwstore.com/assets/images/pdf_files/SPORTSMEN%20SERVICE%20MANUAL.pdf

I'll check into how to add pictures. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 003 (2)-001.JPG
    003 (2)-001.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 48
My KZ Sportsmen did the same thing except on the kitchen slide.

The cover where the bolt is sheared is easily removed and slid back. Your problem likely lies with the bolts holding the motor to the main bracket. Once you get the cover removed, you'll have to contort yourself to get to the bolts holding the motor in.

Mine has provisions for three bolts but two of the three were not aligned correctly from the factory and they felt no reason to correct it and only installed one bolt. Like you, I didn't notice the problem until the bolt backed off enough for the motor to move and not make contact with the gears any longer.  You can see the posts on the motor, those are for the bolts. I drilled out the bracket and was able to install the rest of the bolts. Mine has been trouble free since.

Hi lone_star_dsl - thanks for your response. I really appreciate it. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Were you able to do your repairs without taking the motor out of the trailer? My problem is that the sheared part of the bolt is still in the motor & I will have to get the motor out to drill the bolt & then use an extractor to get the bolt out. 

Were you able to drill out the bracket while it was still in the trailer?

I have attached a drawing, was yours similar to this?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

Attachments

• s_mot_dwg.jpg
    s_mot_dwg.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 60
97roadrider said:
Hi lone_star_dsl - thanks for your response. I really appreciate it. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Were you able to do your repairs without taking the motor out of the trailer? My problem is that the sheared part of the bolt is still in the motor & I will have to get the motor out to drill the bolt & then use an extractor to get the bolt out. 

Once you get the bolts out that are holding the motor in place, you should be able to swing it out while still leaving the electrical connections hooked up.  As far as the bracket goes, I was able to drill it out correctly while it was still attached to the trailer.

I have a 2004 kz sportsmen sportster toy hauler fifthwheel and my main dining room slide out gearbox is jumping /slipping has anyone replaced the gears or retrofit a newer motor with gearbox

I have a 2004 kz sportsmen sportster toy hauler fifthwheel and my main dining room slide out gearbox is jumping /slipping has anyone replaced the gears or retrofit a newer motor with gearbox
Joe, were you able to fix this? I have a similar issue, the big gear on the shaft spins freely, must be a spline gear and is stripped out

Joe, were you able to fix this? I have a similar issue, the big gear on the shaft spins freely, must be a spline gear and is stripped out
I've had no luck everyone I've called seems to have never seen this type of slide out as if its an experimental model very frustrating I've called kz and haven't got anywhere I would like to retrofit a newer slide out motor and gear box but having no luck with anyone in pointing in the right direction if you have any ideas please let me know

I’m having the same problem. Does anyone know where to buy the part in the attachment? GR-1006T
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom