2 30 amp to 50 amp conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmf

I've searched for an answer to without success so maybe someone here can help. We made reservations at a state park that only has 30 amp. The Ranger said to buy an adapter for dual 30 amp to 50 amp. I know they sell them but are they safe to use. Thanks for all the wonderful advice I get here. -Pat

They can be safe. You have to make sure that the two hot lines are not on the same leg. In your house and your coach with 50A service you have two hot legs that are 180 deg. out of phase, a neutral and a ground.  If the loads are balanced on the two hot legs the neutral carries very little current.  30A service only has one hot, a neutral and a ground.  If you have two 30A plugs that have the hot legs 180 deg. out of phase the converter will work.  If they are on the same phase then they will not work.
I hope I haven't just confused you more.

Since you're apparently plugging a 50A coach into a 30A pedestal, you need a 30A male to 50A female adapter. There are two versions of this adapter, one which adapts the way Boatbuilder described, and the other adapts a 30A pedestal to two parallel (in phase) 30A/120V legs in your RV - see here.

Assuming that your RV does not have any 240 volt appliances, you need the second version of the adapter. That will feed both of the 50A legs in your RV, but you won't  be able to turn everything on at the same time; You'll need to manage the loads/appliances to limit the current to 30A total. Failure to do so will trip the breaker on the campsite pedestal.

Boatbuilder,

If they are on the same phase and you use the dual adapter does it hurt anything or just won't work. I already have a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter.

Thanks,

Are they safe to use: YES'
Do they work.. Occasionally. but not often (IF the ranger said to buy it they will likely work there)

WHY

Well at all parks the CODE (US or Local Electrical code) Requires GFCI on 20 amp or smaller outlets. NOW SOME parks have 'em on 30's as well.  THe only exception is parks where the box is older than the code.

IF you use one with a GFCI outlet it will trip the GFCI.. I've had folks say "No it did not" but if it does not then the GFCI is defective.. IT should trip 100% of the time .

What are the odds that a site will have two 30 amp receptacles, especially in a state park? I can only recall seeing this where multiple sites were served by a common pedestal.

If they are on the same phase then they will not work.

I have to disagree. They will still work, but the total available power is less (60A total instead of 100A total). The only way it "doesn't work" is if one of the outlets is a GFCI - a ground fault is guaranteed.  Also, if the coach has a powerline monitor, it will almost surely treat it as a 30A connection and limit power draw to 30A max.

I've used the dual 30A-->50A hook-up on many occasions.

The Ranger said to buy an adapter for dual 30 amp to 50 amp.

While they exist, few sites actually have two 30A outlets. Some parks call them "buddy sites", sites designed to hold two Rvs so they have two 30A outlets.  If the one you get has only a single 30A outlet, this discussion is academic. You just need the usual 50/30 single adapter.

I've read that all the state parks in Georgia have 2 30 amp if it isn't 50 amp any the manager of the Park is the one that told me about it. So I'm going forward with it. Should we use a surge protector or no?

Thanks again,
Pat

pmf said:
Should we use a surge protector or no?

Thanks again,
Pat

I don't plug into any pedestals unless I have a surge protector. I would highly recommend one of the one's from Progressive Industries. Hard wired or portable. They are warrantied for life it they should burn up due to a lightning strike or power surge. I had one last year which was acting funny. I ended up going to the factory on the way to FL and they gave me a brand new one, no questions asked. 

Should you use a "Surge Protector" Like the Progressive Industries PT/HW-50-C... YES always

WIll it work if both 30 amp outlets are the same side of the split phase (Same phase is what most call it)  YES.  It does not care.. Likewise a hughes Autoformer does not care.

ONly the neutral wire cares. and with two same phase 30 amp outlets in THEORY it can hit 60 amps.. This is, again in theory, too much,  In practice it won't get there (It may hit 60 but 60 more than that will be for less than 1/2 second) and it is rated 50 in conduit or wall and in open air can handle much more so you wont' have a problem.

Problem. If any.. Monitor voltage inside the RV.

ENergy Managers (Load shed type) Like the INtelletec EMS will show 30 amps and limit your power consumption less you override.

I've read that all the state parks in Georgia have 2 30 amp if it isn't 50 amp

I can testify from personal experience that is not true of every 30A site in every GA state park. However, most of them have at least a few sites with dual 30's. I've stayed in at least 3 GA state parks that had them, and used the 50A-Dual 30A adapter in all of those.

Perhaps the park you are going to has them at every site, or perhaps you will have to hunt for the ones that do.

Gary, what do you normally see in FL? I'm from Tampa but lived in Ocala for awhile and most of my wife's family still lives there. My sister in law lives right on the edge of the National Forest.

Thanks,
Pat

Occasionally I have been places that the "cheater" will work.  I have it to use in fairgrounds and some older state parks.  Usually in sites provided for volunteers.  I have used it on a 30 amp and 20 amp combination as well as 2-30 amp.  If you see a GFI outlet do not bother trying, it will not work.

AND YES ALWAYS USE A CIRCUIT PROTECTOR.

Gary, what do you normally see in FL? I'm from Tampa but lived in Ocala for awhile and most of my wife's family still lives there. My sister in law lives right on the edge of the National Forest.

Do you mean in FL state parks?  The only one I ever stayed in had a single 30A outlet on the site.

Our place is on private land but surrounded by the ONF. It's near Forest Corners, 14 miles east of the city of Ocala & Silver Springs, just of SR 40.

Thanks again for all of the replies. I have a much berry idea of how it all works now.

We've stayed at quite a few FL state parks, and I don't recall ever seeing one with dual 30 amp outlets. Even the "buddy" sites usually had independent power stanchions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom