Weight Police!! Help me understand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
longhaul said:
One of my trucks is a '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins 3.73 NV5600 quad cab with a 13350 lb tow rating.
This truck was made before the useless yellow tire placard payload sticker became mandatory industry wide in '06 era.
It has a 6000 lb RAWR with a 2840 lb unladin rear axle weight....leaves the truck with around 3160 lb payload in the bed. I keep a scaled front and rear axle load ticket in all of my trucks. That way I know how much payload is available.

With my 11200 lb 5th wheel trailer and 2200-2280 lb pin weight leaves the trucks rear axle in 5100-5200 lb range. The front axle stays w/i 30 lbs or so with the trailer or empty.
Of course the Cummins has no problems easily pulling its max tow rating.

For some reason only known to Dodge , they didn't add a upper overload spring pack on the 3rd gen 2500 trucks. Add 1500 lbs of Redimix in the bed and it sags ....so instead of air bags I went with SuperSprings to help the rear spring pack carry the load LEVEL and still within its rating.
Many 4wd trucks sit level and start to sag when weight is added and doesn't mean the truck is overloaded.

If you like the truck and want to keep it then simply pay attention the trucks axle /tire load ratings.

Where is it written that it's OK to exceed the truck's GVWR? Excess axle capacity  is just like excess tire capacity, it's LOAD CAPACITY RESERVES.

Longhaul- Even without the yellow sticker, (which by the isn't useless) your truck should have a GVWR, maybe on a white and black sticker or on the manufacturer's literature. Scale your truck and subtract that weight from the GVWR. The total of the RAWR and FAWR is NOT equal to your GVWR. The total of the axle weight ratings is usually higher than the GVWR.

satxron said:
Regardless of if the truck can do it. The horrible "if" is if there is a rear end collision or intersection accident with big injury. The civil and statutory issues for running in excess of the limits can be real heavy. 
The Yellow sticker is only an Attorneys tool in the Commercial vehicle world.

In the Rv world, If you can't get stopped for any reason.......you are 100% at fault..  they don't care if you were not paying attention,  or you put too much junk in your truck or trailer.

Your insurance co. is liable for the limits of the policy either way. Proving Gross or Criminal negligence is financially impractical.   

You can modify your 1/2 ton truck to carry more weight and if it is not used for commercial purposes ...it is perfectly legal.

I can hand start with a hand built steel frame, build a 2 ton special construction truck or Class A motorhome in my garage, get it licensed/insured,  hook it up a hand built trailer,  ...  not a yellow sticker on a single door....and it's legal.  I have done many SPCN vehicles.

IMO>  I would stiffen up the suspension with an good overload spring system and beef up the tires/wheels. Take it out fully loaded and test drive it hard.  If it feels okay, go with it.    :) 

TonyDtorch said:
The Yellow sticker is only an Attorneys tool in the Commercial vehicle world.

In the Rv world, If you can't get stopped for any reason.......you are 100% at fault..  they don't care if you were not paying attention,  or you put too much junk in your truck or trailer.

You can modify your 1/2 ton truck to carry more weight and if it is not used for commercial purposes ...it is perfectly legal.

IMO>  I would stiffen up the suspension with an good overload spring system and beef up the tires/wheels. Take it out fully loaded and test drive it hard.  If it feels okay, go with it.  :)

You disregarding a yellow sticker in your tow vehicle seriously hurting or killing somebody is the attorney's tool in all cases. It goes to negligence on your part. Intentional or negligently causing the mechanical limits to be exceeded turns into money in his pocket.

You are right, you can pull any weight you want until you hit something. Your behaviors before the collision are a factor in evaluating your charges and penalties at the District Attorney's level after the accident.

Your insurance company will pay your limit, it may not be enough for what you owe as a civil judgement.

Then, of course, there is the moral deal. That idea that you may have killed somebody because you didn't want to buy the right size for the tow vehicle capacity. In a push through (towed weight pushes straight when you want to turn away) accident those killed could be your family.

I do understand everything you are saying. I just feel a lot safer taking the advice of the engineers that make this stuff. If they give me a particular load capacity, I pay attention.

Vehicle certification is serious. Vehicle manufacturers cannot ?whitewash? the information.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/xml/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-part567.xml

Get yourself a 3500 DRW with the Cummins diesel. You will not regret it.  You can pull/haul anything you will ever need or want to.  They hold their value very well too.

longhaul said:
One of my trucks is a '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins 3.73 NV5600 quad cab with a 13350 lb tow rating.
This truck was made before the useless yellow tire placard payload sticker became mandatory industry wide in '06 era.
It has a 6000 lb RAWR with a 2840 lb unladin rear axle weight....leaves the truck with around 3160 lb payload in the bed. I keep a scaled front and rear axle load ticket in all of my trucks. That way I know how much payload is available.

With my 11200 lb 5th wheel trailer and 2200-2280 lb pin weight leaves the trucks rear axle in 5100-5200 lb range. The front axle stays w/i 30 lbs or so with the trailer or empty.
Of course the Cummins has no problems easily pulling its max tow rating.

For some reason only known to Dodge , they didn't add a upper overload spring pack on the 3rd gen 2500 trucks. Add 1500 lbs of Redimix in the bed and it sags ....so instead of air bags I went with SuperSprings to help the rear spring pack carry the load LEVEL and still within its rating.
Many 4wd trucks sit level and start to sag when weight is added and doesn't mean the truck is overloaded.

If you like the truck and want to keep it then simply pay attention the trucks axle /tire load ratings.
I have the same truck, except 3500.  Love it!  Looking to get a new one set up the same way (diesel, 4 door, 4x4, 6 speed manual, flatbed).  They are a BEAST of a truck!

gravesdiesel said:
Get yourself a 3500 DRW with the Cummins diesel. You will not regret it.  You can pull/haul anything you will ever need or want to.  They hold their value very well too.
of coarse!  and if money is no object then forget pickups and 5th wheels and get a new Prevost.  you won't regret that.  :)

FastEagle said:
Vehicle certification is serious. Vehicle manufacturers cannot ?whitewash? the information.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/xml/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-part567.xml
Those DOT regs do not even apply to the many thousands of 'Special Construction Vehicles'.

Only larger scale manufactures that build over a certain amount of vehicles must strictly adhere to manufactures DOT regs.

A private vehicle owner can legally modify any vehicle to make it whatever he wants,  he can paint over or remove every DOT sticker if he wants,  except for the actual VIN plate.

A small scale manufacture or home made vehicle have little or no DOT regs to follow. ( I've done several ).    SPCN vehicles can legally be registered in California and many other states and are legal drive on all the roads of America.

If you build your own vehicle, California only requires a Brake and Light inspection Cert. ($45) and then an assigned VIN number plate is affixed to the chassis by DMV . It will be registered and insured as a SPCN....not a Ford or Chevy no mater what engine it has.       
You will not see any DOT stickers on a Jessie James motorcycle frame, he didn't make that many motorcycles.

YES...You really can legally build and drive your own home made vehicle here in the United States of America.  You can take a cab from a half ton truck and put it on a military Duce and a half chassis and hook up the biggest 5th wheel you want and go camping.

sorry all you sticker police...GVW stickers are not even an issue for non-commercial vehicles.  :)

Don't be afraid....some of these people probably think they can be charged for tearing the label off their mattress.

IMO>    Beef it up, make it stronger,  it will still perfectly legal to drive.

In reality, no attorney will go after a private citizen for Gross Negligence just because the numbscull hooks way too up to large of trailer to a vehicle.

Stupidity is not a punishable offence and for whatever reason they can't teach Common Sense in college.  Chances are most people towing RV trailers have never had any certified drivers instructions on how to safely operate a combo vehicle on the roads anyway.

So, Like all laws...they are only as good as the enforcement.

TonyDtorch said:
Those DOT regs do not even apply to the many thousands of 'Special Construction Vehicles'.

Only larger scale manufactures that build over a certain amount of vehicles must strictly adhere to manufactures DOT regs.

A private vehicle owner can legally modify any vehicle to make it whatever he wants,  he can paint over or remove every DOT sticker if he wants,  except for the actual VIN plate.

A small scale manufacture or home made vehicle have little or no DOT regs to follow. ( I've done several ).    SPCN vehicles can legally be registered in California and many other states and are legal drive on all the roads of America.

If you build your own vehicle, California only requires a Brake and Light inspection Cert. ($45) and then an assigned VIN number plate is affixed to the chassis by DMV . It will be registered and insured as a SPCN....not a Ford or Chevy no mater what engine it has.       
You will not see any DOT stickers on a Jessie James motorcycle frame, he didn't make that many motorcycles.

YES...You really can legally build and drive your own home made vehicle here in the United States of America.  You can take a cab from a half ton truck and put it on a military Duce and a half chassis and hook up the biggest 5th wheel you want and go camping.

sorry all you sticker police...GVW stickers are not even an issue for non-commercial vehicles.  :)

Don't be afraid....some of these people probably think they can be charged for tearing the label off their mattress.

IMO>    Beef it up, make it stronger,  it will still perfectly legal to drive.

It's quite obvious you did not read or understand the reference.

FastEagle said:
It's quite obvious you did not read or understand the reference.

Looks like I am reading that every person who alters the sticker vehicles carrying capacity has to add a sticker and fill out a form with the date altered and its rating and accept liability for compliance.

Did I read that wrong?

like I said .    All laws are only as good as the enforcement is. 

But the answer is ...Yes, you did read it right..... you should read our immigration laws.  :) 

have you seen the huge custom parts industry that thrives on people modifying their vehicles ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom