Do any new motorhomes have the new 12 speed automatic transmission ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

TonyDtorch

I have a friend that drives a semi with the new 12 speed automatic,  he loves it.

is it going to show up in motorhomes ?        maybe Prevost ?

New Freightliners have them,  the reviews are very good....and it would be necessary for Autonomous trucking. 

I heard Prevost is using the new Volvo engine, maybe they have upgraded the transmissions too.

Prevost is now owned by Volvo, so they use Volvo components wherever practical. Both the Volvo I-shift and Allison transmissions are available from Prevost.  As I understand it, the I-shift is a semi-automatic 12 speed that uses two peddles to operate, so maybe not so attractive to motorhome drivers.

New Freightliners have them,  the reviews are very good....and it would be necessary for Autonomous trucking.

Some Freightliner trucks, maybe, but the XL and SL motorhome chassis use only Allison 3000-MH or 4000-MH 6-speeds. So far, anyway.  Allison has the TC10 speed in production, but it's a 5 speed plus a two-speed "range" gear. It appears to be fully automatic 10 speed, though.

I doubt it's the same, but if its the ZF-Astronic 12 speed you're talking about, I would advise that you not just walk away from it, but run.  I have been driving motor coach (charter bus) for nearly 16 years.  The ZF's came in starting in mid 2000's with promises of fuel savings, driving ease, and lower maintenance costs.  There was a miniscule fuel savings, but for the other claims--fuggedaboudit!

We have been running the Detroit DT12 behind the DD13 engine now for a couple of years and after getting the driver's accustomed to it they won't drive anything else.  It is actually an automated manual trans but  I have been very impressed and have been wondering how long until they start to show up in high end coaches but haven't seen or heard of anything yet.

The Volvo I-drive is the closest available in Super C's so I think it will be in the near future.  Unfortunately it will be well beyond my means of affording. :(

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom