RV Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith Schnell

I am looking to buy my first RV (Thor Quantum PD31) and have been thinking of building a shelter to protect it from the sun and rain.  My salesman recommended just buying a RV cover.  A lot less expensive at least initially.  What has been your experience with the covers.  Is there an issue with mold or mildew inside the RV while it is closed up for the season?  Are there any precautions that I should take?  I would anticipate the life of a cover being 2-3 years.  Would this be correct?

I purchased my cover for the Oregon winters. It is usually covered from Nov through April. Wind, snow and lots of rain. So far it has been worth it. However since they are lightweight ANY sharp edges will cut through them. You must pad any edge.

I bought a cover for a travel trailer years ago. The first time my wife, daughter and I put it on.

The second time my wife and I put it on.

The third and last time I put it on alone as no one else showed up to help. I'm a slow learner.

They are heavy and can be a pain to install. Be sure you tie them down go as they will flap with the wind and also rub on corners.

Search the topic on the site. You will find out a few things.  1. Campers are designed to be in the elements and no need for a cover. 2. Covers are heavy, bulky dirty and hard to store easily. 3. Covers that come loose under high winds etc. will DO ALOT of damage flapping and rubbing. 4. Not needed.

I'd invest in a good spring cleaning every year on the exterior (wash-wax)  and in my mind when it comes time to sell, the wear and tear on the camper will not be a question like the damage a loose of flapping cover did to the side of the camper. Just my two cents.

If you've got the funds to build a shelter, that's the way to go. You could close up a side of the shelter with a tarp if you're concerned about the sun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom