Best route from east to west

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaw111

We will be heading from MD to SD-Montana in 2 weeks,Just wondering what would be the best route,look at gps and it has me going by Cleveland,Chicago,

Yes that is the way.  If you want to avoid tolls, take I68 to i79, pick up i70 then I 77, then go on route 30 Canton, Ohio to Chicago Area.  It will save you $$$ in tolls and the Roads are decent.

Could you take I-70 to I-74, connecting to I-80 west of At the Iowa/Illinois border? I do just about anything to stay out of Chicago.

Sorry, I meant i68 not I65.  I corrected.

Sure, no problem.  70 is under construction west of Columbus as usual.  70 in PA is toll, about $80 from Breezwood.

We just completed our Chicago to SD round trip.  We stayed on 90 the entire way and had no problems.  There is some construction around the MN / SD border with narrow lanes, but that was the only slow down. 
Take a look at your traffic map before you make the turn to Cleveland.  It may make more sense to take 70 to Indy & pick up 65.  That avoids (most of) the tolls on 80.  And, most of the construction across Indiana on 80.  You can stay on 80 / 94 until you get to 355 (Chicago's outer belt) and avoid the majority of Chicago traffic. 

Should you want a place to stop, we stayed at "Al's Oasis" in Oacoma, SD on the way out.  It's nothing special, but it's easy access, has clean facilities and a clean pool.  If you're stopping at Mt. Rushmore on your trip and are looking for a campground the "Rafter J Bar Ranch" in Hill City was fantastic.

We figure to take 4 days to get to custer for a week then 2 days to get to west glacier for 14 days,1 day to get to cody for 15 days then on to grand tetons of 9 days,wanted to try and stay away from chicago

UTTransplant said:
Could you take I-70 to I-74, connecting to I-80 west of At the Iowa/Illinois border? I do just about anything to stay out of Chicago.

That's a good route. 68 and 79 up to 70, West to Indy, 74 to Davenport area, and 80 to Omaha, then up I-29 to Sioux Falls, then 90 to Rapid City and the Black Hills.

LarsMac said:
That's a good route. 68 and 79 up to 70, West to Indy, 74 to Davenport area, and 80 to Omaha, then up I-29 to Sioux Falls, then 90 to Rapid City and the Black Hills.

thats what i was looking for,Would it be a good route towing a 39' fifth wheel

jaw111 said:
thats what i was looking for,Would it be a good route towing a 39' fifth wheel

Yes, it would. It is interstate highway the whole route. An easy drive, with few real cities to deal with. Gets you to your destination area quickly.
When you get to Columbus, Ohio, take the southern beltway(I-270) and at Indy, the same (I-465)
It's an easy four days.

I will be taking a similar path. Although taking 90 south of Cleveland (I 80W to I 90) OH, and Gary IN, staying mostly south of Chicago.  Then back to I80 into Davenport IA.  Wondering how that route is around Cleveland and Chicago.

Anyone?

Gods Country said:
I will be taking a similar path. Although taking 90 south of Cleveland (I 80W to I 90) OH, and Gary IN, staying mostly south of Chicago.  Then back to I80 into Davenport IA.  Wondering how that route is around Cleveland and Chicago.

Anyone?

80/90 across from west side of Cleveland to Gary, IN is not TOO bad. A bit busy, but driveable. And then the 94/80 to Joliet is Really fast and busy. The whole drive is not at all a pleasant drive.
We much prefer the "scenic route"  - From Cleveland, take I-71 to Mansfield, OH and follow US-30 to Ft Wayne. From there, US 24 to Peoria, and follow I-74 to the Quad Cities area to pick up I-80. It takes probably a couple of hours longer, but we have an overnight stop along the way, anyway.

LarsMac said:
80/90 across from west side of Cleveland to Gary, IN is not TOO bad. A bit busy, but driveable. And then the 94/80 to Joliet is Really fast and busy. The whole drive is not at all a pleasant drive.
We much prefer the "scenic route"  - From Cleveland, take I-71 to Mansfield, OH and follow US-30 to Ft Wayne. From there, US 24 to Peoria, and follow I-74 to the Quad Cities area to pick up I-80. It takes probably a couple of hours longer, but we have an overnight stop along the way, anyway.

Thank you.  Will take that into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom