EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Battery Problem  (Read 251 times)

kev12

• ---
Battery Problem
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
Had a battery problem this weekend. After about a 4 hour trip and arriving to campground close to 10pm, when I plugged in the shore power to my Coachmen Freedom Express, got nothing. Changed sites thinking it may be the shore power, but still nothing. Started checking fuses, made a trip to walmart few miles away to see if they had new power cord in stock, basically trying anything. At this point its midnight, wife and kids are asleep in truck and I noticed a bad smell and smoke coming from 12v battery. After a quick google, didn't take long to find out the battery was done. I unhooked the battery, plugged in shore power and everything was good. Couple of things, (for my ongoing learning about these beautiful creatures) why would the shore power not work because of the bad 12v battery? What likely caused the problem with the battery? I bought the TT in March new, maybe just a bad battery? Thanks for any input 

TonyDtorch

• ---
Re: Battery Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
it sounds like you have a shorted battery...
go buy a new battery and verify the charge wires are connected correctly. It could be the battery was installed backwards. 

Telemark46

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:48:31 AM »
Assuming the battery was in use, and working, for a while, it was likely hooked up correctly.  I had a battery fail recently when I forgot to take out the fuse during 3 weeks of storage.   When the battery goes dead, it can short out some of the cells, which I believe could lead to smoking in extreme cases.  However, even though the battery would not hold a charge, everything did work on shore power. 
2006 Toyota 4Runner, 4.7L V8
2007 Jay Feather Sport 186

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:01:34 AM »
If the battery had cells shorted then it would drag down the 12 volts through out the RV and you wouldn't have 12 volt power.

Had you ever checked the water in the battery? 

Do you have an inverter system?

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:50:53 AM »
why would the shore power not work because of the bad 12v battery?

It was probably working, but you didn't see the result you expected.

Hardly anything in an RV works on 120v alone - lights are 12v, controller circuit boards are 12v, etc. The fridge won't run on shore power if no 12v for its controller, and even the a/c doesn't work if the wall thermostat has no 12v.  I'm guessing that the shorted battery caused the converter/charger to shut down, so you had no 12v from either battery or converter.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

keymastr

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
Yup, Gary hit the nail on the head. If a battery goes dead or nearly dead in storage then it will charge really hard which can boil the water out of the cells. That can cause shorted cells and always shortens battery life.

Your co and propane alarms and things like the radio and tv  memories are always drawing some power, especially the alarms. They will drain a battery in a matter of a few days, certainly less than a week. Be sure to use the battery disconnect if you store with no power. Even then batteries lose a certain amount just from sitting so a monthly charge would be a good idea.

Hosted by Over The Network