Fridge problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jepp0711

Hello,

I have a 1989 Nomad by Skyline that has a Dometic 2501 AC/LP fridge. The fridge cools on both gas and AC, but does not get cold. When you turn the knob on the temp control setting too far (to get colder) the fridge does not cool at all and goes to room temp. This occurs on both LP and AC. The are no signs of leaking ammonia and it does not make any strange sounds. I noticed that the flame continues burning blue even when the system does not cool. Any suggestions as to the cause of this problem? Much appreciated.

Can't help you with your problem but just wanted to say there's no need to post it twice. If you post it in the wrong place, one of the Forum Staff Members will move it to a different section where they feel you'd get better visibility. 

Control board would be my first suggestion.  But with a refer that old you will probably be far better off replacing it.

That sounds like a heat shedding problem to me, which typically means lack of adequate air flow over the rear cooling unit.  When you turn the temp down too low, it gets so hot in the back that the condensor no longer condenses the ammonia coolant back to liquid form, so the cooling action in the evaporator stops.  Look for blockage behind the fridge (via the outer access panel), anything that would reduce air flow in the door and up/out through roof top vent.  If the air flow path is good, add a small 12v fan to help the air move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom