Replace 45 AMP to 55 AMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigguyone

Hi,  i need to replace my 45 AMP converter, the papers said it came with a 45 AMP (but it has gone missing i cant find it). I just got the 99 Minnie Winni and the last owner had a battery charger in there, and it dont work anymore. 

I have look in the power center and there is no room for a converter.  It must have had one that plug into the 110v to charge them.  I see a lot out there that just plug in, but i want to know if i can step up to a 55 AMP?   

I see one that has a power center with a 55AMP converter all in one, it also has the 3 stage charging system with it.  it had about the same thing in it that my power center has.  My are 2 6V 225 battery,  the only thing would be going from 45 to 55 AMP.

Thanks for any help on this
Dave

The converter has gone missing??

What is the make (and model) of the power centre?? The original converter in some models is part and parcel of the power centre, just looks like a bunch of wires etc. Not all of them plug into a receptacle. Can you go up to 55 amps?, Yes...

Depending on the make and model of the power centre, there are replacement modules available that will fit just as the original one did

Hi,  no i mean no converter at all .  there is no place for it in the power center  at all,  The only way i knew it came with a 45 AMP is it said in the paper that was in M/H.    Its a Magnetex Model 80  is the best i can make out.  I have looked for it and dont see anything at all. 

I have heard that some dont have a converter,  it charge off the power center some how,  but all i see that dose that has a built in converter, 

bigguyone said:
Hi,  no i mean no converter at all .  there is no place for it in the power center  at all,  The only way i knew it came with a 45 AMP is it said in the paper that was in M/H.    Its a Magnetex Model 80  is the best i can make out.  I have looked for it and dont see anything at all. 

I have heard that some dont have a converter,  it charge off the power center some how,  but all i see that dose that has a built in converter,
If it charges from the power center it has to have a converter located either in or behind the power center.
I'm not familiar with  the model 80, can you take the cover off of it and get us a pic? Is there a breaker marked converter in your power center? If there is you can trace the wires and see where they go. May be the PO removed it because it wasn't working. You might want to call Randy at bestconverter.  I used a 9260 which is a 60 amp converter. I did replace the wires going to the batteries with heavier wire, and it worked great. 
http://www.bestconverter.com/

Doesn't look like the model 80 had an incorporated converter installed in it, so it must have been a separate unit. You can use any converter you choose, I like the PD9260 series but boondocker makes a good one also.

Short answer is yes. You can go from a 45 to a 55 Likely with no problem

Now.. On some you will need to upgrade the wires,,,,, but the upgrade (only about 20%) should not over tax your existing wiring.. IT MAY overtax a fuse or circuit breaker however.

Yea didn't think it had one in power center,  so must have been removed.    The one I was looking at was a converter and power center all in one.  But  I will see what bestconverters has and go from there. 

I just got my RV,  still working on fixing things learning how things work.  I have found a lot of info on here
Thanks for your help 

If you have a separate converter/charger, it could be anywhere.  My Arctic Fox 26x trailer had the AC breakers and DC fuses mounted in a Magnetek power center underneath the rear queen bed while the converter was mounted forward underneath the stove.  The power center didn't have the converter compartment on the bottom, just the fuse and breaker sections

If you're putting in a stand-alone converter, your best bet is to put it close to the batteries.  Not in the same compartment (you don't want battery fumes corroding the electronics) but putting it in an adjacent compartment is fine.  Run the converter's wires directly to the batteries, not through the power center.

Short, fat wires between the converter and batteries will give you the best bulk charging rate.  Long, thin wires limit the amount of bulk charging current and make the charging rate taper off sooner.

Thanks Lou,  i have look just about every place i could think of  but no converter,  but the last owner put a charger in the side next to the steps.  The battery is in the step well,  so when i get one i will put it there, he cut a place so the face of the charger can be seen.  I think that will be a good place for the converter.   

Should only have to have about 2 feet of wire, and i can put a  A/C vent to cover the hole in the side,  that way it will get air for cooling.  But now i know what i need to do. 

Thanks

The Magnetec 80 is an AC/DC distribution panel only - no converter charger built in. Typically it had a Magnetek 63xx or 73xx converter with it, but not always. If present, it would be in the bottom of the unit and probably lacks identifying covers.

The Magnetec 80 looks like this:
http://fwc.fleetwoodrv.com/plant91Files/020410.JPG

Best Converter has converter replacement kits for these, but you can substitute a WFCO or Progressive Dynamics power center instead if you like.
http://www.bestconverter.com/MagnetekParallax-630073008300-Upgrade-Kits_c_64.html

Hi  Gary RV_Wizard,  Yea thats what mine looks like.  I think i mite go with the just the converter,
mite be better for now .  But thanks for the info

Dave

I have talk with Bestconverter's.  He said the boondocker would be the best one for me to co with,
so have order one and waiting for it to come in.  That should take care of that problem

Thanks

Update on converter,  Replaced converter a few days back,  and all is doing good battery is charged and holds, so that problem is fix. Now on to the next one.

Thanks for the help
Dave

I would NOT recommend a WFCO  but rather go with Progressive Dynamics.

Magnetek made at least one converter that was independent of the power center. IT may be in any compartment anywhere on the RV.. Look around, it is a metal box. kind of dark aluminum or steel in color with holes in it.

John From Detroit said:
I would NOT recommend a WFCO  but rather go with Progressive Dynamics.

Magnetek made at least one converter that was independent of the power center. IT may be in any compartment anywhere on the RV.. Look around, it is a metal box. kind of dark aluminum or steel in color with holes in it.

I was told that to  so went with a boondocker  looks like it does just fine.

x2 on NO WFCO. Bee there done that. I have a PD4655 Progressive dynamics and it will be fine for the GC2's.  It will also do a decent job if you go to four GC2. The PD will 14.4 volt charging which is a must if you want to run on a generator and get decent charge times

Back
Top Bottom