Leave No Trace!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Urban Hillbilly said:
And if I might add, pick up things others have left behind.
I know most RVer's are considerate of where they go and stay, but unfortunately some think they are still in their backyards. I posted this under Boondocking, but a lot of the same principles can be exercised at regular campgrounds, too.
I'm not trying to "bust" on anyone, but what we have left of our great outdoors belongs to everyone to enjoy.

Kind of judgmental aren't you. I know folks who talk the talk, but forget to walk the walk...which are you? Instead of lambasting what you ASSUME to be the truth, live your words and be an example and change YOUR little corner of the world.

"What we have left"??? I travel the Western USA and I see people caring from here to there, and a few less informed doing what you noted.

Having camphosted for a few years locally, I find most people are pretty good about keeping their sites clean, or at least cleaning before they leave.

There are some CG's that actually use the time between check out and check in to clean the campsite. Ft. Wilderness at Disney World is one of them. We pulled up to our site and it was spotless. It had been raked. I observed employees cleaning campsites during our stay. But it should be spic and span for $75 a day.

Most all the national forest campgrounds in Michigan have campground hosts and for the most part they do an excellent job cleaning the sites between visitors.  So with our 50% off senior discount when we check in the sites have been raked and the fire pits cleaned.  All this for ~$9 a night.  Of course if would easier on everyone if all national and state forest guests policed their sites.

Some times though what is left behind can be kind of weird.

Attachments

• IMG_0058c.JPG
    IMG_0058c.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 27
I have gone into people's houses and cars and almost thrown up due to the mess and the liter. Not everyone values neatness.

10-4 Tom.  A lady died one house down from us.  Can you say "hoarder" and 40 yard Dumpster time?

I really get ticked off when I see cigarette butts all over the ground at camp sites and RV spaces.

wackymac said:
I really get ticked off when I see cigarette butts all over the ground at camp sites and RV spaces.

That ticks me off too,...and I'm a smoker. I don't throw cigarette butts in my yard, nor do I like it if someone else throws them in my yard. That said I won't throw them in anyone else's yard either. Another thing that puzzles me is when one finds butts on the ground right around a butt disposal can.

me too about the butts.  One of my huge pet peeves about the more natural state park type campgrounds.  Usually it seem that the campers or CG hosts are pretty good about keeping sites clean, but the butts always remain....

With our scout troop, we general will form the line and walk doing a litter pick-up before loading up in the car.....and then do it again if the Scout master finds anything after....
Thing about scout troop, just like people in general...there are all kinds.

I've been really getting interested again in doing some backpacking.  Saw a youtube video (Kenneth Kramm) a while back where the guys expanded on the term
"Leave No Trace, Be No Trace"
That Be no trace really resonates with me.  In my thinking he meant to not only leave the place clean, but try to camp in such a way that others around you can enjoy the place too.  A good bit different with the RV perspective, but still loud music and bright lights come to mind....

wackymac said:
I have gone into people's houses and cars and almost thrown up due to the mess and the liter. Not everyone values neatness.

10-4 Tom.  A lady died one house down from us.  Can you say "hoarder" and 40 yard Dumpster time?

10-4 good buddy. I use to manage an apartment complex. Well actually it was mostly a bunch of small cabins in Reno. One lady moved out after living there a long time and the maintenance man told me that she owned several small dogs and no one ever saw them leave the cabin. He told me there was a path through the crap to get from the bathroom to the bed.  :)(

blw2 said:
me too about the butts.  One of my huge pet peeves about the more natural state park type campgrounds.  Usually it seem that the campers or CG hosts are pretty good about keeping sites clean, but the butts always remain....

With our scout troop, we general will form the line and walk doing a litter pick-up before loading up in the car.....and then do it again if the Scout master finds anything after....
Thing about scout troop, just like people in general...there are all kinds.

I've been really getting interested again in doing some backpacking.  Saw a youtube video (Kenneth Kramm) a while back where the guys expanded on the term
"Leave No Trace, Be No Trace"
That Be no trace really resonates with me.  In my thinking he meant to not only leave the place clean, but try to camp in such a way that others around you can enjoy the place too.  A good bit different with the RV perspective, but still loud music and bright lights come to mind....

Just getting back into it myself.  It has been many years since I did any backpacking and canoe camping.  It all of a sudden dawned on me that I am getting older and I better not keep putting this off to tomorrow.  I posted the link to a short 6 day, 5 night trip I just took with my son-in-law on the RVForum but here it is again.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wh_zxykPM8  I am planning in a week or two to take a solo trip 5 day, 4 night trip to the Michigan Mio area. 

While on the last trip shared camp with six wonderful women.  They are all friends and get together once a year backpacking.  I would guess they were 60-65ish.  They all had what I would consider the best and latest equipment.  As one said; she wants to keep doing this and as she gets older and best and LIGHTEST equipment really makes it all do able as we age.  Inspired,  I have just replaced my pack, sleeping bag and sleeping pad and shed a good 7 pounds.

Hope you enjoy getting back into backpacking.

Just watched your video. Looks like you had a great time. Beautiful country. Did you take your son-in-law along for muscle? Looks like he can handle himself.

Len and Jo said:
Just getting back into it myself.  It has been many years since I did any backpacking and canoe camping.  It all of a sudden dawned on me that I am getting older and I better not keep putting this off to tomorrow.  I posted the link to a short 6 day, 5 night trip I just took with my son-in-law on the RVForum but here it is again.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wh_zxykPM8  I am planning in a week or two to take a solo trip 5 day, 4 night trip to the Michigan Mio area. 

While on the last trip shared camp with six wonderful women.  They are all friends and get together once a year backpacking.  I would guess they were 60-65ish.  They all had what I would consider the best and latest equipment.  As one said; she wants to keep doing this and as she gets older and best and LIGHTEST equipment really makes it all do able as we age.  Inspired,  I have just replaced my pack, sleeping bag and sleeping pad and shed a good 7 pounds.

Hope you enjoy getting back into backpacking.

Nice spot!  I only skipped through your video, in a hurry to get to work..... but looks like a great trip!
I see you have a solo stove.  Like it? 
I love the idea of something like that, but in the vain of your point about getting light, I recently bought a little BRS stove from amazon.  Less than $20 for a super ultralight way to heat water or warm some food.  I also recently got a zpacks arc blast pack.  Unbelievably light.....but expensive!  My last major thing to get is a lighter tent.  I have one suitable, but figure this older body can benefit from lighter weights....

blw2 said:
Nice spot!  I only skipped through your video, in a hurry to get to work..... but looks like a great trip!
I see you have a solo stove.  Like it? 
I love the idea of something like that, but in the vain of your point about getting light, I recently bought a little BRS stove from amazon.  Less than $20 for a super ultralight way to heat water or warm some food.  I also recently got a zpacks arc blast pack.  Unbelievably light.....but expensive!  My last major thing to get is a lighter tent.  I have one suitable, but figure this older body can benefit from lighter weights....
I have a Huba one persom MSR tent, about 3.3 lbs.  IF I was doing it over again I might consider the Huba Huba two person tent, about 0.5 lbs heavier but twice the floor space.  Very easy to add weight.  A little extra here and a little extra there and all of a sudden you have added several pounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom