Unusual bang/explosion sound heard while in motion on Beaver coach.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 2006 Beaver Monterey IV coach (400 hp Cat). About 4 days ago we were driving over to the coast and we heard a loud explosion which sounded like a tire blowing out. I stopped the vehicle and checked all the tires which all looked good but we did notice a crack in the front windshield about the size of a dime, but don't remember when it might of happened. There wasn't any cars coming by us or in front of us when the noise happened. It sounded more like maybe one of the 8 air bags exploded (suspension system). Anyhow so we continued another 25 miles to our destination and I kept monitoring our air pressure gauge on the dash which was reading about 120 lbs., which was normal. We got to our destination and got set up and went through the normal procedure of leveling the unit by pushing the air bag automatic leveling system and everything seamed to work fine. We have been camped for about 3 days and everything still seams alright. Is there another way to check if possibly one of the air bags did explode or a air line broke? I would think we could hear air coming out of one of the bags or lines if that was the case and or the air pressure gauge would be dropping? Thanks for any suggestion. Maybe it was just the windshield hit?

An air line or air bag rupture would have to totally rupture to make a loud bang, and you'd know it immediately by the rapid drop in air pressure while one corner of the rig drops to the ground.

Sounds like your windshield ruptured.  Sometimes the glass can be nicked by a stone and not crack immediately, but that becomes the weak point and later on temperature or twisting stresses will crack the glass there.

If you can catch the nick before it expands into a crack you can repair the damage by injecting adhesive into the nick to fill the void.  But once the nick expands into a crack beyond a certain length the entire windshield has to be replaced.

Could the noise that you heard be from the "pop off valve" on your engine driven air compressor?

Mine has often startled me while the coach was at an idle and suddenly I hear this loud pop.

I am used to hearing this and it can be very loud.

Just a possibility to consider.

Not easy to see.... Check all the studs on all your wheels... If you had a loose lug nut you may have broke a stud.  Been there, done that.

When I blew a tire (Sidewall blow out) on the RV. Did not hear a thing.. DId hear the last time I blew one on the towed when it was being towed.. Go figure.

Last time I heard a loud explosion my China Bomb Air Conditioner Fan had blown up (Yes, it did) I replaced it with A US made fan (Coleman type) of the exact same size but opposite pitch so not my Advent Air SUCKS same as Coleman's do.. Makes cleaning the condener 1,000% easier .

I've checked everything and everything seams pretty normal! It appears it was from the windshield strike. I'm scheduled when I get back to have a repair shop come out and fix the rupture. Thanks again for all your feedback.

Use a gauge and check the INSIDE DUAL TIRES,,many time you can drive a long distance on the OUTSIDE TIRE and not know the inside is flat.>>>Dan

utahclaimjumper said:
  Use a gauge and check the INSIDE DUAL TIRES,,many time you can drive a long distance on the OUTSIDE TIRE and not know the inside is flat.>>>Dan

Just kick it. You'll know right away or hit it with a short piece of pipe.

Was it windy with a cross wind?  It took 3 times of the slide awning unfurling for me to notice it in the mirrors, as each time I stopped it had rolled back up.  But when we were travelling it would come out and flap with a loud bang.

Ed

The awning bang sounds very plausible on a windy day.  sometimes they rip completely off.

We had the slide out awning cause a loud bang on an extremely windy trip with our former Class A Newmar as described in another reply.  Good advice also on checking the inside rear tires as they can blow and not always be noticed from just looking quickly if the outside tires are still up.  That awning deal scared the heck out of me until I caught it happing in the rear view mirror.  We also had a prophane tank in an older coach make some pretty loud bangs from the safety pop off valve about 50 miles down the road after having it refilled.  Apparently the attendant overfilled it and once it got heated from the heat off the engine it caused the pop off valve to release.  Took us a while to diagnose that incident! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom