Locked out of storage...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ip076

Well, kind of.  First, I'm talking about the far forward storage on my 5er, up under the overhang, where the generator would go and it's where the batteries are stored.  In between the two propane cylinder cabins and forward of the pass through basement.

There's not much in there, just my mountain bike.  I think it shifted on the last leg of the journey and has jammed against the lock.  I can't turn the lock to open it with the key...I don't want to break the key off. 

Any ideas to access it?  Before I go ahead and empty the basement, can I even access that compartment from there?  I believe there's a fire break between the bays due to the generator potential in that forward bay, so I imagine that could be an issue. 

Thanks!

How about hooking it up, taking it for a little spin and making a fairly sharp turn or two in the direction that would shift the obstruction away from the door?  If that doesn't work, maybe try a fairly sudden stop when it's safe...?

Old Blevins said:
How about hooking it up, taking it for a little spin and making a fairly sharp turn or two in the direction that would shift the obstruction away from the door?  If that doesn't work, maybe try a fairly sudden stop when it's safe...?

Not a bad idea.  I've got tonight and one more in this park, maybe I'll try that when I leave here.

Reminds me of the time I did get locked out of my fifth wheel. Went to pick it up and found that I had left the keys at home. It was either a 60 mile trip to retrieve the key, or punch out the lock. So I used a screwdriver to punch out the lock of the compartment door to access the landing gear, then towed it home.

It was just a few dollars to replace the lock.

Drill out the lock. Start with a 1/4" drill bit and increase in size till the lock falls out. Should be fairly simple. I think.  :eek: ::) :)  If you start drilling perfectly centered, just the 1/4" drill bit should work. You'd be drilling out the small 1/4" screw holding the cam.

Rene T said:
Drill out the lock. Start with a 1/4" drill bit and increase in size till the lock falls out. Should be fairly simple. I think.  :eek: ::) :)  If you start drilling perfectly centered, just the 1/4" drill bit should work. You'd be drilling out the small 1/4" screw holding the cam.

I think I'll start with the driving idea, but this might be next on the list.  I'll make sure to get a replacement before I start.

Down with duck/duct tape :( Gorilla Tape (and goo gone -cleans tape residue great) is a vast improvement! ;D

Ernie

Haha.  Yes, I have duct tape.

Went ahead and drilled out the lock, got in no problem.  Ordered a replacement cam lock (not the one that's keyed with a key that opens everything...I've even had an airplane that was opened with that 751 key). 

ip076 said:
Haha.  Yes, I have duct tape.

Went ahead and drilled out the lock, got in no problem.  Ordered a replacement cam lock (not the one that's keyed with a key that opens everything...I've even had an airplane that was opened with that 751 key).

Glad you were able to get it opened. Thanks for getting back to us with the results. Many times we never know if we we're able to help out or not.
My shed uses a 751 key also.

Back
Top Bottom