Window Fell Apart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

The window next to the entrance door slides up to open. Along the top edge is an aluminum extrusion with the latch pins. The window glass fits in a U channel with a thin rubber sheet between the glass and frame. The weight of the glass hangs on this extrusion.

This assembly has come apart. It doesn't look like there was any adhesive. I haven't tried to reassemble, but fear it will just come apart again.

What's the best way to repair this?

Thanks, Tom

If I reading this correctly, the aluminum frame is slipping off the top of the glass? Is there a metal frame down the sides as well, or just the top piece?  If top only, all of that type I have seen has the frame glued to the glass with a metal-to-glass adhesive. If full frame, usually the metal pieces are just bound to each other, boxing in the glass so no adhesive needed.

If an adhesive is needed, something like Loctite Glass Glue would work well. Or any "superglue".
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_glass/overview/Loctite-Glass-Glue.htm

Yes Gary. There is an aluminum u-channel cross piece on the top (only). It has a rubber piece folded over the glass then the channel is pushed on.

I ended up using Weldwood Contact cement on all parts and pushing together before the cement set (contrary to normal contact cement practice).

That was a few months ago and I haven't been in a situation where I wanted that window open. It may fall apart again if I actually use it. If that happens I will try new rubber.

Thanks,
Tom

it sounds like what happened to one of my windows, except mine is a side slider. 
The glass was press-fitted into the extrusion with an elastomer gasket.  Just came apart one day.

I did as others have already suggested....used an adhesive.
except I am anti-silicone
I used some sort of clear caulk I had on hand... I think Lexel....taped it to hold while it cured.... that was a good while back now (maybe a year or so?).... so far so good
I tried and tried, even used clamps, but could not get it together with the gasket in place, so I left it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom