Dayton Ohio to West Point NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Fitz

I'm headed from Dayton Ohio to West POint NY in a couple of weeks.  Very little Northeast experience, and none in an RV.  I navigate with Google Maps on my phone, as well as a sanity check from a Rand McNally atlas.

Anything I should avoid???  Or anything I should not miss?  I have about 3 weeks to get there, so not in a big hurry....I just don''t want to get stuck somewhere I should have skipped.

Thanks much.

Fitz

We made the trip from Connecticut to Lima last month for a rally. We took I-80 for the westbound trip and returned via I-86/NY-17.

From I-75 north, took US-30 east to I-71 north into Cleveland. After visiting the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, we took I-90 east to I-86 east. I-86/NY-17 ends at I-87 not far from West Point.

Both routes were in pretty good shape: the western 50 miles of I-80 in PA was bumpy, as was the western 25 miles of I-86 in New York. There is construction near Binghamton, NY.

I would approach West Point from the south. Coming in from the north via Route 9W takes you through some pretty narrow city streets in Newburgh, then some fairly steep hills and curves continuing south.

There are some highways in NY that do not allow vehicles over certain weight.  One that comes to mind in the Taconic Parkway.  It's located on the East side of the Hudson River.  I'd just make sure the roads that you are taking are ok for RVs.  Also, the toll on I-80 in Ohio is a bit pricey depending on the number of axles.

As a rule, any highway in the northeast named "parkway" is limited to passenger cars only.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom