Climbing/working on aluminum sheet roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian

Hi all!  Newbie to the forum here.

I've got a 20' 1988 Terry Resort travel trailer that I've been working on to reseal the roof, and I'm also adding solar panels.  There was a bit of discoloration on a wall in one corner but I've taped up and sealed that entire corner of the roof and walls and the entire front where the roof meets the front siding.  The problem is that the roof seems to be multiple sheets of thin aluminum just laid across the roof beams.  They run full width side to side and are connected together with a tongue-and-groove type seal like hardwood floors.  It's pretty loose and not very even but it's keeping the water out.  When pressing down, I can feel very narrow beams, probably 1" wide underneath.  They're arches that are higher in the middle than the sides.  There doesn't seem to be any plywood under the aluminum.

With all that said, how can I safely get up onto the roof to do some work?  I've got my ladder that lets me do the sides as far as my arms can reach, but I can't reach the middle to reseal the vents or run new seal tape all the way across the width.  Any advice on what to do here?  I'm 250 lbs and I worry that these little beams won't hold my weight, even if I run a board across a few beams.  Am I just being paranoid?  I do know that I definitely can't walk on it because it's very thin.

Also, would it be a bad idea to drill small holes into these tiny beams to secure my solar panel?  Could I put some screws in to anchor down the aluminum sheets or just leave them be?

Thanks in advance!
Dorian

I had an '88 Wilderness (same manufacturer) with that construction. It's more likely galvanized steel sheet, but makes no difference. Put a piece of plywood across the rafters to give a working surface - the thin sheet is nowhere near strong enough to support even a child.

Thanks Gary.  You figure the rafters will hold my weight?  From what I've seen on roof rebuilding videos, the ends of the rafters where they meet the wall are not very thick at all...

Back
Top Bottom