charge controller thermometer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermanotorious

I got a thermometer for my charge controller since I read somewhere it helps quite a bit. I nestled the sensor in between 2 of the batteries in the bank. But my question is, would it be better to be near the batteries and not super close to them? Is it to measure ambient air temperature and adjust accordingly, or is it designed to measure the battery's temperature and adjust?

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 11
Mine came with no instructions....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016RU8JUY

It did immediately register temperature though

I tried looking that sensor up online. The manufacturer's website says place it at or near the batteries. Pretty poor in my opinion. Were it mine, it would get secured to a battery.

I believe the key here is to place the probe in the same environment in which the batteries reside.  Most charge controllers will measure ambient temp without a probe and adjust accordingly.  If the batteries reside in the same environment, temperature wise, where the temp is the same or darn close then you would not need the external thermometer. Typically the charge controller may be located in a heated location whereas the batteries may be located in the standard battery box subject to temperature fluctuations. So in answer to your question it really should not matter if the probe is attached to the battery or within the same environment.

Back
Top Bottom