EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: dead battery  (Read 288 times)

danford50

• ---
  • 2017 freedom Elite 29 fe
dead battery
« on: August 09, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
my friend checked my battery and he found out it was a dead battery, would you charge this battery or replace it, just don't understand why  this battery did not last but a year, is that normal or do I have another problem.
2017 Freedom Elite 29 fe

stripit

• ---
Re: dead battery
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:25:11 PM »
I used to get 4 plus years out of the batteries in my 5th wheel, for sure get 4 years out of the class C I have now, so i would say you need to check to see why your battery life is so short. Do you check water in the
cells if your battery caps come off? Maybe the charger unit is over charging and boiling the water out.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:45:04 PM »
You need to check the water levels and fill with DISTILLED water. If it was mine I'd check the water levels and then place a charger on it over night until it gets to a full charge.

I would also check the individual cells with a hydrometer (about $10 at Walmart) to make sure all the cells are good.

I wouldn't replace it just yet.

Is it a 6 volt or 12 volt battery?

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

billwild

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 06:48:43 AM »
When you park your motorhome do you leave it plugged in?  After returning from a trip I always left our coach plugged in just to keep the batteries charged up. Unplugged, say a month or more, they will discharge as there can be parasitic drains on the battery in a coach when left unplugged. Before replacing yours, give them a good charge, they may come back.

Bill

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:26:14 AM »
Not sure how he checked, but it's quite possible ti just needs charging. If the coach sat for weeks without being plugged in, the battery is very likely discharged. Whether it can be recharged is a matter of trying and seeing. If the battery has removable caps (flooded cell type), have your friend make sure the electrolyte is up to level in the cells. Add distilled water if not. Then re-charge.

You didn't mention if the dead battery is for the house power (lighting, etc) or engine starting. Your Freedom has at least two batteries, and maybe more.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Howard R

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 01:22:02 PM »
DanFord50 did you ever locate the Battery Disconnect switch (Store/Use) and verify it was in the 'Use' position and verify the batteries were being charged? (13.2 or above at batteries)

And as stated above, check water/fluid level.

Howard

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 35R
V10   F53
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Minnesota

Jim.B1

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 09:23:26 PM »
Question
Does your RV have a manual "Shut Off" switch for the house batteries?
Even if you are not using your RV, there is still a power draw for the CO2 and Propane Detectors.
This will drain your battery between uses.
When we first got into RVing we found this out the hard way.
Install a basic Battery Shut Off Switch $30.00 on the + side of the battery, and after each use, turn it to off and there will be "no" drain to the system.
When you return, turn it on and as you travel the battery will charge until you get to the park and plug into 110-volt.

danford50

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
I replace my battery  and turn the battery disconnected to the store position, when I am able to I plan on taking off the negative side of the battery off.
2017 Freedom Elite 29 fe

danford50

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »
thanks for all of your advices everyones
2017 Freedom Elite 29 fe

sadixon49

• ---
  • Fishers, Indiana
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »
Just remember the battery will not charge in the store position. Store is for storage, and is to keep the battery from being discharged by loads, but no charging can occur while in the store position. Many things won't run with the battery in store, including your back-up camera.
steve
2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD
E-450 Ford, 6.8 V-10
EEZRV TPMS

Hosted by Over The Network