Glenn Campbell RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
During the wee hours, I was saddened to hear about the passing of the great entertainer and fabulous guitar player Glen Campbell. He died at the age of 81 after a long battle with Alzheimer's.

Very sad, one of my heroes bites the dust. As a retired electrician I adapted Wichita Lineman as my theme song. Used to sing it at work all the time. And we called my boss the Rhinestone Cowboy because he was rich and bought himself a 711 acre ranch near Paso Robles. Glen was an outrageously great guitar player, one of the Wrecking Crew and he played on a lot of Beach Boys stuff too. Just last year I watched the excellent documentary on Netflix called 'It'll Be Me' from 2014 and it tells all about his career and his Alzheimer's problems. If you like Glen you will not want to miss it. Or you can watch it on YouTube for $3.99.

https://youtu.be/x-6Vjzq8dAk

KCRW  (the radio station I used to work for) interviewed his wife and record producer a couple of weeks ago about Glen's continuing Alzheimers battle and how they handled his farewell concert tour and his final album, which was released about the same time as the interview.

Although Alzheimers affected his memory and eventually robbed him of his speech,  he continued to be able to read and his musical abilities remained intact. They put the lyrics on a Teleprompter so he could read them and he gave full throated performances.

The interview is available on KCRW's Web site, the direct link I posted earlier has expired, but after this page loads you can scroll down to the last segment and play it there:

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/press-play-with-madeleine-brand/humans-on-mars-and-rosa-parks-pancakes

One of my favorite singers and an accomplished guitarist.  We were able to see him at Harrah's Lake Tahoe when he was in his prime (and so were we).  Quite a show.

A great interview Lou, thanks for posting.

I never was a fan, but I did appreciate his talent. RIP Mr. Campbell.

He said he grew up really poor but was blessed with a wonderful voice and the ability to use it.  We'll miss him!

ArdraF and JerryF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom