Furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtbarey12

Hi ,I'm new to this. I have an 02 Starcraft trailer. I had a new thermostat -Dometic single- and a new converter installed in '14. I used it a week. Then it sat till now. When it's hooked up to truck or battery or 110 the furnace stays on. I tried the thermostat but nothing. I called installer and he had me take fuse out ,but the fuse is for refrigerator too. When it's hot I shut off gas and furnace went off . Then it will come on again when gas is back on and won't shut off! Can I disconnect a wire ? Any ideas?

Sounds like the thermostat is wired wrong Or failed.
It seems to be calling for heat all of the time unless it gets an error for no gas.
Maybe heat and a/c are reversed.

I agree with something with the t-stat or wiring. Try disconnecting the t-stat altogether. Take a good pic or two of the wiring before you disconnect it. If the furnace stops running when it shouldn't, post the pic(s) here and maybe someone here can tell you how to hook it back up correctly, and test the t-stat. If the furnace still keeps running, let us know.

I agree T-Stat is mis-wired or is the wrong type

For now.. If you go outside and remove the outer cover from the furnace  IF IT IS AN ATWOOD. there is  a switch (Actually a circuit breaker but looks like a switch, operartes as one too) NOTE. Turning it off MAY disable your thermostat. though that may happen now or  after a period of time.

THe problem is the Stat

If you used the trailer in '14 without any issues with the thermostat and heating/cooling system then its wired correctly. I'd suspect the t-stat has failed in some way or at least start your trouble shooting with it. Also check the wiring to see if maybe a mouse has chewed the insulation off. Also if the t-stat has a mechanical switch(es) try spraying some electrical cleaner into the switch and work it back and forth.

Thanks everyone! The year it was replaced was 2015 not 14. I'll be using the trailer this coming week. If I disconnect just the wire from the stat to the furnace will that keep it off? Or will gas still flow to it? I'll still need the AC hooked up to the T-stat.

Pull the t-stat cover off and disconnect the wires. Take pics to be able to hook back up.

Disconnecting either blue wire SHOULD kill the furnace,, Swappign the blue wires may fix it. .. BUT again I warn you if the T-Stat is electronic and has a rechargable battery.. The FURNACE is what charges it. not the Air Conditioners, in most cases.

You can disconnect the thermostat wire to the furnace at the furnace end as well.  Since you want the a/c to work, you need to make sure the wire you disconnect is for the furnace only.

The gas valve to the furnace will not be open unless the fan runs and the burner ignites and stays running. The built-in safety features close the gas valve whenever the flame goes out.

The furnace has its own 12v power source, direct to the furnace. It does not get its power thru the thermostat - that wire is merely a trigger to get it started.  There may be a switch on the furnace itself as well, to disable it. If not, find the fuse for that 12v wire and remove to disable the furnace.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom