Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tfconlon

I don't do a lot of miles per year, I pull my trailer between 200 to 600 miles each year.

I need to replace  my tires, I am on the fence with going with the Maxxis brand, or a good quality less expensive tire. Can anybody out there recommend a good tire?

Spend the money and get good tires.  I travel 2500 +/- miles a year. I blew the 2 Power... something stock tires on my 2012 cougar 5th  wheel in 2014. $1800 in damages. Roadside said they were junk. Sold me Turnpike tires. Said these were a good tire. Decided when they were 5 years old, get new ones. Blew a tire this past Saturday on the opposite side damaging the second tire and the trailer. Again roadside said Turnpikes were junk. Both tire brands are junk, cheap. I rotate the tires every year and check the air pressure a lot. Getting Goodyear when I get home. Need to check that they are not made in chima There's not much info online to guide you on tires. Dont buy tires made in China is about all the information I saw. You get what you pay for. Hope this helps.

With that low usage, I would buy inexpensive tires and plan on replacing them in 5 years. They will probably still look like new then, but the risk of internal failure gets greater each year that they just sit around.  Tires actually last longer in regular use.

Tires that are sparsely used  degrade faster than those that are used more often. A high percentage of RV trailers come with tires that have the minimal requirement for the load they may be asked to carry. Some times with a sparsely used RV trailer it becomes a storage area for things the owner wants to keep protected from the elements. That extra weight could cause the tire to be overloaded while in storage which shortens its life expectancy tremendously. The effect is compounded by lack of proper inflation pressures. It?s not going to make a difference what brand it is or how much it costs. It?s just a fact about what?s going to happen. 

Trailers come with tire sizes fro 13" on a 5k trailer on up to a 16"/17.5" G or H tire at 4400-6008 lb capacity.
What size and load range are your OEM trailer tires ??

I'm running ST235 16 R 80. Saw the replies and appreciate it but 6-8 trips a year for 3000 miles was a lot of trips. I'm going to have my axles checked for alignment and should weigh the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom