Is an aluminum or rubber membrane better for a replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbkeene99

I need a complete new roof on my class A.  Any thoughts on aluminum or rubber membrane roof? 

You will probably get more responses if you phrase your title properly. 'Roof' just does not cut it. Try something like 'Is an aluminum or rubber membrane better for a replacement?"

^yep^ I agree that would get more replies.

An aluminum roof will have as many seams and openings as there are in a membrane roof. I've never had an aluminum roof on an RV, but have slept in buildings with metal roof. It can get loud in in a good hard rain. If you are getting a membrane roof, talk to roofers that do commercial and industrial buildings. There's no rule that says you have to use membranes made specifically for RV's. The commercial stuff is probably better and cheaper than something marketed for RV's.

There are all kinds of roofing options.  Aluminum, fiberglass, rubber, TPO, paint on, spray on.

What is the original problem?  Leaks? Soft spots?  Dry rot?

I've owned coachs with aluminum, rubber, and now fiberglass. The Itasca that I had ,had a one piece aluminum roof and it had many pinholes in it, but it was pretty old when I bought it. Then I owned 2 coachs with rubber roofs, they too were old when I bought them, but the roofs were in very good shape. The coach I have now is old too, but it has a fiberglass roof. It has the white streaks that goes down on the sides and windows just like the rubber roofs did. The fiberglass and aluminum roofs are much louder when it rains, but are much easier to clean to mold off of. Putting on a new roof, the rubber roof would probably much cheaper to do.

In terms of maintenance and ruggedness, almost anything is better than EPDM rubber. TPO, aluminum or fiberglass sheeting are all more resistant to damage, easier to clean, and cause less streaking on the sides of the RV from water runoff. 

However, resistance to leaks is about the same and that's probably the primary concern. The seams and openings through the roof are where water leaks occur and all types of RV roofing have the same amount and type of seams & openings, are subject to the same stresses of movement, and use the same types of caulk (lap sealant).  No practical difference on that score.

We had a Class C years ago with an aluminum roof. While tracking down a leak, I discover the aluminum had thousands of tiny pinholes in it that a local sheet metal supplier told me was from acid rain after seeing a sample piece. After stripping the roof and replacing the Luan decking as needed, I installed an EPDM "rubber" roof. An additional benefit besides no more leaks was the reduced noise in rain storms. On our current Class A, the original EPDM roof has been in place for 16 years with zero leaks and zero patches. Our previous Class A's EPDM roof is now 22 years old, and also has had zero leaks with patches only where a couple of antennas were removed.

about half the problems people have with EDPM roofs are caused by a tree that looked higher than it was...

and with a membrane roof,  sometimes a wind event can change your vacation plans.....

Thanks Marty. I don't have an opinion on roofs, I know nothing about them, but I do know how to find information on the Internet. You have to use the proper search terms. :)

I wasn't aware you could choose between aluminum and rubber.  I thought it had to do with the design of the coach.  Anyway, aluminum was always susceptible to hail around here. 
There is also spray liner roofs like rhino liner that folks rave about.

TonyDtorch said:
and with a membrane roof,  sometimes a wind event can change your vacation plans.....
Same can be said about fiberglass, just ask some of the Winne owners that have had their roofs blow off.

Charlie 5320 said:
Same can be said about fiberglass, just ask some of the Winne owners that have had their roofs blow off.

yes that has happened on the Winne with that thin flat fiberglass sheeting that is just tucked into a aluminum track on the sides and held in place with caulking ....but I've never heard of it happening to motorhome with a real cast fiberglass roof.

Few coaches have a "cast" fiberglass roof. The main area is usually thin fiberglass sheeting, rolled out, glued here & there, and fastened & sealed at the edges. The front & rear caps are molded fiberglass, but not the broad areas.

Winnebago had some major issues with the quality of the side seams that caused their buyers no end of grief, but it's not correct to blame that on the material used. Poor installation buggers up even the best material!.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Few coaches have a "cast" fiberglass roof. The main area is usually thin fiberglass sheeting, rolled out, glued here & there, and fastened & sealed at the edges. The front & rear caps are molded fiberglass, but not the broad areas.

Winnebago had some major issues with the quality of the side seams that caused their buyers no end of grief, but it's not correct to blame that on the material used. Poor installation buggers up even the best material!.

IMO>  That Winne roof problem was caused by a bad design....the attachment design did not allow enough for body flex.  not bad installation.

One reason I bought a Rexhall was it was one of the very few coaches I could afford with a cast fiberglass roof.

And I think one of the reasons mid grade manufactures are using the thin flat fiberglass roof sheeting now days is so they can tell potential buyers....  " it has a one piece fiberglass roof like Monaco and Country Coach, not a rubber membrane roof".

If they figured out a better attachment for flat fiberglass sheet roofing there is nothing wrong with it.

I prefer the way a cast roof rolls 4" down over the edge and overlaps the flat wall....instead of a flat roof, and a flat wall joining right at the corner.

I hate roof leaks and it appears acid rain eats aluminum and EDPM roofs rather quickly (10-20 years)...and it will eventually eat through my fiberglass roof, but I probably won't be around to see it.

this is all just my opinions  :)

Back
Top Bottom