I shouldn't have looked...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SargeW said:
Yep, but that also shows you why you can't wait until "the right time" to make that next step. You may not be around long enough to take that step.
But I gotta wait. I make my living off of four car washes that I own in central Ky. Until I sell them, the time nor money will be there.

And that's perfectly understandable George. That comment was more geared for those that never realize the dream because they have to stick around "just a little longer" or "maybe next year".  The one comment I hear most from many new RV'ers is "I wish I would have started sooner". 

When the DW and I retired, we both could have stuck around for another 5 years to pad the savings. But in looking around us we saw several of our peers getting sick, unexpectedly dying and having life altering experiences. We had to ask ourselves "so how much money do you really need?".  We both retired at the soonest opportunity and never looked back.

SargeW said:
Yep, but that also shows you why you can't wait until "the right time" to make that next step. You may not be around long enough to take that step.

Not to hijack the thread, but that is truth. Everyone in my family still says, you gotta save for that rainy day. Good heavens. I reply by saying, "how do any of us know the when, not necessarily when we die, but when we just say I'm not doing this anymore, because of health or physical limitations put on us by age". I am at the age where my dreams mean more to me than having more money in the bank.

Get the Class A
I have had both C and  A
The A is the way to go.

Like others have said, get the guy to open the slides, spray some air freshener and take your wife in for a look.
Buying something used from someone you know has to have some value.

GeorgeandTheBear said:
But I gotta wait. I make my living off of four car washes that I own in central Ky. Until I sell them, the time nor money will be there.

Almost one year ago I was being asked to take on a new position.  I went home an told my DW who said, "Are you crazy!  You should retire!"  At that time I had not done the calculations on whether or not I could afford to retire.  I went onto Fidelity's website and ran the numbers through their simulation and it showed I could afford to retire, but still I was lacking confidence because the future is always uncertain.  That was when I hired an independent financial planner.  For the annual  fee that I pay them they analyzed our finances far better than I could ever have done, including investment, income, insurance, trusts, and more. They helped me rebalance and consolidate. Now I know exactly what I can afford and am sleeping much better in my retired life.  I went from wondering whether or not I could afford to retire to figuring out how to spend it.

Maybe you can't afford this yet, but perhaps you will be surprised.  I only wish I had hired this advice much earlier and I would have avoided some costly investment mistakes.

I?d buy it! Why to wait, even though you weren?t planning it, once you have it, you?ll make a plan of a holiday.
I think it?s really important you know the owner, much less stress with all the buying procedure.
Buy it and enjoy before all the cars become driverless  :D.
Seriously, somehow more and more bump into articles about these self-driving cars, sounds quite crazy for me. What about human drivers and the pleasure of being able to control the vehicle? Moreover, they write that people will prefer living in these driverless motor homes by 2040 https://tranio.com/world/spotlight/self-driving-mobile-homes-how-driverless-cars-will-change-the-property-market_5354/
Well, I don't know where we are going to, it's kind of cheap and convenient, but can?t really imagine our life like that.

Steven Mael said:
I?d buy it! Why to wait, even though you weren?t planning it, once you have it, you?ll make a plan of a holiday.
I think it?s really important you know the owner, much less stress with all the buying procedure.
Buy it and enjoy before all the cars become driverless  :D.
Seriously, somehow more and more bump into articles about these self-driving cars, sounds quite crazy for me. What about human drivers and the pleasure of being able to control the vehicle? Moreover, they write that people will prefer living in these driverless motor homes by 2040 https://tranio.com/world/spotlight/self-driving-mobile-homes-how-driverless-cars-will-change-the-property-market_5354/
Well, I don't know where we are going to, it's kind of cheap and convenient, but can?t really imagine our life like that.

I think you need to do a little research. To many people think they can buy a cheap RV and live on the cheap. It is more about the lifestyle and not living on the cheap. There are to maney of those fantasy stories on the web.
Bill

GeorgeandTheBear said:
I bumped into the son (the one that showed the MH) about an hour ago. He told me they sold it for 20K. Guess I should have bought it. Oh well, whad'ya gonna do?

The stars didn't line up, or it wasn't meant to be, ever how you look at it. There will be another, there always is.

Charlie 5320 said:
The stars didn't line up, or it wasn't meant to be, ever how you look at it. There will be another, there always is.
It was the "Stars" quote. I use that one all the time. I'm a pretty laid back guy and don't get too emotionally attached to material things. I know the right one will come along, usually when I'm not looking, and we will pounce.

You may have dodged a lot of problems. You want to buy as new of a gas coach because they keep geting better and have better drive trains and slides.
Look at some of the coaches in your price range.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/class-a?sortBy=price+desc&startIndex=48&
Look at similar coaches to get a idea what things are selling for.
THe fall is a good time to be looking as maney want to sell at the end of the season.
Bill

Yeah Wildebill, that's good advice. Since retirement is still 2 years out we will probably start looking harder about this time next year. Just by looking at this one and starting this thread helped me learn a lot about what we may or may not want. I'm confident that when we really start shopping hard that we should be able to find a nice rig in our 20-50K price range.

The 50K range puts you into some of the better used gas coaches PPL has a 2010 Winnebago Vista w/2 Slides for $47,995. and here is a great coach for the money.
38' 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 300hp Cummins w/3 Slides $47,995. I have a 2003 38N and have had no problems. This is a lot of coach for that price.
Keep in mind that most lending institutions don't like to lend money for coaches over 10 years old.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
The 50K range puts you into some of the better used gas coaches PPL has a 2010 Winnebago Vista w/2 Slides for $47,995. and here is a great coach for the money.
38' 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 300hp Cummins w/3 Slides $47,995. I have a 2003 38N and have had no problems. This is a lot of coach for that price.
Keep in mind that most lending institutions don't like to lend money for coaches over 10 years old.
Bill
I feel if I stay under 50K I can comfortably pay cash, so no lending institution involved. My fleet at home is all Ford. The main tech at the local Ford garage moonlights and I use him if at all possible. For this reason, I hope to buy one with the Ford drivetrain.

Are you sure you want a motorhome? Maybe you would like a trailer, bumper hitch or fifth wheel, towed by a big shiny Ford... ;)

Sprucegum said:
Are you sure you want a motorhome? Maybe you would like a trailer, bumper hitch or fifth wheel, towed by a big shiny Ford... ;)
I already drive an F-250 and we gave that some thought, but The Bear has Crohn's disease and having a bathroom readily available was more important. Gotta play the hand that is dealt ya.

GeorgeandTheBear said:
I already drive an F-250 and we gave that some thought, but The Bear has Crohn's disease and having a bathroom readily available was more important. Gotta play the hand that is dealt ya.
It was the bathroom that put us in a MH, and it couldn't have been soon enough as the DW needs have gotten greater.

GeorgeandTheBear said:
I bumped into the son (the one that showed the MH) about an hour ago. He told me they sold it for 20K. Guess I should have bought it. Oh well, whad'ya gonna do?

The way I look at a purchase like this is, if I take too long to make up my mind and it gets away - it just wasn't  meant to be mine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom