EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: I shouldn't have looked...  (Read 2552 times)

GeorgeandTheBear

• ---
I shouldn't have looked...
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
I just registered last week, posting about my retirement plans and buying a used class C within the next couple of years. I just want to learn and make a good decision when we finally get ready to buy.

As fate would have it, the very next morning as I look to pull out of my driveway, I see a nice 35' class A with a for sale sign, parked about 200 yards from my house. I wasn't looking for an A, just because of the intimidation factor of it's size, but I pulled down there and gave it a look anyway. It was buttoned up like Fort Knox so I couldn't tell much about it, other than it looked great from the outside and priced at 28K. Of course I am driving by it every day and looking over at it. I finally thought, maybe I'll call one of the phone #s listed to learn more. Much to my amazement both of the #s are already in my phone. I've known this family all my life and the owner lives just a couple hundred yards away on a parallel street, same one that I grew up on. He and his son remodeled my bathroom just a couple of years ago, spending almost a month in my house. I didn't call, but the next day I saw the son showing it to someone and curiosity got the best of me. I went down there and he showed me everything about it, all of it good. This thing is immaculate, other than changing out the front TV I wouldn't do a thing to it.

I don't know what to do. My wife is a psycho tight-wad and will panic. We were planning this about 2 years from now. I know others will come along, but this one is owned by someone I know and trust. I have no reason to doubt anything they would tell me about it. They are the second owners and have a binder full of documentation from the day it was born. Money is not a problem, we can pay cash for it. I just don't know if it makes a lot of sense to buy it now, knowing that it may not get used hardly at all for two years.

It's a 2001 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3515 DS. Ford V-10, 26K miles. It is pretty well optioned, 2 slides, 50A electric, most everything power except awning. It does not have W/D.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? It's a Georgie Boy, that's gotta be a sign.
Voted most likely to end up working at a car wash.

Charlie 5320

• ---
Re: I shouldn't have looked...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »
I'd have them have the slides out and take her down and let her look at it. You just might get surprised.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

rvannie23

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:23:36 PM »
I'm impulsive so I would buy it. You're saving yourself getting another used one inspected and maybe not knowing where it came from. If the guy is your neighbor, then if you ever had a question about something you could probably call him up. I am not big on used RVs, but I would buy one from a friend with no problem. It offers a lot of peace of mind.

Can you store it in your yard or would you have to pay a storage fee? That's a big factor. Paying storage for two years wouldn't make sense.

You may also benefit from owning it before retirement because you can take it out on some trips before you actually retire and would figure out if it's a good fit for you. If it's not, and you paid cash, then you can sell and get something more suited to you when the time comes.

2014 Laredo 274rb TT
2015 Duramax
FL - MS - TX

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:37:08 PM »
Depending on price, it could be a good place to start. I haven't looked at what that coach is selling for but 28K may be a fair price. This would let you get some experience and give you a better idea of what you want/need when you retire.
Check the date codes on the tiers. They need to be replaced at 7 years old.  Check all the systems, operate everything and take it for a good test drive. See if you can get to everything you need on the road with the slides in. Test the slides. Run the generator (under load) Air conditioners. Refrigerator on propane and electric.
Let us know and if you have any questions just ask.
Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:26:01 PM »
Take it for a test drive and bring your check book. You will not regret the purchase. Class As are way better than class Cs. I have owned several of both.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:36:51 PM »
There's an old saying..."A bird in hand is worth 10 in the bush."

Me...I'd just buy it. I'm a real man. "DUCK!!!! INCOMING"

2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 11:41:11 PM »
^^^^ :)) :))
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
2016 photos:
My portfolio:

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:56:45 AM »
Don't forget the old saying; "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."  While you may be the man of the house, momma will have to be in on the decision. Before you even let her know how interested you are in buying it, wait and see what she says after she looks at it. Use some reverse psychology. If you tell her you like it and want to buy it, I am almost sure she will say, "hell" no!! But if you allow her to make the decision, and you just happen to agree with her, she will think she made a great decision and a great deal and thank you for being so supportive.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 05:30:46 AM »
Don't forget the old saying; "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."  While you may be the man of the house, momma will have to be in on the decision. Before you even let her know how interested you are in buying it, wait and see what she says after she looks at it. Use some reverse psychology. If you tell her you like it and want to buy it, I am almost sure she will say, "hell" no!! But if you allow her to make the decision, and you just happen to agree with her, she will think she made a great decision and a great deal and thank you for being so supportive.
^^^^ :)) :))
Life list of birds:
2016 photos:
My portfolio:

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 06:16:16 AM »
I have said that saying before, and my wife may fuss at me a good bit. If someone didn't really know us, they would think I'm henpecked to death. Yes, she's involved in making decisions, and we discuss everything extra we spend, I mean even for a $5.00 tourist cup, but in the end I have the final say, cut and dried. I often go with what she wants, but not all the time. If I make a decision she doesn't like, she just goes with it and gets on with life. And no, I don't get it thrown up in my face if it's a bad decision. She knows I'll beat myself up enough for both of us.
If the coach checks out, and that's what you guys want, and get it a an agreeable price, go for it.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 06:29:09 AM »
I will say this about the class A.. THE FIRST time or two you drive it. Yes that mother is BIG. and I mean BIG, even professional over the road Semi drivers who haul thousands of pounds of steel say the first time in a class A it is BIG.

But.. Took me about 3 trips before I was as comfrortable as driving my car.

And once I had a trac bar and steering stablizer put on.. MORE comfortable than driving the car.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 07:21:41 AM »
     We were in the exact position when we bought our Class A.  We were travelling with friends, I was still smoking, and we stopped to let me have a puff.  There was a coach sitting on the grass in from of a park with a for sale sign on it, we called and DW fell in love with it, 4 years before planned retirement.  We bought it, and used it for 11 years, putting about 50,000 miles on it and sold it for over half what we paid for it.
     Best impulsive decision we ever made.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Peteyboy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 07:28:04 AM »
Our last impulse buy cost us about $200 K,,, YIKES !!!!!  But, we love it and haven't had one regret.  We saved all our life and now it's time to spend.
Pete & Sandy
2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
11 CRV

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 07:36:24 AM »
Don't pass up a great deal just because you were afraid to look at it. It's free to look, and there may even still be some negotiating room in the price. That would make the DW happy. Just don't go looking with rose colored glasses. Be critical of everything, including the age of the tires and not just how they look.  Look UP, for any signs of water spots on the roof.

Start the search now, it gives you more peace of mind, and yes, you may find a great deal right away.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

GeorgeandTheBear

• ---
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 07:42:07 AM »
Although my wife can squeeze a nickel until the buffalo craps, she is the most thoughtful and generous person I have ever seen. If I tell her I love it and want it, she will go along with it because it is for me. Money is not an object if she is doing something for someone else, especially me. It can be difficult (sometimes impossible) to separate her feelings. She can love something, but be so consumed with the $$$ signs that I can't get an honest answer out of her. She's been out of town this week, so when she gets home I'll see if I can get her to go look at it and take it from there. I love her too much to try to trick her into giving her seal of approval. If she tells me she loves it and can picture us in it...well, we pretty much know how that will turn out. :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:49:45 AM by GeorgeandTheBear »
Voted most likely to end up working at a car wash.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 08:21:49 AM »
This may (or may not) help in your (her) assessment! : http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2001/Georgie-Boy/M-3515DS-Ford/3006728/Values

Don't add any options, add mileage if requested. This will at least give you a starting point in establishing a value, however it is NOT the bible. Tires are one expensive replacement should they be needed, check manufacturing dates (7 years old max) as was suggested above.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:39:05 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

KandT

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 08:34:57 AM »
This may (or may not) help in your (her) assessment! : http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2001/Georgie-Boy

Don't add any options, add mileage if requested. This will at least give you a starting point in establishing a value, however it is NOT the bible. Tires are one expensive replacement should they be needed, check as was suggested above.

It does seem highly priced.  We bought ours below low retail from an individual.
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »
That sounds like an attractive deal, so take Mama to see it and explain why it's an opportunity.  Assuming you are right about the condition and the present owners, it's may be too good to pass up.

The asking price is above average, but at that age condition is everything. Unlike cars, the market price varies a lot by condition, region, and season, so you can't go solely on NADA values.  If it has been well cared for and lightly used, the price may not too far out of line. I'd negotiate, though, and try to get it for 20k or so.  View the RV Buting checklists in the RVforum library and assess the condition and potential costs if you buy. Tires are a huge expense, so if the tires are several years old, plan on replacing them and figure that into the price.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
I first saw our current Class A couch for sale in a parking lot not far from our NY cottage and gave it a quick look. The condition and asking price were enough to know that we would likely be interested in seeing more of it, but I then I got busy with other things for a couple of days and forgot about it. Then my wife went shopping with our daughter, and came home with the news that she had found a motorhome for sale that she thought we should go look at. Of course, it turned out to be the same one that I had seen, and after meeting with the owner, liking the floorplan, maintenance records, etc. we said we would discuss it and get back to him. We got in the car to go home, and my wife said to wait a minute. She handed me a slip of paper with a number a few thousand less than the asking price, and said "Lets make him an offer." Well, we did, and after a brief negotiation we made the deal and gave him a deposit. Two days later we completed the deal and brought the coach home. A few weeks later we sold our older coach, and recouped about 2/3's of what we paid for the newer one. My wife still tells people that she was the one that found our current home, and I don't argue the point at all!  ;D
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

rvannie23

• ---
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »

My eyes cannot roll and further back in my head at this comment. George surely your wife is an intelligent and independently thinking woman who would understand your thinking if you explained why this motorhome peaked your interest. I'm sure together, through honest communication, logic, and reason, you guys will come to the right decision together. Seems to me there have been others in your shoes as far as finding the coach of their dreams before their planned purchase and it worked out nicely for them.
2014 Laredo 274rb TT
2015 Duramax
FL - MS - TX

KandT

• ---
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »

My eyes cannot roll and further back in my head at this comment.
;D Apparently, you have never been in the middle of a LONG trip with a Mama that ain't happy!  I don't care what size your RV is - It becomes the size of a Honda Civic.

2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad

KandT

• ---
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
That sounds like an attractive deal, so take Mama to see it and explain why it's an opportunity.  Assuming you are right about the condition and the present owners, it's may be too good to pass up.

The asking price is above average, but at that age condition is everything. Unlike cars, the market price varies a lot by condition, region, and season, so you can't go solely on NADA values.  If it has been well cared for and lightly used, the price may not too far out of line. I'd negotiate, though, and try to get it for 20k or so.  View the RV Buting checklists in the RVforum library and assess the condition and potential costs if you buy. Tires are a huge expense, so if the tires are several years old, plan on replacing them and figure that into the price.

Completely agree on the price comments.  Condition and if was stored indoors AND from someone you trust mean I would bump my price up several thousand.  I agree with Gary though twenty thousand seems more in line.  At some point no matter how good it was taken care of it breaks down.  Also, that year has the four speed tranny and I think a slightly lower hp engine.  I think it was four years later they upgraded to the five speed.
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad

blw2

• ---
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:41 AM »
Sometimes it is better to just jump, rather than getting caught up in analysis paralysis
But I think with impulse buying it's hard to take off the rose colored glasses, as someone else suggested.
And when dealing with friends it may be hard, even if on a sub conscience level, to be critical

My other thought is, that if this is the first MH you've looked at, you may find that the floorplan really isn't that great of a fit for you.  Floorplan is very important, and if it "fits" you and your needs.
I think what I might do if I were in your shoes, is if after taking DW to see it she's open to the idea.... then I might take a quick trip down to the local RV dealership to step into as many other com parables as you can.
You might get spoiled with the new bells and whistles and that might make it hard to go back to old and used.... that is a risk
you might find that there are features that are really important that don't exist in the Georgie Boy
or you might firm up that it really is a great deal and a good fit for you.

Hey, if it is a good buy even if not a perfect fit, you could always use it for a couple years to better figure out your wants and needs, then trade up later.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »
Sometimes it is better to just jump, rather than getting caught up in analysis paralysis
But I think with impulse buying it's hard to take off the rose colored glasses, as someone else suggested.
And when dealing with friends it may be hard, even if on a sub conscience level, to be critical

My other thought is, that if this is the first MH you've looked at, you may find that the floorplan really isn't that great of a fit for you.  Floorplan is very important, and if it "fits" you and your needs.
I think what I might do if I were in your shoes, is if after taking DW to see it she's open to the idea.... then I might take a quick trip down to the local RV dealership to step into as many other com parables as you can.
You might get spoiled with the new bells and whistles and that might make it hard to go back to old and used.... that is a risk
you might find that there are features that are really important that don't exist in the Georgie Boy
or you might firm up that it really is a great deal and a good fit for you.

Hey, if it is a good buy even if not a perfect fit, you could always use it for a couple years to better figure out your wants and needs, then trade up later.
:)) :)) :))
Good advice Brad. I would add that you might consider either renting an RV for a weekend or see if you can borrow the one you are looking at and go camping in that one. Even if it is just an overnight in your driveway it will be very revealing.
Life list of birds:
2016 photos:
My portfolio:

SissyBoyFloyd

• ---
  • If we aren't laughing, we aren't living!
    • The Spirit Within
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
I will just add my thought.  If you don't really need it for 2 years and won't be using it really, maybe you should figure in the fact that it will depreciate some over those 2 years.  Another words, in 2 years you could buy the "same coach" for less money when you are actually ready to use it.  Also consider that a lot can happen in 2 years and you may be having different ideas about what you want and will do.  That said, if you could buy it at no greater cost than mid-NADA suggested price, you may not lose much if you decide in 2 yrs you want to go in a different direction.  If you pay 5-10 thousand over book now, plus cost of storage and upkeep for two years, you won't be coming out very well dollar wise, especially if you have to sell it.

Now, all that I said is just head thought.  Sometimes if something presents itself to you out of the blue and seems right in your heart, that is the right thing to do.  You can't put a price on peace of mind and 'fate'.

Pawnee,
Buffalo Hunter

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »
Well here's my 2¢.

It's usually not a good thing to let a MH "sit" unused for long periods of time.
This one is 16 years old and only has 26K miles?  That just over 1600 miles per year. 
And now your not going to use it much for 2 more years?

Well you got one part right - I usually tell people to buy bigger then they think they need so a Class A is way better then a Class C - IMO.

Some of it will depend on how you planned to use it - when you do retire.  Weekends a few times a year is way different
then month's at a time or more.  When the slides are in - could the wife walk to the bathroom?  Easily? In some you can't.
Did you ever think about if you wanted to tow a car behind a MH? 

I'm not saying don't buy it - just that you are new to this and probably don't know what you want yet because you haven't studied it enough.
That comes with time.  Yes sometimes a good deal appears and this might be a good starter MH for you.
But make no mistake, MH's are in need of maintenance on a regular basis, unless you don't care about the shape it stays in.

Please keep us informed as to what happens with the wife and how she reacts to this new venture you want to take on.

2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »
Perhaps you could get her to take a look on the basis of it being a "learning experience" so you'll both have a better idea of what you might want in your motorhome when the time comes. Who knows, she might just surprise you!
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:39 PM »
My overwhelming thought is that when you find "the" RV you both like and want, then go for it.  You've got two years to USE it off and on before retirement.  Why do people always say they'll do something after they retire??  We started RVing when we were in our 30s and we're still RVing 45 years later and well into retirement.  Life is too short to wait to do and see things.  If you want to go RVing then start now even if it's only a week here and week there.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Howard R

• ---
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
A few thoughts ...

Many folks here would agree that they wish they had started sooner.  We moved up to a Class A from a popup trailer maybe 10-15 years ago.  It was a 28 foot 1999 Coachmen Mirada, no slides, a basic entry level coach.  As I recall it had about 30,000 miles and we paid around 29K (best I can remember), daughter has it now.  We used it on weekends and longer trips ... several weeks out after we retired.  Used it to go to grandkids sports events.  Nice place to hang out when they have a game in the morning and another several hours later.
While wife was still working as an RN at 2 different facilities she mistakenly scheduled a swing shift at one, and day shift 8 hours later at the other.  Got permission to park at 2nd facility, picked her up about midnight, drove to 2nd.  She went to bed on the way (a few miles).  Got up next morning, showered, had breakfast and went to work at 7am, much more rested than if she had gone home between shifts.
Me ... I went home for a cup of coffee and a nap!  ;D

Point being there are lots of ways you can use the RV even between trips if you like.  And it's nice to just get away for a couple of days at a local nearby campground ... no lawn to mow ... can't paint the house.  And really great when on a trip ... clothes, food, bed ...  everything you need just feet away.

Floor plan is very important.  When we looking for the coach we have now, I learned to send wife in first ... wait about 30 seconds, because that was about all it took if she didn't like it.  If she wasn't already back I would go in and look too !  :)

So sounds like potentially a good deal ... if DW (Dear wife) likes it, buying from someone you know and can easily go back to for the inevitable questions you will have ... there is a definite learning curve ... maybe not priceless, but definitely valuable.
Remember we're not getting any younger ... other things being equal, enjoy it.   ;D

Howard
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 35R
V10   F53
2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
Minnesota

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 12:08:59 AM »
Im with the ones who say go for it. Really, there is no reason to wait. My DH and I waited, found a coach we wanted, bought it, now he is sick and will be lucky enough to live till next year. Our travels have to be planned with his health issues in mind, and we can't plan ahead for things like rallys.

So what if you only use it a few weekends a year. Thats a few weekends more than you would have if youd not bought it. I also think that you just may use it more often than you think you will.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

Hosted by Over The Network