I shouldn't have looked...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GeorgeandTheBear said:
Many, many vehicles are on the roads with tires over 7 years old.
Tires on an RV that are over 7 years old are extremely dangerous. Tires don't wear out from the outside but from the inside making them weak and subject to a catastrophic blowout. A blowout on an RV is not the same as a blowout on a normal car or a semi truck. A blowout can do a lot of damage to the wheel well and the plumbing, electrical and propane systems located nearby.

As was mentioned the problem is a blowout on a motorhome can easily do $5,000 to $10,000 worth of damage or more.

GeorgeandTheBear said:
I know everything on the coach won't be an option. That's why I only went by what was listed on the OPTION section of the sticker, nothing from the standard equipment column.

1 Many, many vehicles are on the roads with tires over 7 years old. I doubt that he ever knew that tire age could be an issue.
2 I know these people, they are meticulous about everything, just probably don't get, or even know about tire dates.
3 The VIN is xxxx [VIN removed at GeorgeandtheBear request] if someone can come up with a more accurate value.
1  There very well be vehicles on the road with tires over 7 years. This coach has tires that are over 17 years old, big difference.
2  with tires 17 years old proves they are NOT meticulous about everything.
3  Go to the link I gave you, that gives the value, you just don't want to accept it.

George if you want to pay 10 grand over what this coach is worth, go ahead. It's YOUR money. There is NO WAY I would pay more than high retail on any coach. Dealers aren't even asking what they are for comparable coachs. You buy the coach and want to trade it next year, you won't even get 12 grand for it trade in. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear. List what options what YOU think are options on this coach. Sure like to see the list.

GeorgeandTheBear said:
Well, The Bear got to see it today. Of course she liked it, but without a point of reference she really didn't know how much or little. The seller told us that someone had looked at it earlier today and said they would take it, but he had no money in hand, so we know that means basically nothing. I took a picture of the original sticker with all the options and used them on the NADA estimator. I didn't really understand all of the option choices, but I came up with a value just under 25K. The tire date codes are 3600, so it appears that these are the tires it was born with. Furthermore, the fronts are Goodyear G159 which I understand are rolling bombs, on top of being 17 years old.

So, armed with this info this MH seems to be worth 20-22K. Since we are in no hurry we will probably leave it be for now. If he still has it when winter rolls around I may offer him 20K. Most likely someone else will grab it and start enjoying it right away. If that happens I'll be happy for them.

This forum is a great resource. Just the tire advice saved me thousands, not even considering the safety factor. Thanks

But, now you know that both you and your DW like a Class A.  Seems to me you should expand your search to Class As until you find the ideal floor plan and manufacturer and then do a systematic search using something like RVTrader.com.  Now that you have seen a Class A and liked it, you will be comparing everything else to that and and will regret buying any Class A or Class C that excites you less, especially since you now realize that you can afford one of those.

Charlie,

1 - I agree, and would plan on replacing them if I bought it.
2 - I still stand by my statement. This is just a lack of knowledge. I doubt there is anything in the documentation for this coach about tire dates. I know that 20 years ago I never heard anything about the age of a tire. I think this is a product of the Ford Explorer/Firestone issue.
3 - I'm confused here. I go to the link and it states an average retail of $24,990.

As I stated last night, we're probably going to pass on it unless the price comes down significantly. As far as trade-in value, I've never traded in a vehicle in my life. I've never been offered anything close to what I get by selling privately. That being said, I always get the vehicle price nailed down before I mention that I may trade. This gets the actual trade-in price and not just the price on paper.

I have the photo I took of the option list, but don't know how to post it here. I could e-mail it to you if you wanted to post and decipher it. I didn't photo the whole sticker, just that section.

I took a picture of the original sticker with all the options and used them on the NADA estimator. I didn't really understand all of the option choices, but I came up with a value just under 25K.

I know this seems strange, but the factory option list for a motorhome is not a realistic way to assess its marketable options. The NADA RV price is "as typically equipped" rather than "how the factory came up with a price".  As typically equipped means the way dealers order them for their sales lot and the way buyers expect them to be.  For example, NADA pricing for a motorhome assumes an awning and generator, whether the factory called them options or standard. On a Class A I think  electric steps and leveling jacks are also assumed.  If it did not have those features, most buyers would DEDUCT for them! So would a dealer on trade-in or re-sale.

I cannot imagine what sort of options a 2001 GB Cruise Master could have that would raise the retail price several thousand dollars.

In any case, the tires are a disaster waiting to happen. Argue all you like whether 7 years is a high risk age, but Michelin says their tires are a useful life span of 10 years max, and then only with regular inspections. Not 17! And I would challenge anybody to find many vehicles on the road with 17 year old tires. Or even 10 year old.

RVs are about the only class of vehicle where the tire is likely to get very old before it is physically worn out (tread wear) or damaged. There are probably some cars driven by the proverbial "little old lady" as well, but those aren't common.  We bought one of those once, a like-new Oldsmobile station wagon that was 9 years old and had 21k miles on it.  3 tires failed within a year!

I doubt there is anything in the documentation for this coach about tire dates.

Documentation?? No there isn't but the tire manufacture date is stamped into each tire starting with the DOT designation. Information on how to decode this  can be found here: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=Glossary under " tire manufacturing"....

Although the problem with old tires applies to all tires, automobiles have much less of a problem because they are used much more often. It becomes much more prominent in tires that do a lot of sitting around between uses as in motor homes. 7 years old is the usual accepted maximum lifetime of a motor home tire.

The options originally installed in the motor home is almost meaningless as it is too difficult to determine what was 'standard equipment" and what was a paid for option unless it was something expensive like a 2nd air conditioner etc.The estimated values listed under the online NADA are based on annual depreciation from the MSRP alone when added equipment is not considered and the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) is supposed to contain all the standard options prices. The printed NADA book that is used by dealers, banks, etc is much more detailed.

I don't get where you guys think I'm trying to justify that 17 year old tires are not a disaster waiting to happen. You're putting words into my mouth. I agree that I would be afraid of them and would replace them immediately. I'm just quantifying the lack of knowledge of a couple nearing 80 that probably doesn't spend a ton of time on the web like we do. That being said, when a tire reaches 7 years old I'm not going to be terrified and think they are all going to pop at 7 years, 1 day.

Once again, I have known these people for over 50 years. Their brother was our next door neighbor, my dad's best-man, and sadly a pallbearer. Their nephew was my best friend growing up. I've been hunting and fishing with three generations of this family. When they remodeled my bathroom we left for four days and let them have the run of the house. These are not some strangers I met through Craigslist.

I love it when people come here to ask our opinion and then argue with the experts that they are wrong. We are trying to help you. Tires are not going to magically pop at 7 years and one day, however at that age they start to become dangerous. Considering the risk it is an expensive gamble. If I were to buy that RV I would have it towed to a tire shop. I have been hearing this as long as I have owned RVs which is a long time. The RV you are looking at is worth $15k at the most. No matter what NADA says and no matter how long you have know these people. It doesn't natter if it is typically equipped or not. All used RVs are judged by the same standard. It is used so the options do not matter. If you want to overpay that is your prerogative. But since you really don't know anything about RVs I would suggest you slow down and start learning about them before spending the money. As I said before you need to rent one or two and you and you need to drive a few and walk through a whole bunch. Typically I spend three to six months shopping for an RV. If you stumbled into the RV of your dreams on the first one I am happy for you but if you buy it right now I doubt if you would keep it longer than a year. That is the typical lifespan of a newbys first coach. You gotta use one for a while to figure out what it is you really want in an RV.

I know you guys are trying to help me and you have. I've already said we are probably going to pass on it, agreed that the tires are dangerous and the price is too high. I obviously don't understand the NADA thing, I was just stating what I actually saw in the link provided. I don't have rose colored glasses on regarding this MH. Regarding the people that own it, I don't need them.

The reason the options are worthless is because they are usually what goes bad on old RVs. The microwave, refer and all the other appliances are like 17 years old. And the have been living in a bad environment. Motorhomes are driven down bumpy roads at 65 mph and that is very hard on appliances. These appliances are not generally designed specifically for motorhomes, they are usually off the shelf units designed for commercial use. Except the refer and hot water heater which are designed for a motorhome. But the vibration destroys the seals on the refer meaning that it will not keep things as cold as it should. It would be almost impossible to find an RV over 5 years old that the refer seals were still viable. Also there is the problem that these options are not really what the buyer wants, but you can't configure a used RV to your specifications. This is the exact same advice every newbie gets here. Ignore the options.

"The owner is 76 years old and I think this is the only one he has ever owned. Many, many vehicles are on the roads with tires over 7 years old. I doubt that he ever knew that tire age could be an issue. It has only seemed to rear it's head in this era where everyone seems to want to sue over every single thing. I know these people, they are meticulous about everything, just probably don't get, or even know about tire dates."
He may not have known about age of tires being a problem but you should. It has nothing to do with everyone seems to want to sue over every single thing. It has to do with safety. Michelin does say 10 years is the max, they also state that after 7 the tiers should be dismounted and inspected by a dealer every year. So that is $50.00  each tire to demount and remount and balance it becomes cheaper to just get new.  You can check around no tire store will work on a 10 year old tire. Some tires don't make 7 years. I lost tread on a inside duell Friday. I was replacing the front tires as they were 7 years old and had a problem with a 5 year old tire.
Bill

Once again, I agree the tires are dangerous and need to be replaced! I never said they didn't.

What I said about the world being "sue happy" and the "Ford/Firestone" debacle is my opinion, nothing more...geez

GeorgeandTheBear said:
Once again, I agree the tires are dangerous and need to be replaced! I never said they didn't.

What I said about the world being "sue happy" and the "Ford/Firestone" debacle is my opinion, nothing more...geez
Just trying to educate you so the Bear doesn't have to. ;D
Bill

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The NADA RV price is "as typically equipped" rather than "how the factory came up with a price".  As typically equipped means the way dealers order them for their sales lot and the way buyers expect them to be.  For example, NADA pricing for a motorhome assumes an awning and generator, whether the factory called them options or standard. On a Class A I think  electric steps and leveling jacks are also assumed.  If it did not have those features, most buyers would DEDUCT for them! So would a dealer on trade-in or re-sale.
Gary, I've looked at a LOT of mid to late 90s and early 2000 coachs. Only about 50% of them had hydraulic levelers and less than that had electric steps. A lot of entry level coachs DON'T come with all the goodies. Many don't even come with an awning or a generator. People forget this stuff when they are accustomed to the higher end coachs.

Just because a dealer orders a coach a certain way don't mean it wasn't an option for that particular coach. How many late 90s Winnebago Warriors or Braves have you seen with levelers?

Well, I'm pretty bummed today. Not because we didn't get the motorhome which I think they sold last week, but the seller passed away today. I knew he had health issues, just didn't know how far advanced. Just reinforces how trivial material things actually are. RIP Fabian.

Yep, but that also shows you why you can't wait until "the right time" to make that next step. You may not be around long enough to take that step.

Didn't Ford update the V10 to 4 valve at some point? Not that the 2 valve was bad but you may want to find out what year it was for future shopping.

Back
Top Bottom