Smoky West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

Many of you may be aware of the way the smoke from the B.C. fires is spreading. We left Denver Tues (it had been smoky there for several days) and the smoky haze persisted all the way to Landers, WY. On Wed. it stayed with us all the way to the Tetons -- talk about restricted viewing! As I write this Thurs eve. from the Gros Ventre campground, it's still just as smoky -- well maybe a slight reduction -- and hindering the views.

We had the same experience a few years ago when we went up on the tram at Sun Valley, Idaho.  It was fun going up but there wasn't much to see.  Maybe you need to head in another direction!  Yes, I know, you want to go where YOU want to go, not where the haze chases you....

ArdraF

I am crossing my fingers that there won't be smoke where we are for the eclipse. We will be in Idaho, northeast of Boise some. I look at the fire maps pretty much every day.

Smoke from big fires is a major issue especially in the west (But I've seen it in the Mid West as well)

And as the T-Shirt says "Only you can prevent forest fires" / "Seriously, we have been defunded"  /  "The Forest service".

Currently in the Columbia River Gorge and haven't seen Mt Hood or Mt Adams in more than a week.

I was in Banff the week of July 16th and was 20 miles from the wildfires.
Took a while to recover from the smoke inhalation. Not really noticeable until you start hacking brown.. :(

I can't see across the valley this morning. Another fire started about 6 miles south of us yesterday, the crew was on it quickly but we have not heard any more. We should be alright as long as it doesn't jump the valley. Between the late flooding and fires the tourist industry has been hit hard.

Many fires buring in Oregon and Washington.  Air quality is suffering in most places.  Many lightening strikes south of us yesterday but haven't yet heard if they started any new fires.

Larry N. said:
Many of you may be aware of the way the smoke from the B.C. fires is spreading. We left Denver Tues (it had been smoky there for several days) and the smoky haze persisted all the way to Landers, WY. On Wed. it stayed with us all the way to the Tetons -- talk about restricted viewing! As I write this Thurs eve. from the Gros Ventre campground, it's still just as smoky -- well maybe a slight reduction -- and hindering the views.
Hey that's where we are. In spot 168. Pop by for a beer in the evening if you are still around

Currently in the Columbia River Gorge and haven't seen Mt Hood or Mt Adams in more than a week.

We are here too. We can barely see the mountains across the river for all the haze (we are on the Washington side). I'll try to get pictures tomorrow going over Bridge of the Gods, you can barely see much up or down river.

jackiemac said:
Hey that's where we are. In spot 168. Pop by for a beer in the evening if you are still around

Gosh, wish I'd seen this post yesterday, Jackie. We're leaving this morning for Cody, hoping to get away before 9 AM, but if I get a minute I may walk over there to say, "Hi."

RAIN WE GOT RAIN!!! Not a lot but every little bit helps, the smoke has pretty much cleared off for the moment. I'm wearing long pants for the first time in over a month. ;D

Larry N. said:
Does this look familiar Jackie? Around 8:30 this morning?
Yup that is us ? shame we missed you. I will get to meet someone in person on the forum one day! We were jn Cody a few weeks ago. Nice town. We drove up the Beartooth highway from the Cody side, it is a great drive.  Have fun.

jackiemac said:
Yup that is us ? shame we missed you. I will get to meet someone in person on the forum one day! We were jn Cody a few weeks ago. Nice town. We drove up the Beartooth highway from the Cody side, it is a great drive.  Have fun.

We left Cody yesterday morning and drove home (Denver area), U.S. 20 to Casper, then I-25. The further we got, the less smoky -- ran through a few light showers, too. This morning the mountains were more visible (less haze/no smoke) than we usually get around here -- pretty morning -- though it appears to be preparing for a storm this afternoon.

There may yet be a chance for a gettogether, Jackie, but it's so dependent on plans not yet made.

Safe travels...

Roy M said:
RAIN WE GOT RAIN!!! Not a lot but every little bit helps, the smoke has pretty much cleared off for the moment. I'm wearing long pants for the first time in over a month. ;D
What is this 'long pants' thing you speak of? We don't have that species here in Florida. ;D

Anyone have any updates on the air quality?  Was seeing the forecast for West Yellowstone is smokey.
We are going west soon and wondering if the experience is going to be screwed by a continuing haze from fires.

My wife went up to Wilsonville, OR (just south of Portland) yesterday, and she said ash was falling out of the sky like snowflakes. The fire in the Columbia Gorge (Eagle Creek Fire) has been spreading like, well, wildfire. Weather is supposed to change today with reduced winds and onshore flow, which will cool things off a bit. I can't remember so much smoke from wildfires in all my 71 years.

Back
Top Bottom