4 Season Ultralight - Dream or Possibly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IheartRVs

Hi, I'm based in the Northwest, and am looking for a 4-season trailer with a bathroom that is less than 2,000 pounds. My research has come up dry and since I'm new to RVing, I thought I'd ask here. I don't necessarily plan on full-timing, but want the option to camp in the cold weather, and you folks seem to be the most knowledgeable.  Thanks in advance for answering my question!

I am assuming you are looking for something that will take 20 degree nights, not zero degree nights, because you say northwest. The things that make a trailer 4 season weigh a significant amount - insulated tanks, ducted furnace heat into the tank area, dual pane windows, more wall and ceiling insulation. I have never seen any of those things in a 2000 pound package. Do you just want something to spend a weekend on occasion? If so, you can winterize your trailer and then use only water jugs (not the trailer's tanks) and flush the toilet with RV antifreeze. You will still be running your furnace non-stop because of limited insulation, but it would work for a limited time. That is probably the extent of your choices in that lightweight a trailer.

BTW, we used to camp with a pop up in the Rocky Mountains during shoulder seasons when temps were down to 25 at night but warmed up during the day. It was not a comfortable thing, but we were experienced tent campers, loved the season and area, and knew the drill. Not something I would recommend for new campers.

Less than 2000 lbs? That's small pop-up territory. Even the smallest R-Pod is over 2300 lbs empty and around 3000 in travel form. MyPod from Little Guys Trailers are in that weight range, but no bathroom there.

http://golittleguy.com/

Thanks again everyone for the responses. I'm considering this RV because it has so many features within my tow weight. As you mentioned,  I am looking for something that can tolerate weather in the 20's, not zero, and winterizing by wrapping my tanks, using water jugs, and running my heater sounds like the best way to go for the short get-aways I'd be doing durng the winter in the PNW. 

This trailer is pricey, amd there's a long waiting list for them with the manufacturer,  but I think this my be my best option.

http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes

Well, it's certainly small and light. And promises a lot of features for a 17 footer. Not sure how they fit all that stuff into such a small space, but best of luck with it!

For that much money you could buy a new (used) truck and get a much more capable trailer. Then again, maybe you have other reasons for having a small car. Note you really won't be able to keep any water in the trailer tanks or lines below freezing; it isn't a matter of just heating the tank. I have a friend who loves her little T@B trailer, and she just puts a portapotty in it. She camps for two weeks at a time in the summer plus numerous weekend trips and has for 5-6 years. Just her, and she loves her little trailer. She tows it with a Subaru Outback, and the weight just about maxes out the vehicle but is legal (she weighed it). Then again, many of my friends are dedicated tent campers in their 50s and 60s, so she is living in the lap of luxury. Of course we are living in absolute decadence with our 24' trailer LOL!

Enjoy the outdoors no matter what you end up with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom