Battery disconnects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

I put a new house battery on my camper now what should I do when I have my camper at home should I have my battery disconnect on use or store position

If you can plug it in to at least a 15 amp receptacle, keep it in the "use" position. If you can't keep it plugged in, put it in the "store" position. If not kept plugged in, monitor the battery charge weekly to ensure that you still don't kill the new battery. Charge as needed. Some store/use switches don't disconnect all the 12 volt loads. Either way, check the electrolyte levels in your battery at least every 30 days, and add distilled water as needed.

ANother option when stored is to make sure the battery is FULLY charged and then LIFT the Negative leads off.. IF more than one tie them together but do not connect to the battery... At this point EVERYTHING is disconnected. nothing works with the possible exception of steps on a motor home (They may be a chassis battery device)

However even then regular monitoring of battery SOC (State of charge) is indicated,, Just monthly.  ALl batteries chassis too unless you disconnect it physically as well,

one of the first things I did was to put one of these on both batteries....one on the house and one on the chassis
https://www.gamainc.com/product/bs200/
When I store, I first push the store button, then disconnect the batteries.
I don't trust that it disconnects everything, and even if it does there could be some slight current flowing through the wiring through a leaking connection.

I've replaced too many batteries that were killed from the self discharge over time, dropping too low in charge, so i figure they don't need any help

The coach battery disconnect does NOT disconnect everything. It intentionally leaves LP detector and steps (if powered) online, for safety reasons. Likewise the chassis battery is connected to keep the ECM alive, save learned driver patterns, radio settings, etc. Whether that is a problem for long term storage is for you to decide.

blw2, what would you use for the Trojan batteries, which have the single screw on the top and not the round post?

Back
Top Bottom